IGNORED

Console Price Drops!! NOT!

Albert

Ahhhhh Now's the time my friends. The big question now is.... Which one first??? X-box??? or Gamecube??

Neither one really has the advantage in my eyes. There's a handful of games I wanna play on the GC and a handful on the Xbox.

Might wind up coming down to a coin toss....

I do wanna play that Morrowind though.

I doubt it but it'd be nice.  You know, people get so hung up on system wars, but it's better for gamers when three or so competitors are evenly balanced, hungry, and slashing prices all over the place.

No kidding! I paid twice as much for both my PS2 ($300!) and GameCube ($200!) I haven't bought an X-Box yet and presently have no plans to. Maybe when they get down to $100. ;)

..Al

I just scrolled the entire Voodoo page from top to bottom.

I'll be kinda mad if GC is $99 now, considering I spent almost $200 on my bundle pack with Mario Sunshine, controller, and memory card. I did say "kinda" though, because even if I overpaid, I still love the system. :D

How can all three competitors be planning it at the same time and all three be keeping it secret? The last round of price drops didn't go like that.

Anyone remember last Thanksgiving? New dreamcasts were dropped to $50 right after turkey day, and ToysRUs even jumped the gun by 3 days. I bought a 3rd DC thats still sitting unopened in the closet. The saleman told me he never got one because there were no good Star Wars games on it.

Yeah, I don't think it's true for now.  VE probably just went with some rumors because no news source has appeared today to validate these price drops.

Honestly, it seemed a little outrageous. I mean even the PS1 was $100 when it was introduced as the original PSX in a slimmer lighter package. When they dropped that sucker to $50 I was like :o - in fact I should probably buy one at that price and stuff it in the closet so I have a backup in case the one I own now dies. Now let's look at the GC, which until recently sold for $200, which is already a bargain in my estimation (just imagine what a 1980's Atari would sell for in today's $ with inflation). Then to fight the price wars when PS2 dropped to $200, they dropped to $150. Again, I was like :o - and then when they came out with the bundle package of about $230 worth of stuff for just under $200 I was like KA-CHING sold! :D Now I could MAYBE see them selling the bundle pack for a limited time at a reduced price for Christmas to run up sales - say $170 or $180, but unless X-Box suddenly plunged their console price through the toilet (I doubt they will since X-Box Live seems to be a hit) or Sony upped the ante by slashing the PS2 +AGAIN+ (they're probably selling it at a loss as is so I doubt they would) we're probably not going to see another console drop this year.

Having three major consoles on the market does foster a very competitive environment, but I think they know at this point they'd be eating themselves alive in another round of slashing, so they're concentrating on winning the war with BETTER SOFTWARE and offering THAT at a lower pricepoint. That seems the smart way to go. In another 6 to 7 months when all the early adopters and Johnny-Come-Latelys have been exhausted, we MIGHT see a few incremental drops - but I don't predict a big slash of any sort until they're ready for a new next gen console. Actually I'm hoping that right now they view the current generation as having staying power, since they're all launching network adaptors and add on periphreals. I wouldn't mind a PS3 eventually, but I'm hoping late 2004 at the soonest.

What features would you like to see in a PS3 model besides the obvious of faster speed and more memory? I think it would be great that it could play MP3s also instead of just audio CDs. I would also like to have broadband built in and not as an option.

Anyone else have any features that they would like to see?

What features would you like to see in a PS3 model besides the obvious of faster speed and more memory? I think it would be great that it could play MP3s also instead of just audio CDs. I would also like to have broadband built in and not as an option.

2 things that i think new consoles could benenfit from: remote power toggle and disc changing functions. that way, i wouldnt have to get up to switch games, or turn it off!

but new consoles are a long way away...

A hard disk...

Memory cards are too expensive, and very cool games will be developed if the other consoles get on board and install them..

Broadband would be sweet.

HDTV support... or does the PS2 already have this?

I would also like to have broadband built in and not as an option.

It most likely will be standard, as Sony's current plan for the PS3 is to not use any media at all, but require games to be downloaded or played off a network directly.

The solaronite is a way to explode the actual particles of sunlight.

I would like to see a new controller for PS3. Definitely would want 4 controller ports. I would like them not to release that controller-less thing. I think that would be very confusing and not very accurate.

I would also like to have broadband built in and not as an option.

It most likely will be standard, as Sony's current plan for the PS3 is to not use any media at all, but require games to be downloaded or played off a network directly.

That's going too far, if you ask me. Not everybody is going to be on broadband by 2003 or 4, and any good game is going to be massive in size, which even on a high speed connection could take half a day to pull off the network. And what if your connection dies, or the hard drive (I'm presuming it would HAVE to have one) craps out? And myself personally, I like still having something I can feel in my hand; even if it's only a longbox a manual and a disc as opposed to an actual cartridge. If they go to all online and no media, how's it any different from a computer at that point? That's no gaming console at all. FEH! :P