IGNORED

Good Bye, 1 vs. 100

davepesc

Story

Kotaku

Microsoft confirmed today that there will be no third season for their Xbox 360 version of 1 Vs. 100 and that the game won't be returning.

"When we started on this journey, we knew we were creating an entirely new genre of entertainment that would be a continually evolving concept," said Dave McCarthy, General Manager, Microsoft Game Studios. "We're very proud of the ‘1 vs 100' team and their accomplishments, and are excited to apply what we've learned to future programming."

During the beta season more than 114,000 people played the game on Xbox Live simultaneously.

According to Microsoft the 1 Vs. 100 team is now "focusing their skills and applying the technology used to develop "1 vs 100" to new projects that will be unveiled in the future."

Let's hope that Microsoft is more supportive of those projects then they apparently were of this one.

:( So sad to see this. I loved 1 vs. 100. It was the most fun I ever had over Live. The community was great. I wonder if the "free" model is what killed it.

I'm really not surprised at this news. Even though there is is this statement....

"During the beta season more than 114,000 people played the game on Xbox Live simultaneously."

The number I often saw playing were much less, as low as < 10k. With millions of potential players...this seems like paltry numbers.

I'm really not surprised at this news. Even though there is is this statement....

"During the beta season more than 114,000 people played the game on Xbox Live simultaneously."

The number I often saw playing were much less, as low as < 10k. With millions of potential players...this seems like paltry numbers.

The numbers were pretty good during the live events. if memory serves, they were usually around 50k even at the end. The "extended play" times often dipped below 10k, but there were no prizes to win or anything. The times might not have been the best, either. Saturday night is, well, Saturday night. And I think the Tuesday night episode was opposite Lost.

All in all, I thought 1 vs. 100 was great. Sure, there was plenty of room for improvement, but look at how far they came. I remember the game crashing a lot early on, and I'll never forget the first time I saw "The One" lose connection! But by the end, everything was stable and the lag issues were cleaned up (at least for me). For the record, I made the mob once, but missed some question about African politics or something that put out over half the mob, so no prize!

if memory serves, they were usually around 50k even at the end.

Yeah the highlights I saw while playing were like 45k-50k, still always seemed pretty small. I imagine the thing was going to be partially funded by advertising. (The commercials during the breaks) Those kind of numbers don't scream big bucks to me.

I really enjoyed it and hate to see it go by the way side. Live trivia is a blast. I learned something almost every game. If I had known it was going to be canceled I would have tried harder to get the achievements. I figured they would just happen through play, instead of focusing on them. All in all it was well worth what I paid for it. ;)