IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 48 - Infiltrate

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

You are a secret agent on a mission of crucial importance. Your mission is to infiltrate a top secret fortress. You must capture enemy documents and get out alive. Your challenge: the diabolical maze of corridors and elevators designed to confuse you and keep you from the documents. Your danger: enemy assassins programmed to shoot on sight. Your weapon: a high-power laser gun as powerful as that of the enemy. Your advantage: you're sharp enough to duck when they shoot. It's a hectic chase. Hop an elevator. Survive enemy fire. Fire back. Duck. Infiltrate...if you dare!

s_Infiltrate_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Infiltrate
  • Released By: 1981, Games by Apollo
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Enemy Lasers Have Less Range
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday July 21st at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Current High Scores
  1. 212,450 (SekOner) [+11]
  2. 198,275 (SeaGtGruff) [+10]
  3. 116,675 (toymailman) [+9]
  4. 39,625 (Scrabbler15) [+8]
  5. 32,375 (sean49938) [+7]
  6. 30,325 (satan165) [+6]
  7. 23,925 (JacobZu7zu7) [+5]
  8. 21,875 (Jifremok) [+4]
  9. 19,650 (SpiceWare) [+3]
  10. 16,350 (oyamafamily) [+2]
  11. 14,555 (Hitachi) [+1]
  12. 13,500 (roadrunner) [+1]
  13. 8625 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  14. 7475 (Tr3vor) [+1]
  15. 6700 (Zoyx) [+1]
  16. 4250 (zylon) [+1]

Best Tips
  • SekOner [+2]

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 2,010,500 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 38,075 (James Carter)
  3. 33,950 (David Dutrow)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [456]
  2. Zoyx [331]
  3. oyamafamily [249]
  4. roadrunner [236]
  5. darthkur [218]
  6. shadow460 [184]
  7. LarcenTyler [125]
  8. JacobZu7zu7 [124]
  9. Cebus Capucinis [107]
  10. zylon [96]
  11. Deteacher [92]
  12. Atardi [84]
  13. vjames [71]
  14. aftermac [70]
  15. SpiceWare [67]
  16. keilbaca [64]
  17. Mister VCS [63]
  18. Captain Beard [61]
  19. godzillajoe [56]
  20. katana [51]
  21. Scrabbler15 [44]
  22. 4Ks [41]
  23. brandondwright [30]
  24. Vectorman0 [29]
  25. Carey85 [29]
  26. NML32 [27]
  27. Tr3vor [27]
  28. homerwannabee [26]
  29. Impaler_26 [26]
  30. Hornpipe2 [25]
  31. Wickeycolumbus [24]
  32. Jifremok [23]
  33. devwebcl [21]
  34. SekOner [20]
  35. pis [19]
  36. chuckwalla [17]
  37. HatNJ [14]
  38. Pioneer4x4 [13]
  39. Nathan Strum [11]
  40. Chuck D. Head [10]
  41. LoneWolfSeth [10]
  42. LaserHawk [10]
  43. vintagegamecrazy [9]
  44. joeypsp [9]
  45. Lendorian [9]
  46. littleman jack [8]
  47. kote [8]
  48. SeaGtGruff [7]
  49. Animan [6]
  50. Player 3 [6]
  51. Ravey [5]
  52. Chris Leach [5]
  53. MIKE5200 [4]
  54. Skaarg [4]
  55. JayWI [3]
  56. Shannon [2]
  57. jeremysart [2]
  58. sloth713 [2]
  59. jjd [2]
  60. SpaceInvaders [2]
  61. ChrisKoopa [1]
  62. Nati [1]
  63. disjuakifa [1]

Scoring Points in Infiltrate
  • Retrieve a Secret Document - 3000 points
  • Shoot an Assassin - 250 points (+75 while riding elevator)
  • You get an extra life ever 10,000 points (maximum 6)

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints.

Scrabbler15

If you just stand beside the elevator until it gets to the same floor, the guy will jump on it by himself (instead of jumping over it when you're holding a direction).

SekOner

My strategy is simple i try to avoid the monsters the best i can until they speed up like crazy, and score most of my points with the scrolls that appear at the top and bottom. however you can rack up alot of cheap points if you shoot them when their coming up or down an elevator right before they can shoot you. The best spots for this is the one on the second floor mid elevator,the bottom right one,and the top left one. they usually spawn there alot(but it varies). however don't do it more than 3 times or else it will become SUPER fast and there's no way to dodge it. Also don't stand and shoot them while you're in between elevators, stand on the sides where there isn't an elevator behind you.

Never forget you can duck, except in an "assassin strike".

Here is the technique i use at the beginning of the game, i rarely if at all shoot during the first part of the game. From my gameplay you can see a few tricks that i figured out, You can exploit the duck ability so that they have a very hard time getting you as you'll see. (btw this was a quick one take one live kinda thing, please excuse its "guerrilla" style filming

--Zero

First attempt: 16,700. First score post, no idea how high the scores ought to be.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this one. It's certainly...er, kinda awful. It may grow on me though. I'll try some more.

EDIT:

I've upped my score to 21,875. This piece of crap's actually a lot of fun.

Edited by Jifremok

this game is full of cheap shots, how do they teleport like 4 feet away from the elevators when they get off? I wanted to shoot them right when they elevate down, but they transport right on me. I have a really hard time getting on and off the elevators. when I try getting on one, i get on, and fly off the other side, so I try getting on one by tapping the button, that doesn't work either. getting off is just as hard.

Edit: not fair, how come they can shoot on the elevators and I cant?

Edited by Tr3vor

this game is full of cheap shots, how do they teleport like 4 feet away from the elevators when they get off? I wanted to shoot them right when they elevate down, but they transport right on me. I have a really hard time getting on and off the elevators. when I try getting on one, i get on, and fly off the other side, so I try getting on one by tapping the button, that doesn't work either. getting off is just as hard.

Edit: not fair, how come they can shoot on the elevators and I cant?

I had the same problem with getting on the elevators. If you just stand beside the elevator until it gets to the same floor, the guy will jump on it by himself.

I used to LOVE this game!, also i just realized

i have a webcam that i can take pics of my score with.

anywho, 76,675

post-26442-127925246135_thumb.jpg

My strategy is simple i try to avoid the monsters the best i can until they speed up like crazy, and score most of my points with the scrolls that appear at the top and bottom. however you can rack up alot of cheap points if you shoot them when their coming up or down an elevator right before they can shoot you. The best spots for this is the one on the second floor mid elevator,the bottom right one,and the top left one. they usually spawn there alot(but it varies). however don't do it more than 3 times or else it will become SUPER fast and there's no way to dodge it. Also don't stand and shoot them while you're in between elevators, stand on the sides where there isn't an elevator behind you.

EDIT: This may seem obvious but i still see it commonly, when trying to get on an elevator just stand next to it and you will get on automatically if you walk towards it you walk through it.

2nd Never forget you can duck, except in an 'assassin strike".

EDIT: Wow, i didn't realize i actually beat TG's 2nd place score, now i NEED to make a video of it and submit it.

Edited by SekOner

anywho, 76,675

My strategy is i try to avoid the monsters the best i can, and score most of my points with the scroll that appears on the top floor then bottom. however you can rack up alot of cheap points if you shoot them on the second floor mid elevator and the bottom right one, they re spawn there alot. however don't do it more than 3 times or else it will become SUPER fast and theres no way to dodge it.

Nice score.

Edited by Scrabbler15

anywho, 76,675

My strategy is i try to avoid the monsters the best i can, and score most of my points with the scroll that appears on the top floor then bottom. however you can rack up alot of cheap points if you shoot them on the second floor mid elevator and the bottom right one, they re spawn there alot. however don't do it more than 3 times or else it will become SUPER fast and theres no way to dodge it.

Nice score.

I just played this, again, and I decided this response was inadequate. So here ya go:

Wow, get outta town! That is an AWESOME score! Nice! Nice! Nice!

Ha ha thank you for the kind words, you have no idea how long that took. This is one of my few "specialty" games. If i can position this laptop right i might be able to make a video of me playing to show my technique:

Here is the technique i use at the beginning of the game, i rarely if at all shoot during the first part of the game. From my gameplay you can see a few tricks that i figured out, You can exploit the duck ability so that they have a very hard time getting you as you'll see. (btw this was a quick one take one live kinda thing, please excuse its "guerrilla" style filming

The other game i have spent way to much time on is 2600 Dig Dug, i really wish that was coming in the rotation. I can get crazy high scores on that.

Edited by SekOner

After about 15 attempts... I got 23,925

I didn't remember how to play this one, but now I got the hang of it.... just need to

handle the irratic flail gameplay.

I congradulate Sea and Sekoner for their really amazing scores, even with some techniques.

Very nice :thumbsup:

post-3059-127929248345_thumb.jpg

I got the robots stuck in the spawning pattern again. I got 6 spare lives, then got my score to just below the next 10000 (which is what you have to get to earn a spare life), so that if I died, I would be able to earn another spare life quickly. Sure enough, I started getting clobbered, and was down to about 3 spare lives, then the robots got stuck in the same spawning pattern. But before I could get 6 more spare lives, they came out of the pattern, and I started getting clobbered again. Then, when I was down to 0 spare lives, they got stuck in the spawning pattern a third time, so I racked up enough points to build up 6 spare lives again, then started back trying to collect the secret documents, and got clobbered for good at 178875.

Michael

post-7456-127933603235_thumb.png

Check the picture I posted with 6 spare lives. If you can get in that spot while both robots are on the next-to-the-highest level, sometimes they'll get stuck in the pattern-- you shoot the one that comes down the elevator, it spawns back at the top, and you can just stand there and shoot as the next one comes down, which spawns at the top again. It's difficult to make happen, because both of the robots have to be near the top. If you can manage it-- and it's more a matter of luck than skill-- then you can earn up to 6 spare lives that way before you start going back after the documents.

Michael

6700 - I participated.

Yeah, this game is pretty brutal! It's easy to get wiped out in a hurry, even if you've managed to earn 6 spare lives. I think it's better than expected, because it challenges you to work up some kind of strategy-- which is hard, since it usually seems like surviving is more a question of luck than skill. The trick (other than hoping to get the robots stuck in a spawning pattern! ;)) is to figure out which levels to lurk on, and which elevators to stay between, which of course depends on where the robots are. I bought this game when it first came out, back in the days when I would buy just about any and all games that came out for the 2600. At first I thought it was a dog, but I kept going back to it, and soon I realized that I actually enjoyed it! For being such a simple game, it's really a bit complex, given the way the elevators have different heights and speeds. Don't give up on it too quickly. :)

Michael

I think this game would be better if the difficulty (speed of enemies) ramped up a bit slower.

On top of this, I would have coded it such that you could only shoot a finite amount of enemies (and still earn points for doing it) prior to getting the next document. This would force the player to get more documents (object of the game) instead of just stand in a sweet spot and shoot. When the player gets the document then this counter is reset and some enemies can be shot again.

Another bit I would play around with is a time bonus for aquiring the next document quickly.

Finally, the collision detection can be improved some too. A few times I've seen multiple bullets pass through the enemies without destroying them.

An now for my new score...

post-10944-127939300744_thumb.jpg