IGNORED

Atari SH205 Hard Drive

I took possession of a SH205 Megafile 20 today. I have a 1040STF computer. Are there any experienced SH205 users listening? Will this 1040 talk to this drive? I do need to get a connecting cable and hopefully it is straight pin to pin connections. I'd also like to find any documentation on the drive as there are DIP switches in the unit. Also, this is one BIG drive assembly. Any help, suggestions, recommendations are appreciated. Thanks, gary

I took possession of a SH205 Megafile 20 today. I have a 1040STF computer. Are there any experienced SH205 users listening? Will this 1040 talk to this drive? I do need to get a connecting cable and hopefully it is straight pin to pin connections. I'd also like to find any documentation on the drive as there are DIP switches in the unit. Also, this is one BIG drive assembly. Any help, suggestions, recommendations are appreciated. Thanks, gary

i have a few spare new DMA cables to connect your SH205 to 1040

£10 for the cable plus shipping to USA (i'm in the UK)

i'll also include the atari hard drive software on a floppy for free if you want the cable

PM me

C

OK....I got the 19 pin cable and book disk. The hard drive spins up and the yellow light talks to me but the screen tells me 'ERROR - Machine not STE". It's actually a 1040STFM. There are other notices that flash by during the boot up. Is it telling me the hard drive won;t with this computer? Thanks, gary

OK....I got the 19 pin cable and book disk. The hard drive spins up and the yellow light talks to me but the screen tells me 'ERROR - Machine not STE". It's actually a 1040STFM. There are other notices that flash by during the boot up. Is it telling me the hard drive won;t with this computer? Thanks, gary

We ran our retail store with one of these back in the day,I think we used a boot flooy in the st at first then had it bootable. As for the drive it is an MFM Seagate ST 225 5.25" hard drive. These can still be had on ebay or buy an ST251 40mb MFM,should work as well. You will need software to prep it. dont forget to enter the bad sector map and offset from the top of the drive. Cant recall but I think software will as for it.

Hmm, is it actually finishing the bootup process? In other words, are

you winding up at the TOS desktop? If so, then it might just be some

offending ACCs or AUTO folder apps.

You can always disable the ACCs and AUTO folder apps and start adding

them back only one at a time until you find the ones that are mis-

behaving.

Since I'm geeting the message "NOT STE", does that mean this hard drive wants to see a STE box instead of the 1040ST? Perhaps some of the jumpers in the hard drive can be changed to work with the 1040ST??

Try these options.

Bypass accessories and auto programs on boot, press Ctrl

Hold CTRL and then power on the ST. This will bypass anything in the AUTO folder, hopefully bypassing the STE program. This option should also maintain use of the hard drive. You can then open the AUTO folder and disable the offending program.

Bypass the harddrive on boot, press Alt

Holding ALT at bootup will bypass the hard drive all together. Once at the desktop, you can run the hard drive driver from the floppy you got to gain access to the hard drive. You will have to add the icons to your desktop after running the driver.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I just got one a few days ago, and I even have an extra cable for it, it is all yours, no cost, if you happen to have the bboot disk for yours we can swap ... anyways the cable is yours free either way and if you do not have the software I can send you a copy when I get mine. I also have the manual for mine , I can photocopy it for you if necessary...

rcamp48 (rcamp48@rogers.com)

Russ Campbell