IGNORED

5200 Redemption *MUST* be re-issued!

eightbit

• 2 years later...

I must also agree that the 5200 redemption needs to be re-issued!!

I agree. The hard part is finding connectors that will fit in the 5200's connector ports, which have plastic around them that makes it difficult to use a standard DB-15 connector. And then you have to make cables or have cables made. The Redemptions had the individual wires soldered directly to the board, and I will NEVER do that again. I still have nightmares about that--using an edge connector would have been better, but then you would have had to wire the cable to the connector. A header would not have worked with that design, since we were using 5200 shells as the housing, and the header with the cable would have been far too tall.

I have to think about this.

..Al

• Like 4

I always kick myself for not buying the Sega Genesis redemption. I was using my Masterplay Interface. But the Genesis pad w/two buttons working would have been much better than trying to use a Genesis pad w/1 button, and the Masterplay's button-on-a-wire stuck to it (and falling off every minute).

Edited by Cafeman

I always kick myself for not buying the Sega Genesis redemption. I was using my Masterplay Interface. But the Genesis pad w/two buttons working would have been much better than trying to use a Genesis pad w/1 button, and the Masterplay's button-on-a-wire stuck to it (and falling off every minute).

Yeah, those were great. I still have a box of Redemption parts somewhere. I wonder what I would need to cobble one together. :)

..Al

I agree. The hard part is finding connectors that will fit in the 5200's connector ports, which have plastic around them that makes it difficult to use a standard DB-15 connector.

What about just male DB15 on the shell and people can buy Neo Geo extension cables?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNK-AES-MVS-Famicom-Neo-Geo-Controller-Gamepad-Joystick-Extension-Cable-6-Feet-/151329556996?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item233bf1ca04

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed mine. I kept putting off getting a second one, and one day they weren't being offered for sale any more. Oh well, you snooze, you lose.

I have the 2600/Genesis pad version. The only user side modification I would have suggested would have been a switch to allow the 5200 controller to work normally. I typically have mine hooked up with a track ball, so the ability to flip a switch to play the track ball games without unplugging stuff would have been a great convenience.

If they're ever sold again, I'll probably pick up one more.

The NeoGeo cables work well, at least with Grips03 NeoGeo arcade stick modded to work with the 5200.

I'd like a Redemption that worked with Jaguar controllers. And actually vice versa because it would be badass to use the 5200 TrakBall on the Jaguar or the STe/TT/Falcon. Just imagine ST Crystal Castles modded to recognize the 5200 TrakBall.

A Jag pad adapter to 5200 would be freakin sweet.

You can use a Jag pad on the 5200 with a masterplay type interface and the Best Electronics adapter.

I know it is not what you meant. The Jag pad is perfect as it has the exact right amount of buttons to be a fully functional controller on the 5200 if properly adapted.

Still with the best adapter you can use a Jag pad same as you'd use a VCS controller.

I guess if you have the Genesis or 7800 versions of the Redemption you're already better cause of two button support.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/review.htm

Edited by Official Ninja
  • Like 1

I agree. The hard part is finding connectors that will fit in the 5200's connector ports, which have plastic around them that makes it difficult to use a standard DB-15 connector. And then you have to make cables or have cables made. The Redemptions had the individual wires soldered directly to the board, and I will NEVER do that again. I still have nightmares about that--using an edge connector would have been better, but then you would have had to wire the cable to the connector. A header would not have worked with that design, since we were using 5200 shells as the housing, and the header with the cable would have been far too tall.

I have to think about this.

..Al

Um - yes please think hard and then take our money

Exactly - and regular DB15 cables aren't THAT hard to trim to fit.

Exactly - and regular DB15 cables aren't THAT hard to trim to fit.

If you can find DB15 cables without hoods, those are what you want to use. You'd still have to modify the other end of the cable, which takes time to do, and if the wires are not unique colors (and consistent between each cable), you also have to take the time to identify which pin each wire is. None of it is hard to do, it's just time consuming.

..Al

If you can find DB15 cables without hoods, those are what you want to use. You'd still have to modify the other end of the cable, which takes time to do, and if the wires are not unique colors (and consistent between each cable), you also have to take the time to identify which pin each wire is. None of it is hard to do, it's just time consuming.

..Al

Could it be sourced by a Chinese vendor? If so, what about going the Kickstarter route to raise funds?

..Al

I'm just envisioning a box that has a DB 15 pin output port that you sell me that handles the controller conversion. Then it is my job to basically get an extension cable that goes straight through. I've got such an adapter and the plain ole DB15 cables work fine if you remove the "hood" on the end that connects to the 5200. I interpreted your original comment about soldering individual wires to be the wires from the cable, so this is a way to avoid that and just give the user a port to plug into. However, I've never actually seen a pic of the Redemption, and I think I may have missed the point of that original post and what was actually difficult about the original build.

Here's a flyer for the Atari/Sega version:

attachicon.gifredemption 8x10.pdf

Here's an image of one plugged into a 5200:

attachicon.gifImage2.jpg

..Al

Nerd b0n3r

Yeah, so just give us an output port and make it our problem to connect it to the 5200. We'll get NeoGeo extension cables or cheap DB15 cables and make it work.

Nerd b0n3r

Yeah, so just give us an output port and make it our problem to connect it to the 5200. We'll get NeoGeo extension cables or cheap DB15 cables and make it work.

Well, I would not want to sell an "incomplete" version. However, if I could find suitable DB-15 cables to go between the Redemption and the 5200, I like the idea of having an external connector on the Redemption and using a standalone cable. This would let someone use a shorter or longer cable as well. The trick is finding a cable that would work with minimal (or even better, no) modifications. Also, I would use a different housing this time around, rather than using 5200 shells. While that was interesting, those shells are a pain in the neck to prepare even for homebrew games, and there were more steps involved in using them for the Redemption.

..Al

• Like 1

Here's a flyer for the Atari/Sega version:

attachicon.gifredemption 8x10.pdf

Here's an image of one plugged into a 5200:

attachicon.gifImage2.jpg

..Al

This would be awesome!

I think you'd be very surprised how many people would buy this at the $50 level.

The Atari 5200 has been out 30+ years and will easily be out 30+ more... getting these boxes out there in the hands of the users would be a great gift for the Atari community-- It's only going to get harder and harder to get Masterplays and the like,.

• Like 1