IGNORED

What's The Easiest Way To Transfer Game Files From PC/WinXP to an Atari STf

Hi all, I just got an Atari STf and I'm trying to figure out an easy method of transferring ST game images from my PC to Atari ST 3.5 Disks so I can run them on my STf. My Windows XP won't read the Atari ST formatted disks I own, so I need a program that will open, format and write Atari ST disks from Windows that will read on my STf. Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks

For the Atari:

First thing to verify is what system you have. Is it a 520STf or a 1040STf?? The 520STf probably has a single side drive in it. You will want a double sided drive. Also, the TOS version has a bit to do with the 'PC' compatibility of things. You will need at least TOS 1.2, but preferably TOS 1.4 (Rainbow TOS).

For the PC:

You need to install this first:

fdrawcmd.sys is a floppy filter driver for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7.

The fdrawcmd.sys will only work with a PC and a mainboard connected floppy. It will not work with a USB floppy drive. It does not affect the normal usage of the floppy.

Here is the program for manipulating disk images.

Floppy Image & file transfer program

The combination works great.

For the Atari:

... Also, the TOS version has a bit to do with the 'PC' compatibility of things. You will need at least TOS 1.2, but preferably TOS 1.4 (Rainbow TOS)...

PC compatibility of Atari ST (TOS) floppies is interesting only in case when you formatted floppy with Desktop formatter. Then will be not able to open that floppy under Windows XP - if it is formatted with TOS under 1.04.

However, it is complete irrelevant when work with Floppy Imager under XP - it will work with all floppies formatted with any TOS. Also, irrelevant when writing images onto floppies, for further usage on Atari, what was original question here.

Actually, considering games: most of success will be under lower TOS versions - there are some games, menu disks not lowing higher TOS versions :-)

However, it is complete irrelevant when work with Floppy Imager under XP - it will work with all floppies formatted with any TOS. Also, irrelevant when writing images onto floppies, for further usage on Atari, what was original question here.

This is true. TOS version will not matter if creating a disk from a disk image with FloImg. But, I have found a lot of ST software out there that are not disk images, just zip files of the contents of a floppy. For these, you will need to have a formatted disk to copy the files to. This is where it gets tricky. You will not be able to use a disk between the PC and ST with anything before TOS 1.2.

With TOS 1.2, you will have to format the disk on the PC before putting anything on it. TOS 1.4 and later, you can format the disk on either, but usually better to format on the ST first to be sure.

Here is something I found on another site about transferring files if they are not a disk image.

Exchanging TOS and MS-DOS disks

Disk exchange between MS-DOS and TOS is absolutely possible, if you follow these rules:

• TOS versions from 1.04 onwards are 100% compatible with MS-DOS.
  • If using TOS 1.02 or earlier, you must either format the disk on a PC, use preformatted PC disks, or use a DOS compatible formatter on the ST.
  • Choose a PC format compatible with the Atari drive, ie: 720K for double sided drives and 1.44M for HD drives.
  • The internal drives of some older 520STF and SF354 units were limited to single-sided 360K disks that modern PCs can no longer read or write. In this case, a drive mechanism swap is highly suggested.
  • Windows 95 uses long filenames that can sometimes corrupt TOS disks, so be sure to use the good old 8+3 filename format. The same goes for directories, avoid them at all costs.
  • Do not use HD disks formatted in DD mode (ie: with sticky tape over the HD hole). This sometimes works momentarily, but is very unreliable, as the magnetic coating of HD disks is not the same as with DD disks.

As a summary, it is usually best to format a DD 720K floppy on the PC before using it to transfer files.

(info taken from here)

Thanks a bunch! I got a few disks to work but here's my next problems. I decided I didn't like the game image I had put on a disk so I tried to reformat the disk in my 1040STf to put a different game on it. The problem is it makes the disk unusable after trying to reformat it. I thought maybe it was just that disk so I tried another and it did the same thing..Any ideas? Also, can I use 1.44 high density disks? I tried formatting one and my 1040STf and it formatted it fine it seemed, but when I tried to transfer a game image onto the 1.44 it had all kinds of problems, so I've just been using the few original 3.5 diskettes that came with the system. The original disks aren't even marked so I don't know what size or kind to use. Is there a program for WinXP to format disks for use with the ST?

Thanks again!

Thanks a bunch! I got a few disks to work but here's my next problems. I decided I didn't like the game image I had put on a disk so I tried to reformat the disk in my 1040STf to put a different game on it. The problem is it makes the disk unusable after trying to reformat it. I thought maybe it was just that disk so I tried another and it did the same thing..Any ideas? Also, can I use 1.44 high density disks? I tried formatting one and my 1040STf and it formatted it fine it seemed, but when I tried to transfer a game image onto the 1.44 it had all kinds of problems, so I've just been using the few original 3.5 diskettes that came with the system. The original disks aren't even marked so I don't know what size or kind to use. Is there a program for WinXP to format disks for use with the ST?

Thanks again!

Again, if the drive is a single side drive and the disk is formatted in that drive, it will not read on a PC as the PC is trying to read 2 sides. The only way the disk is going to work is if you write an image to it with FloImg. FloImg is creating something the ST will read. The only way you are going to be able to easily pass disks between the PC and the ST is to upgrade the TOS to 1.4. and install a double sided drive.

In my last reply I stated I did get game images to transfer via FloIMG that's not the problem and thanks for the help with that. I had other questions that went unanswered in my reply though.

My questions were- Why is it when I reformat a used disk in my 1040 it makes errors on the disk and then say it's unusable on my ST. A 720kb disk will format fine the first time on my ST and I can transfer games to it with FloIMG and it works great on my ST, but if I reformat that exact same disk in my 1040 a second time it keeps making the disk unusable. Any ideas? The other thing I was asking that didn't get answered is, is it possible to format a 1.44 HD 3.5 disk in my ST and use it with FloIMG or am I stuck just using the old 720kb disks?

Thanks again!

Edited by DATARI

In my last reply I stated I did get game images to transfer via FloIMG that's not the problem and thanks for the help with that. I had other questions that went unanswered in my reply though.

My questions were- Why is it when I reformat a used disk in my 1040 it makes errors on the disk and then say it's unusable on my ST. A 720kb disk will format fine the first time on my ST and I can transfer games to it with FloIMG and it works great on my ST, but if I reformat that exact same disk in my 1040 a second time it keeps making the disk unusable. Any ideas? The other thing I was asking that didn't get answered is, is it possible to format a 1.44 HD 3.5 disk in my ST and use it with FloIMG or am I stuck just using the old 720kb disks?

Thanks again!

Have you tried reformatting the failed disk in the PC after it fails in the ST?? Also, you shouldn't have to format a disk in the ST to write the image to it with FloImg. FloImg (with the fdrawcmd.sys driver installed) will create a disk with the original format of the image. The only time you should have to format the disk in the ST is to copy files onto it from the PC, not a disk image.

You can use a 1.44 HD disk if you cover the extra hole in the disk case. But...using a 1.44 HD disk at 720K can be unreliable.

Thanks again!

The reason why formatting on your ST produces errors is likely slightly dirty floppy drive (heads in). or maybe some HW failure. Best is that you clean it gently with little alcohol. Even better is to try with other drive, to be sure...

You can format 1.44 MB with FloImg, just need to cover hole somehow. How successful and reliable it will be depends from disk self mostly. In other words, try, and will see.