IGNORED

Venture Homage Project Seeks Team Members

tomjscott

So should we be expecting the creative artistry of a van gogh/leonardo and the music talents of a madonna or kylie....and the programming skills like a legend of yesteryear (i.e Kitchen, crawford, neubauer et al)

What is it going to take to get you to stop posting forever?

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this on the facebook page for the project, but for the general public here goes:

Not getting any responses from Mean Hamster after the first attempt. I've been thinking this was a bad idea and I'm going to make an original title instead. Stay tuned for details later on when I make a lot more progress.

Although it may be possible to license Venture from Mean Hamster, it doesn't seem likely. The last thing I want is a long, drawn out process that may end in no license. I have started designs on my original dungeon adventure game and it is significantly different from Venture in every way. I have a working title and I'm proceeding with code. However, I've also decided to do my first version on the Commodore 64 platform and then port to the Jaguar a bit later on. I may even go from C64 to Atari 7800 first.

• Like 3

How about doing the 7800 version first?

Well, I know the C64 best since that's what I did most of my first programs with. I've looked at the 7800 a little and it would deifnitely be a good platform for this game as well. And both systems use the 6502 so I should be able to make a smooth transition once I get the first version done.

• Like 1

Well, I know the C64 best since that's what I did most of my first programs with. I've looked at the 7800 a little and it would deifnitely be a good platform for this game as well. And both systems use the 6502 so I should be able to make a smooth transition once I get the first version done.

Check out my profile for the sorts of homebrew games I've been doing on the 7800. Its a very capable machine. Feel free to ask any technical questions in the 7800 programmers forum here on AA. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Check out my profile for the sorts of homebrew games I've been doing on the 7800. Its a very capable machine. Feel free to ask any technical questions in the 7800 programmers forum here on AA. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thread should probably be moved to the 7800 or C64 forums.

I will definitely do a Jaguar version at some point. I haven't bailed on the Jag.

Understood. So have you decompiled the original Venture and using that code for the various new versions?

If you are talking about a 7800 version, the 2600 folk have gotten good at decompiling the existing roms and touching up the graphics or sound. I liked the 2600 Venture but seeing that the 2600 can do these days, you can at least make Winky look more like the arcade.

From that version learn a bit and apply to the 7800 and 8-bit versions, and then build up to the Jaguar version, which again I would not both making too too fancy.

I've looked at the 7800 a little and it would deifnitely be a good platform for this game as well. And both systems use the 6502 so I should be able to make a smooth transition once I get the first version done.

While it is a bit disappointing that you won't be working on the Jag first - it's hard to go wrong with the 7800. It has a dedicated, supportive and friendly fanbase who would welcome you, and it's a very nicely capable little machine. ;)

• Like 3