IGNORED

GBA: SNES emulation possible?

Cybergoth

Hi there!

While playing "Breath of Fire" on the GBA, I noticed that during some scenes the game starts to stutter, especially when running underwater-with-scrolling and in some of the more complex battle scenes, when some "kill" sound & animation is played, it stutters too quite regularly.

Now I really wonder wether Capcom is just running the game on some sort of a SNES emulator? Maybe not a full-blown SNES emulator, but one that was tweaked especially to be good enough to play BoF & BoF2?

So maybe they converted all GFX to fit the screen, but all game calculations run through an emulation of the SNES CPU?

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

While playing "Breath of Fire" on the GBA, I noticed that during some scenes the game starts to stutter, especially when running underwater-with-scrolling and in some of the more complex battle scenes, when some "kill" sound & animation is played, it stutters too quite regularly.

Now I really wonder wether Capcom is just running the game on some sort of a SNES emulator? Maybe not a full-blown SNES emulator, but one that was tweaked especially to be good enough to play BoF & BoF2?

So maybe they converted all GFX to fit the screen, but all game calculations run through an emulation of the SNES CPU?

Greetings,

Manuel

I've kind of suspected that they are running some of the games through some type of SNES/GBA emulator, but I'm not sure.

Sure, many of the games are almost exact clones of the SNES originals, but I think the game code is recompiled to run on the GBA architecture, much like the way the HangOn/Space Harrier games are run in the DC version of SHenmue.

Hi there!

I highly doubt an emulator is at work, the GBA couldn't handle it. Genesis games are iffy, there's an SMS emulator in the works for it right now and even then the programmers are having a hard time with the framerate.

Well, that's Sega->Nintendo emulation.

But considering Nintendo had 1:1 SNES ports in mind when developing the GBA, it might be a lot easier, don't you think? :)

Just assume that the graphics CPU of the GBA has modes which are compatible or extremely similar to the SNES modes?

While I thought recompiling was the way how most of the stuff is done (SMA2/SMA3, Earthworm Jim... etc.) All that stuttering in BoF made me think - I mean Golden Sun does 10 times more mayhem on the screen during battle scenes and there's not the slightest sign of dropping framerates like I experience in Breath of Fire...

Technically speaking, I don't think BoF was a killer app being on the limit of the SNES either, so emulation is my first guess.

Greetings,

Manuel

Referenced from: Pocket NES FAQ

What other emulators are out for GBA? Is loopy going to write more emus?

As for SNES emus which is the most requested, the GBA is too slow for a fullspeed SNES emu, even without sound. It is very unlikely that it will ever happen, and this is not the place to request one.

This is coming from someone who is very familliar with the hardware and has coded an NES emulator of his own to run on the GBA. Additionally, on some ports of games you'll find in the credits 'Ported by' such and such, which indicates some reworking of code had to be accomplished.

Not to mention the entire resolution of the GBA is much smaller than the SNES, so graphical overhauls must be made sometime to fit the display constraints. ( Menus in RPGs, etc. )

Hi there!

I just found this entry about the Phantasy Star Collection:

http://www.digitaleclipse.com/live/main/ma...php?v=pr&id=419

It is saying that the game is running 2 different emulators, Master System for PS1 and Mega Drive for PS2 & PS3.

Well, so the good news is that this is indicating towards possible SNES emulation.

The bad news is that I don't need to wait any longer for this GBA package, since I won't buy the same games twice. Too bad. They should've written a generic GBA engine for Phantasy Star and then ported all three games into the same engine, maybe even creating one single big game out of all three of them - with state of the art graphics and sound...

Greetings,

Manuel

I just checked that page.. where does it specifically say it's utilizing an emulator??

It's been speculated in the Master System tech community there is an emulator at work for the SMS Phantasy Star 1, but you have to keep in mind that the resolution of the Gameboy Advance is different than from the Genesis/Megadrive and SMS platforms. Looking at the screenshots shows that there's been some obvious graphic tweaking in the layout (Menu and battle screens, for one). So the games themselves have been altered at least visually.

• 2 weeks later...

What are you all talking about?! Emulators for the GBA are availible

now for download, and as far as the snes on the GBA. There is a site

2 in fact has info on this very subject

www.gbxemu.com and

http://gameboy-advance.net

from what I seen on both sites and have run on my GBA you can

just about run any rom from Z80 to MAME

Hi there!

Greetings,

Manuel

Just remember that the GBA screen resolution is smaller than that of the SuperNES. :!: