IGNORED

5200 Redemption *MUST* be re-issued!

eightbit

Would it be possible to create a new product similar to the Wico Controller Y-Adapter? (only for use with 2600 controllers.)

I must admit that I don't know much about the technology used in the 5200 Redemption. I know from reading this forum that manufacturing the Redmetion was a costly, difficult and time consuming process.

That's why I'm curious about the Y-Adapter. I know the current Wico Y-Adapter can not be used with 2600 controllers. But would it be possible to create something like it that could be used with said controllers?

converting the 2600 digital to the analog of the 5200 takes an active switching circuit

i'll try to speak in simple laymans terms

because the 5200 really uses 2 paddles one for uppy downy the other for lefty righty

the atari 2600 digital has a ground and that is where the switching circuit comes into play because the uppy downy needs to be kept away from the lefty righty

that being said if one were to open up a controller like say a red ball or bat wico 2600 controller you could physically disconnect the ground and isolate the left right from the up down and use resistors to approximate the analogness of left center right and up center down

you dont even need any more wires in the cord cause the 2600 uses 6 wires u,d,l,r,fire,ground and the 5200 needs x,y,potcommon,fire1,fire2,ground

ive tried to come up with a simple plan for people to follow but unfortunatly it involves soldering

but the parts list is so minimal

just a 15 pin f

15p m

9 pin m

2-240k resistors

2 330k resistors

a chunk of 8 conductor wire

but once you modify the stick it will obviously no longer work on a 2600 and the y cable you create will not work with any other joystick

pm me if you want a walkthrough/wire diagram

• Like 1

The redemption modules rock on the 5200.

The 5200 has some good quality arcade games, but just needed a good controller. Those modules make that possible.

So is this ever going to be offered again or just wishful thinking? Seems like enough people want them.

maybe 20 people

its a fine line its price vs demand

i think plans are out there for it and if you dont use a pac man shell it could be fairly cheap maybe down to $30 a person probably could fit the circuit in a large plug body the trick is making a plug that will fit and stick in everybodys 5200 without looking like hobbykit garbage

• Like 1

So is this ever going to be offered again or just wishful thinking? Seems like enough people want them.

I totally agree. I have been searching for them all over the web. There seems to be a lot of pent-up demand. And 3rd party 5200 controllers are scarce and expensive.

its a fine line its price vs demand

What about creating a pre-order interest topic? Not saying that the product is going to be made, but just to see how many people would buy one.

I know one drawback to this idea that some people will say they're interested but then back out later when the final product arrives. (I saw someone mention this problem in the 7800 expansion unit topic.) Maybe a way to get around this problem is to ask for a $5 pre-order deposit?

Honestly, I'm just thinking outloud here. If someone did seriously decide to bring back the 5200 redemption I would do everything I could to promote the event.

• 1 month later...

I think someone should commission a mass knock-off of the wico y-cable. Then you could make all kinds of adapters using just a standard 9-pin connector and the 15-pin connector could be used for the original controller or some kinda custom keypad. The digital to analog adapter could be the size of 9-pin gender changer if done right.

• Like 1

I think someone should commission a mass knock-off of the wico y-cable. Then you could make all kinds of adapters using just a standard 9-pin connector and the 15-pin connector could be used for the original controller or some kinda custom keypad. The digital to analog adapter could be the size of 9-pin gender changer if done right.

By the way Prodos8, your Masterplay-clone is the slickest gadget since the original MP-Interface, and still going strong! Luckily I have a few wico y-cables to work with. A 'knock-off' y-cable would certainly open up the market for yours and other potential 5200 controller adapters.

By the way Prodos8, your Masterplay-clone is the slickest gadget since the original MP-Interface, and still going strong! Luckily I have a few wico y-cables to work with. A 'knock-off' y-cable would certainly open up the market for yours and other potential 5200 controller adapters.

it would be cool if there was just a bunch of replacement tracball cords

it would be cool if there was just a bunch of replacement tracball cords

There was a place online selling them at one time - new old stock replacement trakball cords. But I can't seem to find it anymore. Those would work very well since they have all 15-wire in them. Too bad the controller wires don't have the +5v line hooked up.

@atariron82 - glad yours is still working. I have two I use on my system that I built back in '07 and they are going strong. I still have two I built but never sold - no one wanted them I guess. The circuit I used in those was designed by someone named Jay Tilton. I found the instructions for it online a few years ago.

Too bad that there isn't a way to just create a new and better 5200 controller from currently available parts from electronic stores.

well you kind of can if you have a well stocked electronic store

i made this DCP_7549.jpg

DCP_7551.jpg

DCP_7586.jpg

basically some wire a couple 500k potentiometers a happ joysitck some arcade type buttons

a couple plugs and a case

oh yea and a 2600 touchpad

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those of you who still want a redemption adapter might I suggest a PC controller adapter instead?

It doesn't look like the 5200 Redemption will ever see the light of day again, even though there is a ton of built up demand. So I settled for the next best thing. I bought a 15 Pin PC controller adapter from a user on this forum. Let me just say this, ITS AMAZING! I'm using a standard "original playstation" style control pad (no analog sticks). Its perfect for many games, including Pitfall and Pac-Man. I feel these two games suffer the most when using the standard 5200 pad, playing with this adapter is like night and day.

The whole investment cost me around $20. It was the best money I have ever spent on my 5200 collection.

For those of you who still want a redemption adapter might I suggest a PC controller adapter instead?

It doesn't look like the 5200 Redemption will ever see the light of day again, even though there is a ton of built up demand. So I settled for the next best thing. I bought a 15 Pin PC controller adapter from a user on this forum. Let me just say this, ITS AMAZING! I'm using a standard "original playstation" style control pad (no analog sticks). Its perfect for many games, including Pitfall and Pac-Man. I feel these two games suffer the most when using the standard 5200 pad, playing with this adapter is like night and day.

The whole investment cost me around $20. It was the best money I have ever spent on my 5200 collection.

What is a pc controller adapter? Do you buy or make? thanks.

Send a PM to Bohoki. He makes a stellar product.

• Like 1

Send a PM to Bohoki. He makes a stellar product.

Sorry but not familar with this. Any pictures?

Too bad that there isn't a way to just create a new and better 5200 controller from currently available parts from electronic stores.

well you kind of can if you have a well stocked electronic store

i made this DCP_7549.jpg

DCP_7551.jpg

DCP_7586.jpg

basically some wire a couple 500k potentiometers a happ joysitck some arcade type buttons

a couple plugs and a case

oh yea and a 2600 touchpad

Sorry I forgot to say on the last post that this controller or one like this would be awesome to be able to buy @ the AA store vs the redemption. Though I don't know if this controller would be harder/more costly than the redemption was to make. Very nice controller though.

Edited by shaky

i am willing to sell that unit for $75 including the touchpad but nobody has any money it has a lot of parts and labor in it

i was selling the adapters as a favor to the community for $10 shipped and trust me i wasn't making any money off it but now i know there are people out there that can play their system with a variety of pc controllers

i really should have numbered them i think i was up to about 43 of them out in the wild now all over the country every one is pretty much one off andcrafted

• 4 months later...