IGNORED

5200 Redemption *MUST* be re-issued!

eightbit

Doesn't someone now sell a pretty much bulletproof rebuild kit for the 5200 controllers?

Even if the A5200 controllers were working perfectly, I would take the Wico over them. I would take the digital joystick adapters over Wico. And I would take the A800/A2600 digital joysticks over the digital joysticks adapters.

I would take the Wico over them.

I have two Wico's and the pots are gone on both of them. I hear all sorts of good things about them, but they appear about as fickle as the 5200 stock controllers from everything I've seen.

Oh, by the way, the Wico pots are small proprietary ones that cost ~$25 a piece versus readily available pots for 5200 stock controllers at around $3 a piece.

Edited by tz101

I would take the Wico over them.

I have two Wico's and the pots are gone on both of them. I hear all sorts of good things about them, but they appear about as fickle as the 5200 stock controllers from everything I've seen.

Oh, by the way, the Wico pots are small proprietary ones that cost ~$25 a piece versus readily available pots for 5200 stock controllers at around $3 a piece.

All controllers are useless if they are not working; but going by comparing working controllers, Wico is better than A5200 stock joystick controller. The big fire button that is on top and easy to press is one reason. The fact that they make the second button smaller and for good reason as it's less probable to be used is another reason. The stick self-centers more accurately than the stock A5200 controller. Some PC joysticks are like the Wico like the Gravis one with two buttons. One thing I don't like about the Wico is that the calibrators can easily be pressed and throw off the centering. The gravis one has screws that require a screwdriver to reach and adjust for calibration.

All controllers are useless if they are not working; but going by comparing working controllers, Wico is better than A5200 stock joystick controller.

Thats just an opinion. I have lots of perfectly working wico sticks thrown in a box and never used. I always say "crap" when I see them while I hunt through my stuff. They just feel weird. Very odd design to the stick. And the centering adjusters are a pain in the ass. When the stick snaps back to center, it turns or moves your player in the other direction. The buttons dont bottom out, so those feel like crap too. The stick itself looks just... funny.

Obviously I'm not a fan of the Wico, but I've played a few games with that that were not all bad. :)

Still, just because they are the only readily available option of a self centering stick for the 5200, doesn't mean they are great. I would take the stock stick any day. So to say one is better than the other is an opinion. Thats mine.

All controllers are useless if they are not working; but going by comparing working controllers, Wico is better than A5200 stock joystick controller.

Thats just an opinion. I have lots of perfectly working wico sticks thrown in a box and never used. I always say "crap" when I see them while I hunt through my stuff. They just feel weird. Very odd design to the stick. And the centering adjusters are a pain in the ass. When the stick snaps back to center, it turns or moves your player in the other direction. The buttons dont bottom out, so those feel like crap too. The stick itself looks just... funny.

Obviously I'm not a fan of the Wico, but I've played a few games with that that were not all bad. :)

Still, just because they are the only readily available option of a self centering stick for the 5200, doesn't mean they are great. I would take the stock stick any day. So to say one is better than the other is an opinion. Thats mine.

It's what you wrote that's an opinion and subjective. Controllers have to be in working condition to be compared is an obvious fact otherwise you'll be comparing apples and oranges. It makes no sense in comparing a Wico that doesn't properly center or is not properly calibrated with a stock A5200 working controller. And buttons are easier to press on Wico than on A5200 (again comparing two working sticks). You have to perform a controlled experiment -- play the same games like Pac-man and Space Invaders and some others with both sticks having gotten used to using both and see which one gives you better control and score. That's what my analysis is based on. Of course, the digital joysticks usually win over both.

As far as analog-based games go, the Atari 2600 Paddles give better results for Super Breakout than A5200 stock controller. Once again, the A2600 paddle button is much easier to press and higher quality than A5200 button.

It's what you wrote that's an opinion and subjective. Controllers have to be in working condition to be compared is an obvious fact otherwise you'll be comparing apples and oranges. It makes no sense in comparing a Wico that doesn't properly center or is not properly calibrated with a stock A5200 working controller. And buttons are easier to press on Wico than on A5200 (again comparing two working sticks). You have to perform a controlled experiment -- play the same games like Pac-man and Space Invaders and some others with both sticks having gotten used to using both and see which one gives you better control and score. That's what my analysis is based on. Of course, the digital joysticks usually win over both.

As far as analog-based games go, the Atari 2600 Paddles give better results for Super Breakout than A5200 stock controller. Once again, the A2600 paddle button is much easier to press and higher quality than A5200 button.

So when you compare the two things, its a controlled experiment? LOL!

Well I've performed the same "controlled experiment" and the stock controllers spanked the very weird looking Wico sticks. Ok? So you shouldn't make statements like "Wico is better....". Maybe to YOU they are.

Well I've performed the same "controlled experiment" and the stock controllers spanked the very weird looking Wico sticks. Ok? So you shouldn't make statements like "Wico is better....". Maybe to YOU they are.

Obviously, you didn't understand what I wrote. You said your WICOs don't center properly but normally they should so you are not even comparing working sticks. That's not a controlled experiment to start off with. Then saying "crap" doesn't sound too factual either without any reasoning behind it. I play the same games with two working sticks and draw a conclusion based on the results and no learning curve involved. No emotional rantings of feels like "crap" or looks "funny". Those are all subjective opinionated views. "Spanked" is another one that you just used. Completely meaningless as far as reasoning goes. I have been playing HSC with 3 different controllers for almost all games and I can see the results without getting emotoinally involved. If you aren't used to the Wico or its broken, then that's a different story.

Obviously, you didn't understand what I wrote. You said your WICOs don't center properly but normally they should so you are not even comparing working sticks. That's not a controlled experiment to start off with. Then saying "crap" doesn't sound too factual either without any reasoning behind it. I play the same games with two working sticks and draw a conclusion based on the results and no learning curve involved. No emotional rantings of feels like "crap" or looks "funny". Those are all subjective opinionated views. "Spanked" is another one that you just used. Completely meaningless as far as reasoning goes. I have been playing HSC with 3 different controllers for almost all games and I can see the results without getting emotoinally involved. If you aren't used to the Wico or its broken, then that's a different story.

I'll agree, some controllers including the Wico can be better for some games. But then again whats better? I like a wico for space invaders, but my highest score was gotten with a stock controller.

What your not seeing is that when I call Wico crap I'm saying I think they are. I don't like em and thats clear.

When you say the "Wico is better" than the stock stick you are presenting it as if it is just a fact.

And it is not. Not for everyone. As a huge 5200 fan I think we get enough bad mouthing of the system because of the controllers.

On top of that, if you don't see the "crap" and "Spanked" as a way to poke fun at how seriously you present yourself. Like your "controlled experiment" was some white coat thing done in a lab somewhere....

LOL, but then again it seems you want to show your opinion, or way of communicating as being just the better one.

I'll agree, some controllers including the Wico can be better for some games. But then again whats better? I like a wico for space invaders, but my highest score was gotten with a stock controller.

What your not seeing is that when I call Wico crap I'm saying I think they are. I don't like em and thats clear.

When you say the "Wico is better" than the stock stick you are presenting it as if it is just a fact.

And it is not. Not for everyone. As a huge 5200 fan I think we get enough bad mouthing of the system because of the controllers.

On top of that, if you don't see the "crap" and "Spanked" as a way to poke fun at how seriously you present yourself. Like your "controlled experiment" was some white coat thing done in a lab somewhere....

LOL, but then again it seems you want to show your opinion, or way of communicating as being just the better one.

Controlled experiment is just a means of isolating to the thing to be compared and leaving out all other factors like learning curves and working/nonworking state of the controller. It is like a lab experiment. I'm sure if you wanted to determine which controller's POTs last longer, the stock A5200 controller would win there. I am serious that the Wico is superior in terms of game play. Scores vary even if you play the same game with the same controller twice so you have to take an overall average. I think in your case you have used the stock controller for disproportionately longer time that you are not used to the Wico. Non-self centering aside, the buttons are ergonomically not good on stock controller-- they are smaller and on the side with another one making them harder to press. They are digital though so you shouldn't have to press them all the way to the bottom.

If you think ergonomics and self-centering are subjective, then that's your opinion.

wow this seems to be getting a little heated............However I just like the feel of the stock stick more. I think it is partly nostalgia since I had a 5200 when I was a kid.

Thats exactly how I feel. I like the feel of the 5200 stick. Its what I played at my friends house when I was young and now that I'm older it feels Right to me. If you like the Wico better cause it works, I can see that! :-)

It's not heated at all. I like to poke at people who think their opinion is so great, they write it as fact.

Controlled experiment is just a means of isolating to the thing to be compared and leaving out all other factors like learning curves and working/nonworking state of the controller. It is like a lab experiment. I'm sure if you wanted to determine which controller's POTs last longer, the stock A5200 controller would win there. I am serious that the Wico is superior in terms of game play. Scores vary even if you play the same game with the same controller twice so you have to take an overall average. I think in your case you have used the stock controller for disproportionately longer time that you are not used to the Wico. Non-self centering aside, the buttons are ergonomically not good on stock controller-- they are smaller and on the side with another one making them harder to press. They are digital though so you shouldn't have to press them all the way to the bottom.

If you think ergonomics and self-centering are subjective, then that's your opinion.

Well seems you can't just come on down here and say something like "yeah, I did this or that and feel they are better." You need to defend your opinion as a fact. Next time before you go ahead and post your finding as a fact for us all, just remember everything you just typed could be exactly what someone else LOVES about the stock controller.

I'm done.

Well seems you can't just come on down here and say something like "yeah, I did this or that and feel they are better." You need to defend your opinion as a fact. Next time before you go ahead and post your finding as a fact for us all, just remember everything you just typed could be exactly what someone else LOVES about the stock controller.

I'm done.

You can LOVE something that isn't the best thing in the world. I didn't express my opinion as I said. I stated something that is true blue for many people who are into trying different controllers for the same game. One other thing that you need to take into account is the temporal reference frame. I was good at DK so much that I used get around 200K score everytime I played but now I don't play as much so my score is like 100K. That has nothing to do with the controller. So you may have gotten your high score at a time when you weren't using Wicos at all and only your beloved stock controller. So that wouldn't constitute a reason for thinking the stock controller is superior. I don't FEEL they are better. THEY are factually better. You are the one claiming they FEEL like crap of LOOK funny. You are making subjective statements. You didn't even address the ergnomics nor self-centering which have a science behind them.

wow this seems to be getting a little heated. I personally like my wico better because it works and my stock joystick doesn't. However I just like the feel of the stock stick more. I think it is partly nostalgia since I had a 5200 when I was a kid.

I'm not heated, but I guess the arguments can be. If one controller worked and the other didn't that would make it obvious which one to choose. But note that even Wicos fail more so their POTs like TZ101 pointed out. But it's more interesting to me to get to the bottom (truth) of which joystick is superior given both are in perfect working condition. And I actually do 3-way comparisons since I also use the digital joystick interface as well.

Atari 5200 trackball works better for some games than either Wico or stock controller. If it was subjective, there would be no need for a trackball.

I still like the feel of the stock controller better. When I use my wico controllers I don't let them self center because it feels wrong to me for the joystick to self center on the 5200. My opinion. If I could get a stock controller that I feel would last for a LONG time I would buy it in a heart beat and sell both my wico stick and keypad. Better or worse is still an opinion.

I still like the feel of the stock controller better. When I use my wico controllers I don't let them self center because it feels wrong to me for the joystick to self center on the 5200. My opinion. If I could get a stock controller that I feel would last for a LONG time I would buy it in a heart beat and sell both my wico stick and keypad. Better or worse is still an opinion.

If you try games like Montezuma's revenge, Miner 2049er, DK, etc. you'll see value of self-centering and fast manipulation/response of joystick. There's more error in motion with stock controller where critical jumps have to be made with only a couple of pixels to spare. Wico is also error prone but not as much but the digital joystick works best. And then the buttons themselves could certainly have been better like A2600 paddles, A5200 trackball, or A800 joystick.

Two things for the record:

1)

I prefer the Wico to the stock controllers mostly because the analog feels overall more responsive. The buttons I am not overly thrilled by. The stock controllers do less for me, primarily in that the fire button layout isn't suited for my big paws and the stick doesn't feel as responsive. the numeric keypad has never been a problem for me though. <shrug> In short, neither solution does a ton for me.

2)

Atariksi: Did you know that you don't have to quote the entire thread? It's just a waste of bandwidth to quote two screens of a conversation to simply add a paragraph on the end. Quoting the relevant bits and discarding the rest makes reading easier overall, and the conversation is right above your post. :)

Hex.

[ Felt it needed to be said... ]

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the subject of this topic... Does anyone still offer the 5200 Redemption for sale? Or is there any chance that with enough interest the creator of that product might produce a few more? I've been searching for the Redemption all over the web and I keep finding people asking where they can find one. Obviously there is still a lot of interest in this product, hopefully enough to justify a new run.

Has anyone considered over-molding these? It is fairly simple. Have a mold machined out of aluminum. Build the cables with DB 9 or DB 15 connectors w/o the panel flange tabs, then place them in the molds, fill with your favorite epoxy or resin, then walla! molded plug.

There are cable manufacturers that will do this as well for as few as a few hundred units.

Yes, the cable aspect of the Redemption is the main reason it is no longer available. We were able to find a plastic DB15 connector that worked okay in the 5200 with some shaving of the plastic, but it never did fit as well as a normal 5200 connector, which is deeper and has small tabs to help hold the controller in place. We also had to have cables custom built, and they were very expensive overall. On top of that, soldering the cables to the board was also very time consuming and error prone--I had to rework many boards due to the cables alone.

Aside from the cable problem, a revised "Redemption" adapter would also need to use something other than a 5200 cartridge shell for the case, since those are time consuming to prep.

I really would love to make a revised Redemption adapter available, as I am asked about them on a regular basis.

..Al

Back to the subject of this topic... Does anyone still offer the 5200 Redemption for sale? Or is there any chance that with enough interest the creator of that product might produce a few more? I've been searching for the Redemption all over the web and I keep finding people asking where they can find one. Obviously there is still a lot of interest in this product, hopefully enough to justify a new run.

We can all keep wishing...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to create a new product similar to the Wico Controller Y-Adapter? (only for use with 2600 controllers.)

I must admit that I don't know much about the technology used in the 5200 Redemption. I know from reading this forum that manufacturing the Redmetion was a costly, difficult and time consuming process.

That's why I'm curious about the Y-Adapter. I know the current Wico Y-Adapter can not be used with 2600 controllers. But would it be possible to create something like it that could be used with said controllers?