IGNORED

Moving ST programs into disk images - easiest way?

Ok, so I've been following the other thread on how to get files from the PC to the ST via floppy disk.

Now, how about keeping them on the PC and putting them into ST disk image? You know, when you download a .PRG rather than a disk image!

Going to try the roundabout way, but seeking something better.

Roundabout way:

1) Install Rainbow TOS 1.4

2) Write to floppy

3) Hook up floppy emulator

4) Hook up real drive as drive B

5) Copy

It's been months since I tried, but I seem to have had problems doing this and my memory is not clear. Going to try again.

I have the HxC Floppy Emulator hooked inside a SF354 case, to original 520ST. I had the real drive as drive B and I was trying to copy files from inside the disk image to a real disk on a real ST drive. It seems to have overwritten the disk image inside the HXC - that is, it screwed up the disk image when I did this. I am wondering if there is something screwy with the drive select business. The HxC is supposed to be able to emulate 2 drives - with the correct firmware. However, I am thinking the little PC board with the ports - the one that's inside the SF354 - does something screwy with the drive select....as in reroutes drive B through the daisy chain port. I don't know, I speculate ignorantly and have had problems. I asked the HxC man Jeff and he was not helpful at all, merely directing me to the schematic....as if that does any good to a simple end user. I am guessing he has not used his HxC this way and uses it inside 1040ST/520STfm where I am guessing the drive select business is handled somewhat differently than daisy-chaining SF354s? I must be the only fool in the world who wants to use the original 520ST with HxC. At least it works as a single drive, so I may not have this problem much of the time.

Of course, to be able to do this stuff on the PC and just slap the disk image on the SD card would alleviate much fuss. I am wondering if there is one of the ST emulators that allows the mounting of a PC directory - like APE does for the Atari-8 - and then copy to inside the ST disk image.

Any help or speculation greatly appreciated! Would be nice to make up a newbie-FAQ-for-Dummies on this kind of stuff when I get done stumbling and fumbling.

Using Steem you can mount a PC directory as a virtual HD and copy single files to mounted disk images.

Beat me to it!! I was going to post that STeem will allow you to create a folder full of files and mount it as a hard drive. Then just create a new disk image and copy the files over.

Using this setup on an old 520ST......

4787880627_3c99755718_b.jpg

......I recreated the problem just now.

When writing to the Drive B (SF314) it ruins the floppy image on the HxC. I am not sure in what way - when I do a "Show Info" on the damaged disk image, it just puts zeros in. I think it is just writing garbage in on the Drive A (HxC image) when it's writing actual data to the SF314. It is possible to "format" the same (damaged) disk image back to blank, using the ST desktop (726,016 bytes free as usual) so it's not destroying the disk image, just scrambling the contents.

Doing the opposite - copying files from the Drive B (SF314) to the HxC image - it works fine! It is not possible to copy a disk image to a real disk because as it writes to the real disk it screws up what you were attempting to copy. The LCD readout on the HxC shows "WR" activity when it's the actual floppy drive (Drive B SF314) being written. At least you can create a disk image and then copy real floppy contents to it.

I am wondering if I can create a new CONFIG for the HxC that will get it to ignore all drive B writing?

I have not performed any firmware updates on the HxC yet. Perhaps it is time to give it a try.

Edited by wood_jl

>Moving ST programs into disk images - easiest way?

With the HxC Floppy Emulator software :

-> Create a folder on the pc and put your ST files in it.

-> Start the HxC Floppy Emulator software

-> Push the button "Create FS Floppy"

-> Choose "720KB Atari FAT12" or "902KB Atari FAT12" or "4.23MB Atari FAT12"

-> Push the button "Inject directory" and choose your folder containing your ST files.

-> Now push the button export to create the HFE file. (you can change the type file to IMG to create a ST file if you want).

Regarding the overwrite problem, try to upgrade your firmware first if not already done.

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001

>Moving ST programs into disk images - easiest way?

With the HxC Floppy Emulator software :

-> Create a folder on the pc and put your ST files in it.

-> Start the HxC Floppy Emulator software

-> Push the button "Create FS Floppy"

-> Choose "720KB Atari FAT12" or "902KB Atari FAT12" or "4.23MB Atari FAT12"

-> Push the button "Inject directory" and choose your folder containing your ST files.

-> Now push the button export to create the HFE file. (you can change the type file to IMG to create a ST file if you want).

Regarding the overwrite problem, try to upgrade your firmware first if not already done.

Is there a Linux version of this - forgot if its already been mentioned. Only asking

because as everyone knows, I will not *ever* use Windows. :D

• Like 1

That was quick ;)

While we're talking HxC / ST - how is the dual floppy support of the HxC supposed to work? Is the board supposed to be able to emulate both A/B drives at the same time? No jumper combination I've tried has worked, the ST just asks to insert disk B in drive A at the desktop when you select disk B.

Is there a Linux version of this - forgot if its already been mentioned. Only asking

because as everyone knows, I will not *ever* use Windows. :D

Set up a dual-boot with a bootleg copy of XP which will only be used on extremely rare situations. Then you can do what you need to easily, spend minimal time with Windows, and never give M$ the satisfaction.

Please carefully read the user manual for the jumper setting :

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/SDCard_HxC_Floppy_Emulator_User_Manual.pdf

Yes, the jumpers were set correctly but it most definitely was not working last time I tried it, the ST just kept asking for Disk B in drive A.

Trying it today now it seems to work fine, however I'm trying it now on my MSTE (TOS 2.04) vs the 1040STfm (which was TOS 1.0) that I originally tried it on.

• 12 years later...
On 7/15/2010 at 7:45 AM, Jeff_HxC2001 said:

Yes (command line tool) : http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/HxC_Floppy_Emulator_soft_src.zip

cd linux

make hxcfloppyemulator_convert

;-)

Does anybody have the binaries for the HxCFloppy Emulator for Linux?

As I try to compile it, the linker keeps complaining:

"/usr/bin/ld: libcapsimage.so.2.0: error adding symbols: file in wrong format
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Makefile:30: hxcfloppyemulator] Error 1"

That library came with the source. Not a programmer, I am at a loss here.

Any help appreciated in advance!

3 hours ago, Ppyo said:

Does anybody have the binaries for the HxCFloppy Emulator for Linux?

As I try to compile it, the linker keeps complaining:

"/usr/bin/ld: libcapsimage.so.2.0: error adding symbols: file in wrong format
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Makefile:30: hxcfloppyemulator] Error 1"

That library came with the source. Not a programmer, I am at a loss here.

Any help appreciated in advance!

I think the latest source is on GitHub which might work more reliably than a zip from 2010? Think it's this one? https://github.com/latchdevel/hxcfloppyemu

• Like 1

I make ST images on Linux with only tools the OS ships with

To create a blank ST image:  (this will be a 720K (DS/DD) image,  alter count= for other sizes)

dd if=/dev/zero  of=floppy.st bs=512 count=1440
mkfs.msdos -A floppy.st

then to copy files to it, mount it like this:  (you can change /mnt to personal preference)

sudo mount floppy.st /mnt -o loop

then copy any files you want to /mnt using standard "cp", "mv" or any other OS command.

when done with the disk unmount it

sudo umount /mnt

Then do whatever you want with the floppy.st image.  

• Like 1