IGNORED

Atari Touch Typing: Disk Edition

jaybird3rd

Late last year, I decided to start giving my niece and nephew computer lessons, and I wanted to begin with some simple typing exercises. They both have MyIDE-enabled Atari computers that I built for them, so after looking at my options on the Atari machines, I decided that I liked Atari's Touch Typing program the best. However, I didn't want to be bothered with using tapes, so I created a version of the program that runs from floppy disk (and from MyIDE, of course).

Like the original tape-based version, it is divided into two sides: side one is the beginning exercises, and side two is the intermediate/advanced exercises (both still require BASIC). Since AtariMania doesn't seem to want them, I figured I'd post them here in case anyone else can use them. Enjoy!

AtariTouchTyping.zip

• Like 2

Have you tried "WizType"?

Thanks for the files!

Bob

Late last year, I decided to start giving my niece and nephew computer lessons, and I wanted to begin with some simple typing exercises. They both have MyIDE-enabled Atari computers that I built for them, so after looking at my options on the Atari machines, I decided that I liked Atari's Touch Typing program the best. However, I didn't want to be bothered with using tapes, so I created a version of the program that runs from floppy disk (and from MyIDE, of course).

Like the original tape-based version, it is divided into two sides: side one is the beginning exercises, and side two is the intermediate/advanced exercises (both still require BASIC). Since AtariMania doesn't seem to want them, I figured I'd post them here in case anyone else can use them. Enjoy!

AtariTouchTyping.zip

It does seem a bit crazy that atarimania only takes original images, surely they could have a category for mods, hacks or other non-original formats :?:

e.g. Lost Tomb where the original disk image is unplayable (room 6+) and the tape image that's been transferred to disk elsewhere is fine... etc :|

• 3 months later...

Oh course, there is also this one: ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/holmes%20cd/Holmes%201/ATR%20Programs/Applications%20A-Z/Touch%20Typing%20-basic.atr

Little annoying with the flashing, and the linefeed problem, but it works, and I think it's been around for quite a while.

My parents had purchased Touch Typing for the family at a local computer store back in the 80s, and the store was kind enough to put it on disk for them when we got a 1050. This was not the version they provided, but it's similar.

Wow! I remember loading the cassette into my 800. Never typed so many sentences about "Senator Sims." Remember him?

If you look at Side Two, you'll find a data file (I think I called it "ADV.DAT") containing the advanced typing exercises, transferred directly from the original tape. It's just a plain text file with some special characters to delineate the end of each exercise, so if you really wanted to, you could use a text editor to modify or replace this file and create your own exercises. As I recall, there are some blank lines at the end of the file, and the program won't properly detect the end of the file without them, so anyone who wants to try this should be sure not to remove them.

Wow! I remember loading the cassette into my 800. Never typed so many sentences about "Senator Sims." Remember him?

If you look at Side Two, you'll find a data file (I think I called it "ADV.DAT") containing the advanced typing exercises, transferred directly from the original tape. It's just a plain text file with some special characters to delineate the end of each exercise, so if you really wanted to, you could use a text editor to modify or replace this file and create your own exercises. As I recall, there are some blank lines at the end of the file, and the program won't properly detect the end of the file without them, so anyone who wants to try this should be sure not to remove them.

Thanks, man!

I was so excited about the zip file, I didn't fully comprehend all of your original post:

Late last year, I decided to start giving my niece and nephew computer lessons, and I wanted to begin with some simple typing exercises. They both have MyIDE-enabled Atari computers that I built for them, <SNIP!>

I nominate you for "Uncle of the New Millenium." I wish I had such worthwhile uncles, or any other relative for that matter....

• Like 1