IGNORED

Xbox Live IS Sweet!

sdstuff64

Usually at night. I'm in Ohio so I'm est. Weekends most likely all throughout the day. If you start to talk and you hear a womans voice then my girlfriends on. Her names Jen. Mess with her head a little :D

Hmmmmm ok if you say so!I'll try to play with you this weekend!

Anybody else on Xbox Live here? :? :) :D

I use the name "Velarium" online, but I'm not on much -- crunch time at work.  So what am I doing here, now?  Shhhh....

Eric

Don't worry,I won't tell anyone... ;)

Cool!What games do you have? :D :? :ponder:

Ah, only the demo games so far...but I'm shipping some new software to my customers come hell or high water Dec 2, so I'm planning on treating myself to Unreal once I get back from that business trip. Unreal Tournament is the only game I like for my PS2, and I really can't wait to play UR2003 online!

Eric

I use the name "Velarium" online, but I'm not on much -- crunch time at work.  So what am I doing here, now?  Shhhh....

Eric

Don't worry,I won't tell anyone... ;)

Cool!What games do you have? :D :? :ponder:

Ah, only the demo games so far...but I'm shipping some new software to my customers come hell or high water Dec 2, so I'm planning on treating myself to Unreal once I get back from that business trip. Unreal Tournament is the only game I like for my PS2, and I really can't wait to play UR2003 online!

Eric

Yes,Unreal Championship is very good!it is fun and easy.And from what I have played so far,there is very little lag. :D :) 8)

a couple question for anybody that's Live...

is there a monthly charge? do you get a certain length of time when you subscribe?

also, is connecting ever a problem? is there ever any annoying freeze-ups or anything?

You pay $50 the kit,and you get a year with that.

I have never had a problem connecting so I would have to say no. :) :ponder: :D

is there a monthly charge? do you get a certain length of time when you subscribe?

also, is connecting ever a problem? is there ever any annoying freeze-ups or anything?

that sounds pretty sweet! it seems that sony and nintendo screwed up the online thing, and its good to see that somebody pulled it off right at launch!

that sounds pretty sweet! it seems that sony and nintendo screwed up the online thing, and its good to see that somebody pulled it off right at launch!

Yes, I happen to agree with this statement. The whole online strategy was already in the works even during the xbox development cycle. I can see why people are concerned that the LIVE network is broadband only, but if you look at it from microsoft's perspective, they're in this for the long haul and want to build the online infrastructure from the ground up that will be ready for the future. This way when xbox 2 or whatever it's called then comes out, the network will largely be in place and ready for the next generation of games because it's already broadband only.

Sony and Nintendo did not bank on the fact that online gaming was going to be important for this current generation of consoles and have put themselves at a significant disadvantage for the next generation of their consoles...much of that infrastructure will have to be tweaked or rebuilt for PS3 and GC2.

Dreamcast pioneered the whole online gaming aspect, but what killed them is that it took far too long to get it up and running...I remember buying my DC in 1999 on launch day and basically staring at the unused 56K modem attached to my system wondering when/if I could ever use it for gaming (aside from DC webbrowsing).

Right or wrong, my take is that the xbox's online strategy is by far the most solid for today and in the future. From what I've heard, it seems be working rather well this early in it's life, so you can see that much thought and research has gone into this option.

Sony and Nintendo did not bank on the fact that online gaming was going to be important for this current generation of consoles and have put themselves at a significant disadvantage for the next generation of their consoles...much of that infrastructure will have to be tweaked or rebuilt for PS3 and GC2.

i agree with you here. sony and nintendo may have 1 good title each for their online service, but microsoft has obviously put more effort into it. i just wish it wasnt BB only... :sad:

i agree with you here. sony and nintendo may have 1 good title each for their online service, but microsoft has obviously put more effort into it. i just wish it wasnt BB only... :sad:

At first I was upset that it was BB only, but the more I thought about it the more it makes sense. Without xboxl liive, I'd still be content with my 56K dialup access for my home pc. but now there's a reason to get bb as there will be more than just one use for it in my home. And I also figured that if I cancel my isp and my local landline phone (using my cell phone as my primary phone), that I'll save enough each month to afford the BB monthly charges!

I think microsoft is making it bb-only not just for the fact that the speed for the games is better and for future versions of xbox 2 games, but also to help accelerate widespread adoption of bb in homes which they can then build other products (for PC's for example) that take advantage of the new emerging standard. Aside from faster internet access and cable tv, there really weren't any other incentives for people to rush out and intall bb. This may help accelerate the standard.

Being BB only is so much better than allowing everything.Sure,not everybody can go online with Xbox now,but it makes it so much better and faster.With 56k there would be way too much lag and too many disconnections.So fpr all you poor saps with the 56k,oh well. :P :D 8)

As I stated before, here's one way to free up the money you'll need for monthly broadband access:

1. Cancel your landline phone (local and long distance..cancel it!). Use your cell phone as your primary phone. Chances are, you already own a cell phone and the various plans are a better deal anyway.

2. Cancel your ISP. You won't need one if you go through say AT&T Broadband or Earthlink DSL.

OPTIONAL:

3. Cancel your cable TV or Dish Network. You won't be watching that much TV when you get BB.

That should save you about $40-$50 per month EASILY. Now, you'll have the money necessary for broadband access and you'll have a better connection for your internet needs too!

• 2 months later...