IGNORED

Any Shenmue fans here?

Jacob Marley

i would also like to add how i like the way its not a kill everything type of game. when you think about were u start out in the game to were u are int he end its kind of amazing. you start off not knowing anything and you talk to one person who directs you to another, the next thing you know you kicking some mad angel ass and saving your girlfriend. i think the way that they connected the whole game together making everything a clue to the next step was genius

I finished Shenmue I AND II on the Dreamcast. I like them both equally. Some time I'll get around to replaying both. Replaying them will be interesting and different because I won't be focused on completing the game and can take my time and explore some of the side stuff I may have missed the first time through.

If you don't have Shenmue II for the Dreamcast, get it.

That's kind of how I felt too.

Shenmue 1 had a better storyline. The setting was a rural Japanese city and its surrounding areas. People in the town knew you. The whole setting somehow felt more inviting, intimate and friendly. The shops and buildings were better integrated into the story and I actually enjoyed exploring everything and playing all those cool games.

With Shenmue 2, I think they made it TOO big. Sure, it's impressive, but the problem is that you just don't seem to have the time to SEE it all! Some buildings or shops, there's just no need to visit them. Visiting arcades, playing mini-games..it just didn't seem to be as fun or as necessary in this game. And just wait until you reach Kowloon with it's multi-floored buildings that have TONS of shops and eateries on most of them! There's just too much to see and do, it's somewhat daunting at first. Plus, you're a stranger in a strange land, and it seems that friends are too few and far between. Coupled with Ryo's introspective demeanor, the sequel just feels less intimate and friendly.

Am I saying Shenmue II is a bad game? Not at all! Right now it's my favorite xbox game and I would urge everyone to play it at least once! Just don't expect the same experience as you got while playing Shenmue 1!

In the second game, those multi-floored, interconnected buildings did get to be somewhat of a pain.

Agreed...but the absolute worst part is the 10 floor plank walking section in the Ghost Hall Building. Those have to be some of the most difficult QTE's I've ever seen in a Shenmue game! I normally breeze through QTE's, but you miss one on this section and back to the first floor you go!

shenmue never really got to me. at first i was opposed to the idea of a game where you talk to people, go somewhere, talk to more people... etc.

but after putting a little more time into it, it grew on me. it made me want to keep playing. and in the end i thought that the idea of a game that moves forward through dialogue really does work.

i think the way that they connected the whole game together making everything a clue to the next step was genius

i agree with this, the whole game seemed to come together in some deep ways, and it really made you think about what was going on.

What I liked the most about Shemue?

I never saw a "game over" screen.

Both games had the perfect combination of giving you a totally free environment, while at the same time always prodding you in the right direction as far as the overall story of the game went. And for the most part, you were never left wondering what the hell you were supposed to do to get past a certain point - which happened to me when I tried to play RE Veronica - I got stuck, and gave up on it.

Shenmue is an awesome game.  I've only played 1 & 2 on the DC.  I was much more into Shenmue 1 than the second one.  Is the XBox version the same as the DC version?  

Unfortunately, I won't be buying or playing Shenmue3 as there's no XBox in my future.

The xbox vers of shenmue 2 is basiclaly the dc version with some minor improvements. The improvements are mainly more realistic water textures, some really nice real-time lighting effects, quicker loading, no slowdown or frame drops, faster saves, one disc (as opposed to 3 or 4 on dc), and the english dubbed voice. It also comes with an English Shenmue1 DVD movie which is the same movie that teh Japanese got to see in theaters and on VHS/DVD which consists of the in-game footage of the the DC Shenmue 1

That's too bad that you'll miss out on Shenmue 3. I'm not sure what your reasons are for disliking the xbox, but i can say from my experience that it's a very good system. Also, Yu Suzuki did not confirm as to which system 3 will be out for, but xbox is probably the likelly choice at the moment.

My reason for not wanting an XBox is mostly because *I* am interested in VERY few of the games they have out for it. I'm not interested in playing Halo, I understand it's a great game, just not my kind of game.

Crazy Taxi 3 almost interests me, but after playing the first 2, it wouldn't keep me entertained very long.

I do want to play Project Gotham Racing and possibly Shenmue 3...those are the only 2 titles that remotely interest me, although I could live without both.

I bought a PS2 just for GTA 3..I won't be buying another system just for one or two games I want to play ever again.

My reason for not wanting an XBox is mostly because *I* am interested in VERY few of the games they have out for it.  I'm not interested in playing Halo, I understand it's a great game, just not my kind of game.  

Crazy Taxi 3 almost interests me, but after playing the first 2, it wouldn't keep me entertained very long.

I do want to play Project Gotham Racing and possibly Shenmue 3...those are the only 2 titles that remotely interest me, although I could live without both.  

I bought a PS2 just for GTA 3..I won't be buying another system just for one or two games I want to play ever again.

3 words:

Panzer Dragoon Orta.