IGNORED

lynx on tv

skippy

Well, I wasn't thinking of converting the signal to be read by a PC. I was thinking the PC would run software that emulates the hardware that Atari used to convert the signal to a television, bypassing the need to build the hardware.

I'm afraid you are oversimplified things. Assume you could indeed write software that takes the Lynx's video output and displays it on the PC's monitor. You need a way to feed the Lynx's video into the PC so the PC could convert it. There is no port on a PC that even comes close to be able to accept the Lynx's video signal so you need to create hardware to converts the Lynx's signal to something a PC port could understand. Such an adapter would be so complex that an adapter that directly outputs a RGB or HDMI signal would have a similar complexity.

Robert

Edited by rdemming

I love the Lynx, but a TV adaptor wouldnot have made it serious competition to the Genesis or TG-16 as a home console. As spectacular as Lynx games can look on the small screen, on TV it is very obvious that it can´t keep up with the other systems in some core aspects; one being the resolution, which is just very low on Lynx, even lower than the res of the original GameBoy. The other issue is that it only displays 16 colors on screen.

This would have looked very outdated by 1989, when Lynx, Genesis and TG-16 were released.

I do play Lynx on TV btw; thanks to the original Xbox. I have the mednafen Lynx-emulator for it and it lets me play most Lynx games on TV flawlessly. :)

Yet another reason I need to hunt down an original XBOX and get it modded.

Does it support Save States?

It does, and so much more. Emulators on Xbox are more luxurious than on PC even. You can make screenshots and videos and have them run in the game selection screen in the background like a preview for each game. And you can put manuals, maps etc on the Xbox too, and when you play a Lynx game you can have the game paused and your manual, map or FAQ displayed by the press of a button. And you can resize the screen the way you want; stretch it vertically to fit 4:3 TV screens, or any other way you want.

Well, I wasn't thinking of converting the signal to be read by a PC. I was thinking the PC would run software that emulates the hardware that Atari used to convert the signal to a television, bypassing the need to build the hardware.

I'm afraid you are oversimplified things. Assume you could indeed write software that takes the Lynx's video output and displays it on the PC's monitor. You need a way to feed the Lynx's video into the PC so the PC could convert it. There is no port on a PC that even comes close to be able to accept the Lynx's video signal so you need to create hardware to converts the Lynx's signal to something a PC port could understand. Such an adapter would be so complex that an adapter that directly outputs a RGB or HDMI signal would have a similar complexity.

Robert

Well, I wasn't thinking of displaying it on a PC monitor. I was thinking of displaying it on a television. But yeah, you obviously understand this better than I do so I don't think I could keep up my end of the discussion.

Have you looked at the plans for the hardware? What do you think of it?

It does, and so much more. Emulators on Xbox are more luxurious than on PC even. You can make screenshots and videos and have them run in the game selection screen in the background like a preview for each game. And you can put manuals, maps etc on the Xbox too, and when you play a Lynx game you can have the game paused and your manual, map or FAQ displayed by the press of a button. And you can resize the screen the way you want; stretch it vertically to fit 4:3 TV screens, or any other way you want.

Man... you need to PM me to tell me some ins and outs...

I need to jump on one of these. I just have no clue what to look for and what to do.

• 4 years later...

You managed to bump this old thread and overlooked McWill's mod. :/ His LCD mod also includes VGA out and there are plenty of VGA-to-anything converters so Lynx can connect to TV that doesn't have VGA support built in.

Game Gear has had TV out capability for a while thanks to RGB hack although McWill's LCD mod also have VGA out and fixes one issue no one else fixed in the past: shrunk screen when playing GG games. Game Gear scaled down SMS games to fit (when used with SMS to GG adapter or using Everdrive GG with SMS roms) but the mod bypassed the internal scaler and SMS games ends up full screen on TV while GG has frickin' huge border.

TurboExpress (and GT) already have easy mod. Internally they use the same chips as their non-portable counterparts so one can add composite, S-Video, and RGB out. Nomad is also easily modded. Original Gameboy could use SNES' Super Gameboy and there's CGB adapter as well. GBA has TV-out kit from many years ago, one may still pop up on eBay. DS and 3DS even have TV-out although 3D part doesn't work last I checked.

AFAIK the only portable systems left without easy mod are Microvision and Virtualboy. Microvision has very primitive 16x16 resolution and would look downright blocky on big TV and poor Microvision doesn't get much love. Virtualboy was designed for 3D and while people have hacked VB to show up on monitors, I don't think anyone has come up with 3D video output usable on 3D capable TVs. AFAIK no video out kit exists for VB either.

• Like 1

You managed to bump this old thread and overlooked McWill's mod. :/ His LCD mod also includes VGA out and there are plenty of VGA-to-anything converters so Lynx can connect to TV that doesn't have VGA support built in.

Game Gear has had TV out capability for a while thanks to RGB hack although McWill's LCD mod also have VGA out and fixes one issue no one else fixed in the past: shrunk screen when playing GG games. Game Gear scaled down SMS games to fit (when used with SMS to GG adapter or using Everdrive GG with SMS roms) but the mod bypassed the internal scaler and SMS games ends up full screen on TV while GG has frickin' huge border.

TurboExpress (and GT) already have easy mod. Internally they use the same chips as their non-portable counterparts so one can add composite, S-Video, and RGB out. Nomad is also easily modded. Original Gameboy could use SNES' Super Gameboy and there's CGB adapter as well. GBA has TV-out kit from many years ago, one may still pop up on eBay. DS and 3DS even have TV-out although 3D part doesn't work last I checked.

AFAIK the only portable systems left without easy mod are Microvision and Virtualboy. Microvision has very primitive 16x16 resolution and would look downright blocky on big TV and poor Microvision doesn't get much love. Virtualboy was designed for 3D and while people have hacked VB to show up on monitors, I don't think anyone has come up with 3D video output usable on 3D capable TVs. AFAIK no video out kit exists for VB either.

Yeah, sorry. I found that thread right after this one.....will look into McWill's mod. Looks great.