jchase1970 Posted July 11, 2010 Share Posted July 11, 2010 (edited) Updated file, 7/25/2010 The fallowing video show one of the 2 games I'm working on at the moment. This is Worm Wars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6aeOW1M2Ag Playable Beta version, debug mode select speed before each game. WORMWAR.zip It has 5 game play modes and single or double players in all modes as well as 3 speed settings, with joystick or keyboard or both. Game 1 is Entrapment - basically this is Surround from the 2600, had it when I the atari was first out. Loved it. Your worm grow constantly and you try to outwit the other player by running him into something. This game is available for 1 player but is not much fun. This game ends when a player scores 10 wins. Game 2 is Eat the Shrooms - Complex game. You have mushrooms on the screen that are 2 color red and blue. If you eat the ones that are the same color as you, you grow 2 spaces and score 2 pts, other wise you grown 1 and score 1pt. If you eat a toadstool your speed is reduced to 1/2 speed and has a timer to reset you to normal speed. There are 2 arrow sets, vertical and horizontal, These in a 2 player game flip the controls of the other player and starts a timer to flip control back. In single player mode it flips your control. Game 3 is Classic mode - Classic Wormy, eat the numbers 1-9 on the screen score 1-9 pts and grow 1-9 segments. Game 4 is Invisible Shrooms - all game items function as in game 2, but you only see them for a brief moment when they spawn then they become invisible and you have to hunt for them. Game 5 is wall - same game as 2 but with added walls on the field to avoid. I've got about a week into the game, have it playable and all games working pretty much as they have been described, have some debugging to do and sound effects and game over screens to add. So probably another week to have it finished. The game in the video has not been compiled yet and is running in basic on the c99 emulator. Once it is compiled the screen drawing will be greatly increased, the speed in the video will be speed medium. Thought I'ld post it not that I have it playable. I'm pretty happy with it, I programmed it all in notepad, didn't test it until I had all the games sit up. I was able to debug the single player mode in less then an hr. So I was very happy with my design flows. I expected it to have alot of issues but I was surprised this time. The 2 player mode is a blast, especially when you flip the other players controls and left-right or up-down get reversed. That is very hard to deal with on the fly. The one short coming is I store the worm positions in a string and as you add length to the worm it maxes out at 255 segments. So in a 2 player game I don't think you can max it out before the other player kills you, but in a single player game it is doable, tedious but doable if patient. Not sure how to over come this. I experimented with string and arrays to store the info but with no fast way to remove array elements the string was the only option. The string gets added to the end with the new location data and then segmented from the front to maintain the worms size. Graphically I started with round 8x8 body segments but when you had alot in a area on the screen you couldn't tell the flow of the worm, I then made the body narrower which added code to it to handle 90 degree sections of the worm body as well as up and down positions, but I see no game speed loss. Compiled at full speed is still to fast to play so it has been slowed down. It's got a good pace to the game. John Edited July 31, 2010 by jchase1970 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.