IGNORED

Tac1+

I picked up this joystick for Apple II/IBM PC at the salvation army. It has quite the array of connectors. A is the standard 9 pin Apple II joystick. B is some strange 16 pin plug I'm not familiar with. C and D are a converter cable from 9 pin female to 15 pin male. And yes, they're all lettered that way.

Two questions come to mind. What is plug B for? And can I expect the converter cable to work with other Apple II joysticks? There's a switch on the bottom to change modes of the joystick so I'm guessing not.

post-20144-127898614379_thumb.jpg

post-20144-127898618251_thumb.jpg

I picked up this joystick for Apple II/IBM PC at the salvation army. It has quite the array of connectors. A is the standard 9 pin Apple II joystick. B is some strange 16 pin plug I'm not familiar with. C and D are a converter cable from 9 pin female to 15 pin male. And yes, they're all lettered that way.

Two questions come to mind. What is plug B for? And can I expect the converter cable to work with other Apple II joysticks? There's a switch on the bottom to change modes of the joystick so I'm guessing not.

The second photo is of a connector for the original Apple II joystick connector which is on the motherboard.

OK, I'm having a strange issue with it. Whenever I move to the left and release, it shortly moves to the right. This is not a bouncing of the stick itself, it doesn't move much past center. However, reading PDL(0) returns 255 for about a second or two which usually decays back to 128 after a few more seconds. Sometimes it'll stick at 255 until I move the stick again.

I've already opened it up and sprayed down the pots good, which is about the extent of my hardware troubleshooting. Any thoughts as to what could cause this kind of error?

The second photo is of a connector for the original Apple II joystick connector which is on the motherboard.

Oh, no kidding. I just popped open my GS and there it was. That's an odd place for a joystick connector. It functions the same as the 9 pin game port then? Mutually exclusive with the external game port I'd imagine.

Oh, no kidding. I just popped open my GS and there it was. That's an odd place for a joystick connector. It functions the same as the 9 pin game port then? Mutually exclusive with the external game port I'd imagine.

Yeah the internal game port was there in the GS for the whole backwards compatibility thing with the Apple II.

This might explain it a bit better then what i could http://rich12345.tripod.com/OPHP/gameport.html just scroll down to pinouts or read to that point.

but they do share some of the signals.

Depending on what connection you used have you tried the other connection to see if its a connection issue causing the drift ?

Edited by madmax2069