IGNORED

Can a TT play all the old ST games

Im looking at picking up a TT from Myatari or one of the other ST line of computers from them.

But I wanted to know if the TT would play all the ST games that were produced. If not can anyone recommend the best computer that Myatari carries .

Im looking at picking up a TT from Myatari or one of the other ST line of computers from them.

But I wanted to know if the TT would play all the ST games that were produced. If not can anyone recommend the best computer that Myatari carries .

I have never owned a TT, so let's make it clear I don't know much about them.

But from what I understand, they DO NOT play much/most of the games. You definitely want an ST or STe. The STe got little support for its extra capabilities (more colors primarily. The RAM is very easy to expand. The STf/STfm (f for Floppy, fm for Floppy and rf Modulator) are going to play the most games. The RAM is very difficult and expensive to expand though. Fortunately, the 1040STf/1040STfm has 1MB and that's pretty much all you need to play all games. Unfortunately, the 1040STfm is rare. The 1040STf is common, but along with lacking the "m" for Modulator (TV output) it also lacks composite video on the monitor jack. That means you'd need a dedicated Atari ST monitor. Flip side to the equation? The display is so good on Atari SC1224 RGB monitor it's really worth getting, and I mean it. I went for "m" model and the composite is ok, but no where near as sharp. So if you think you want a monitor anyway, then the "f" model is fine!

The 520STfm is common - they did not make a 520STf (no m) so they all have TV/composite output. They "only" have 512k. Some of the 520STfm (early models) have single-sided disk drive (360k) and that sucks big-time. Truth be known, I use 512K 520 all the time and play hella games on it, but I do understand there are some 1MB games out there. There are others here who game with 512k and think it's fine. So if you went with 520STfm then for sure ask to make sure it has double-sided drive (720k). All 1040 models have the 720k drive.

I'd say 1040STfm would be best bet, but unlikely. Atari SC1224 monitor or TV or composite monitor (with proper cable)

1040STf if you want Atari monitor, which I recommend anyway.

520STfm and monitor is optional, but MAKE SURE it comes with double-sided drive, plays a lot of games.

I should also say I have never owned a STe and I know there are those who like them. I want one too - as a novelty and something to explore - but not until after I have (which I do) ST/STm/STf/STfm - which are the "original" ST models. I find it mandatory to be able to play the old games. One day I'd like to check out the STe-specific stuff but there isn't much of it and the machine sacrifices much of the older stuff. STe frequently is MUCH MORE expensive too, simply because it came out near the end of the machine's lifetime so fewer in numbers.

The TT and Falcon are also interesting to me in the same way that the STe is, but likewise, they are incompatible with a lot of software.

Opinions may vary, and I certainly do not claim to have the most informed one, so corrections are welcome!

Good day!

Edited by wood_jl

Quite a few games did and even recently have been fixed by cracker groups to work on the later machines, but yes - I'd say that compatabilty issues exist for lots of games.

No idea what the percentage of games that don't work is, but wouldn't surprise me if it's pretty big.

Thanks for clearing alot of that up for me... Looks like I'll go with one of the New ST's from Myatari with the 1meg. I just need to hear back from them about the flobby drive's being double sided like you recommended.

One other question I noticed online somewhere that ppl use old Sega Master System controllers with there ST's in place of joysticks. Have either of you used those before and if so how well does it work with ST games?

I also read that the extended controller port the one used with Jaguar pads has some incompatibility with some games. Is that true.

Megadrive and Master System controllers work fine with the ST. The Jaguar style joypads ports are only compatible with some STe software IIRC.

I recommend getting joystick port it extenders as they are underneath the machine and a bugger to get to especially if you want to change the mouse for a second joystick and back again.

One other question I noticed online somewhere that ppl use old Sega Master System controllers with there ST's in place of joysticks. Have either of you used those before and if so how well does it work with ST games?

Sega Master System pads and Sega Megadrive pads with 3 buttons work fine - Megadrive pads with 6 buttons do only work in the mouse port.

Sega Master System pads and Sega Megadrive pads with 3 buttons work fine - Megadrive pads with 6 buttons do only work in the mouse port.

Do the 3 button or 6 buttons register as one action button? I noticed the joysticks I found online listed for ST compatible have one or two buttons.

I have never owned a TT, so let's make it clear I don't know much about them.

But from what I understand, they DO NOT play much/most of the games. You definitely want an ST or STe. The STe got little support for its extra capabilities (more colors primarily. The RAM is very easy to expand. The STf/STfm (f for Floppy, fm for Floppy and rf Modulator) are going to play the most games. The RAM is very difficult and expensive to expand though. Fortunately, the 1040STf/1040STfm has 1MB and that's pretty much all you need to play all games. Unfortunately, the 1040STfm is rare. The 1040STf is common, but along with lacking the "m" for Modulator (TV output) it also lacks composite video on the monitor jack. That means you'd need a dedicated Atari ST monitor. Flip side to the equation? The display is so good on Atari SC1224 RGB monitor it's really worth getting, and I mean it. I went for "m" model and the composite is ok, but no where near as sharp. So if you think you want a monitor anyway, then the "f" model is fine!

The 520STfm is common - they did not make a 520STf (no m) so they all have TV/composite output. They "only" have 512k. Some of the 520STfm (early models) have single-sided disk drive (360k) and that sucks big-time. Truth be known, I use 512K 520 all the time and play hella games on it, but I do understand there are some 1MB games out there. There are others here who game with 512k and think it's fine. So if you went with 520STfm then for sure ask to make sure it has double-sided drive (720k). All 1040 models have the 720k drive.

I'd say 1040STfm would be best bet, but unlikely. Atari SC1224 monitor or TV or composite monitor (with proper cable)

1040STf if you want Atari monitor, which I recommend anyway.

520STfm and monitor is optional, but MAKE SURE it comes with double-sided drive, plays a lot of games.

I should also say I have never owned a STe and I know there are those who like them. I want one too - as a novelty and something to explore - but not until after I have (which I do) ST/STm/STf/STfm - which are the "original" ST models. I find it mandatory to be able to play the old games. One day I'd like to check out the STe-specific stuff but there isn't much of it and the machine sacrifices much of the older stuff. STe frequently is MUCH MORE expensive too, simply because it came out near the end of the machine's lifetime so fewer in numbers.

The TT and Falcon are also interesting to me in the same way that the STe is, but likewise, they are incompatible with a lot of software.

Opinions may vary, and I certainly do not claim to have the most informed one, so corrections are welcome!

Good day!

You can get an ST to VGA cable to have more video options, I think they are still on ebay on occasion. I have one and am using a 29" 15Khz monitor with my ST. NEC XV29

Do the 3 button or 6 buttons register as one action button? I noticed the joysticks I found online listed for ST compatible have one or two buttons.

One of the buttons responds as the ST firebutton, B iirc. The others are dead and do not function.

One of the buttons responds as the ST firebutton, B iirc. The others are dead and do not function.

thanks for the response.. Final question and I'll stop nagging you guys. Do most ST games only use one button?

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't one of the other controllers with two independent buttons work by using left/right mouse button control lines?

I can't think of any game off hand that has support for dual fire button controllers, Street Fighter 2? I think the Amiga version supports this but that might only be for SF2 Turbo (US GOLD anyway)?

I have 520ST/520STM/520STFM/520STE/1040STFM/MEGA2/MEGA4/ and well to be honest if you have a 1040STFM (or 520STFM with dual sided floppy drive built in) you can play all games except the earliest and of course STE only games.

Now if I find a cheap MEGA1 and MEGA STE then I would complete the set and have every ST model made :)

Get an STe - there are very few things that haven't been fixed for them and they are the easiest to upgrade the memory on (SIMMs!)

They'll also play the most games - there are far more STe only titles around than ones that don't work on them.

• Like 1

Get an STe - there are very few things that haven't been fixed for them and they are the easiest to upgrade the memory on (SIMMs!)

They'll also play the most games - there are far more STe only titles around than ones that don't work on them.

Really? I beg to differ. Name 10 STE only specific games? And remember original disks are not fixed for STE, only cracked pirated copies so if the original poster wants to play original games purchased on ebay (and who wouldn't) then that's a bit of a problem.

The only STE specific game I can think of is Stardust, but lets face it it's not that great...and an Amiga 500 is about 99 cents these days on ebay anyway so you don't actually need an STE to play Stardust....especially if like most people you already own some sort of OCS/ECS Amiga these days.

Now a Mega STE is different, there is the potential of running some fixed games @ 16mhz....now this is a massive difference and may even improve some STFM games potentially so if you find one cheap (good luck!) then get one of them and a 1040STFM which is guaranteed a double sided drive from scratch (for PAL models anyway...it says so in Atari User lol).

Really? I beg to differ. Name 10 STE only specific games?

Alien Blast

Dynabusters+

H Mec 2

Obsession

Oh No! Not More Radioactive Mineshafts

Pacman on E's

Sleepwalker

Square Off

Starball

Stardust

Street Fighter II (Demo)

Substation

Team

Zero 5

And here are some that take advantage of the STE if detected

Chambers of Shaolin

Chaos Engine

Esprit

Frantick

Goal!

Gods

James Pond

James Pond II

Leavin' Teramis

Lethal Xcess

Magic Boy

Power Up plus

Revenge of the Mutant Camels

Rock 'n' Roll Clams

Roger

Sheer Agony

Stone Age

Vaxine

Wings of Death

Wrath of the Demon

Zool

Tempest

Actually, on hardware side STE is very-very compatible. In fact, I don't know a single game what runs not on STE because of some hardware (register) problem. I don't say that such not exists at all, but I did not encounter.

All problems with games were: because of TOS version or RAM size (more than half or 1MB) - read latest as bad coding.

Mega STE is good for some games, mostly 3D vector/polygon with it's extra speed, but it runs only with TOS 2.05/6 , what is most problematic TOS for games (considering ST(E) TOS versions).

Who to blame that originals work not on higher TOS versions ? I think that both Atari and game developers.

But cracks suffer from same problem, so early ones may have problems on STE (TOS 1.06/1.62) .

oky2000: give me some game what works not on STE and I will point you where to get working version, or I will fix it myself...

I doub that Atari people is interested to spend 99 cents on Amiga 500 just because of few colors and audio more.

After all, we can play Stardust on PC too :-)

Really? I beg to differ. Name 10 STE only specific games?

Alien Blast

Dynabusters+

H Mec 2

Obsession

Oh No! Not More Radioactive Mineshafts

Pacman on E's

Sleepwalker

Square Off

Starball

Stardust

Street Fighter II (Demo)

Substation

Team

Zero 5

And here are some that take advantage of the STE if detected

Chambers of Shaolin

Chaos Engine

Esprit

Frantick

Goal!

Gods

James Pond

James Pond II

Leavin' Teramis

Lethal Xcess

Magic Boy

Power Up plus

Revenge of the Mutant Camels

Rock 'n' Roll Clams

Roger

Sheer Agony

Stone Age

Vaxine

Wings of Death

Wrath of the Demon

Zool

Tempest

Not forgetting the MANY wonderful STE only demos that exist!

+1

An STE is the way to go, just for memory expandability alone. You do not want to know what is involved in expanding the models that don't use SIMMs...

I use my MegaSTE as my primary ST gaming platform. I've got CF and SD (UltraSatan) hard drives for it to run the tons of great HD patched games from folks like dbug and Klaz, I've got 4MB of memory so I've got plenty of room to boot alternate TOS versions if needed, and I have an HxC SD floppy emulator which allows me to easily run tons of other floppy based games/cracks.

I second that. The STE is definitely easier to work with. I haven't found a game I like without finding a working version. The STf I have just sits in the closet because after 2 attempts I'm unable to install the 4MB expansion I got from Best.

I'd definitely go STE if possible.

(btw, anybody offering services to install that upgrade, I'd be willing to pay for your time)

I second that. The STE is definitely easier to work with. I haven't found a game I like without finding a working version. The STf I have just sits in the closet because after 2 attempts I'm unable to install the 4MB expansion I got from Best.

I'd definitely go STE if possible.

(btw, anybody offering services to install that upgrade, I'd be willing to pay for your time)

No but I have a 2.5mb STFM with 720k internal drive via the internal Marpet XtraRAM board(?) which I could possibly sell, but I am in the UK so outside UK postage on an STFM would be quite high I bet!

And if you remove the on board 512k you can shove another two simms in the board and get the full 4mb easy.

And I'm not saying you can't get working cracks of the games, just that some original games I have (Gauntlet 1, International Karate by Andromeda Software not IK+ etc) won't load on my STE which has a much better condition internal drive so it's not a disk reading issue. I have all these games on various menu disks sure.

Of all the 10 or so STE specific games listed I personally only rate Stardust too as a high quality game, but then that's personal opinion.

Demo's on the other hand and for non gaming due to ease of RAM upgrade yes I totally agree with going for an STE over and STFM. For aesthetics though really I would go for an Atari 520ST/STM or a standard original Mega ST....much prettier :)

oky2000: give me some game what works not on STE and I will point you where to get working version, or I will fix it myself...

Winter Games and Star Wars The Arcade Game. :-)

I love my STe!

In attachment are 2 ST image files, taken from GameBase ST. Star Wars works well on real STE (TOS 1.62 & 2.06, 4MB RAM).

Winter Games stucks after intro. Interesting as it works well under Steem and Hatari (set to STE). Anyway, using TOS 1.04 on STE solves that problem, and game works. So, as I said, TOS version...

Get SELTOS/RAMTOS here : http://petari.000space.com/atari/tosload.htm

Solution for Mega STE and Winter Games: http://petari.000space.com/atari/imgrun.php ( IMGRF2X )

- latest solves running from hard disk too.

SW_WG.ZIP

Edited by AstFan