IGNORED

Why does the internet pay attention to only a small fraction of videogames?

As a Super Nintendo fan, this annoys me a lot. Back when I was 5 years old, looking in video game stores, there were tons of platformers, with an occassional RPG thrown in. If you google search the Super Nintendo nowadays, it's the complete opposite. The Super Nintendo had a lot of action games, such as Contra, MegaManX, Sparkster, Wild Guns, Axelay, Space Megaforce, Cybernator, etc but everytime you google search action games for the Snes, all that pops up is Gradius 3. People complain about slowdowns in Snes games, yet they've only experienced the tip of the iceberg of Snes games. Beleive me, when you dig deeper down, you'd find it being perfectly capable of running action games and platformers. People just need to look beyond the first page of the search engine.

the same can be said of the Sega Genesis… people label the Genesis and even the succeeding Sega consoles as "sports consoles". The Genesis had a many great games across all genre… many great shooters, solid RPGs, and a wealth of action titles, as well as many solid arcade ports. But people whom are not favor of the Genesis (and to a lesser degree Saturn and Dreamcast), just bash it for being a sports machine… sure, the sports games are plenty and the annual sports games started on the Genesis, but there are so much more great titles in the Genesis library…

I've gotten into the habit of specifically searching out the obscure or underappreciated games on my systems. A lot of the time it's a real shame which games become popular. Can't say snes is my choice for 16-bit shooters though. glancing at the library, I've only got 4, and to my surprise I've played none of them. Of course I can't say if they're bad or not, just that snes obviously isn't my choice...

As far as action games go, it's got a pretty nice port of sunset riders. oh the memories.

Something I find annoying is when people think that because X game is made by Y company it has to be good.

oh I dunno, I still buy games with the Treasure or Working Designs badge displayed pretty much by reflex. hasn't burned me too badly.

Edited by Reaperman

Scale free network theory. Linked is an excellent book that explains how everything is shaped by a few simple rules that govern the geometry of networks.

In short, hubs have lots of links. Having lots of links attracts more links. Popular games are hubs, people who want to try new games will tend to try something that's recommended to them. So the hubs gather more and more links.

Can't say snes is my choice for 16-bit shooters though. glancing at the library, I've only got 4, and to my surprise I've played none of them. Of course I can't say if they're bad or not, just that snes obviously isn't my choice...

Something I find annoying is when people think that because X game is made by Y company it has to be good.

oh I dunno, I still buy games with the Treasure or Working Designs badge displayed pretty much by reflex. hasn't burned me too badly.

though the SNES isn't the strongest platform for shooters, there are some excellent titles:

Space Megaforce - this my personal favorite on the SNES and one of my top 25 overall. it is amazing how this game is done and plays without a hitch!

Biometal - the music soundtrack is terrible (the Japanese game has original music as I've been told) BUT the game is great and is a very solid game

R-Type III - this third entry in the franchise is a vast improvement over Super R-Type and should not be missed… so long as you're a fan of R-Type in general…

as for Working Designs, I've been a huge fan since I first got Parasol Stars back in 1991… I've managed to complete the complete retail collection of all their games, and I am only in need of a couple stratagy guides… the only thing I'd really need for a 110% complete collection is the Elemental Gearbolt assassins case! I don't think I'll ever get that piece :'(

(I think I'll get to posting my WD collection in the show your collection forum…)

though the SNES isn't the strongest platform for shooters, there are some excellent titles:

Space Megaforce - this my personal favorite on the SNES and one of my top 25 overall. it is amazing how this game is done and plays without a hitch!

Biometal - the music soundtrack is terrible (the Japanese game has original music as I've been told) BUT the game is great and is a very solid game

R-Type III - this third entry in the franchise is a vast improvement over Super R-Type and should not be missed… so long as you're a fan of R-Type in general…

I'll have to check those out. I'm surfing youtube to check out my list and it looks like my Thunder Spirits import is the only winner and even it looks like it needs about twice as many enemies. Otherwise I've got Earth Defense Force, Super Nova and Super R-type.

Edited by Reaperman

I'll have to check those out. I'm surfing youtube to check out my list and it looks like my Thunder Spirits import is the only winner and even it looks like it needs about twice as many enemies. Otherwise I've got Earth Defense Force, Super Nova and Super R-type.

Also check out UN Squadron which has good music.

Thunder Spirits is better on the Genesis as Thunder Force III. (great game)