IGNORED

5200 Redemption *MUST* be re-issued!

eightbit

I've handwired a couple of Masterplay clones using Low_Budget's circuit design that he posted here on AtariAge. Since I sold both of those I decided to have some pcb's printed up to make the process easier. Here's a few that I put together using the printed pcb's. If there is enough interest I could build ten or so of them. They work great and it's really handy having the keypad right there without the need for a stock 5200 controller.

Hi, I am interested in 4. Let me know I really want to love my 5200 again.

I've handwired a couple of Masterplay clones using Low_Budget's circuit design that he posted here on AtariAge. Since I sold both of those I decided to have some pcb's printed up to make the process easier. Here's a few that I put together using the printed pcb's. If there is enough interest I could build ten or so of them. They work great and it's really handy having the keypad right there without the need for a stock 5200 controller.

I was most fortunate to be given the opportunity to purchase the blue button unit shown back on page 6 (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/166968-5200-redemption-must-be-re-issued/page-6) and all I can say is: WOW! Although I don't 'mind' the 5200 controllers, the reality is that for most games, they tend to detract from the gameplay for me. Being able to use a standard digital joystick for games where an analog controller isn't necessary is a godsend. In all honesty, I had boxed up my 5200 and stored it in the closet as I hadn't been using it much recently but this device promptly reinstated my 5200 back into service and regular use. Having the keyboard without having to dangle off a 5200 controller is great. Needless to say, I strongly recommend getting one of these when more of them become available! A million thanks to Atariguy1021 for allowing me to grab one of these early!

I would be in for one of these .

I was most fortunate to be given the opportunity to purchase the blue button unit shown back on page 6 (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/166968-5200-redemption-must-be-re-issued/page-6) and all I can say is: WOW! Although I don't 'mind' the 5200 controllers, the reality is that for most games, they tend to detract from the gameplay for me. Being able to use a standard digital joystick for games where an analog controller isn't necessary is a godsend. In all honesty, I had boxed up my 5200 and stored it in the closet as I hadn't been using it much recently but this device promptly reinstated my 5200 back into service and regular use. Having the keyboard without having to dangle off a 5200 controller is great. Needless to say, I strongly recommend getting one of these when more of them become available! A million thanks to Atariguy1021 for allowing me to grab one of these early!

Thanks, glad you're happy with it!

Glad to hear how great it is as I ordered the silver knob version and its in the mail. Now that I've read your post I cant wait for mine to arrive. I actually already ordered a second one.

Thanks, glad you're happy with it!

can you try Defender and let me know if the ship switches direction when you don't want it too. My design using dg413 did this. I did not use any pots for my design though.

can you try Defender and let me know if the ship switches direction when you don't want it too. My design using dg413 did this. I did not use any pots for my design though.

Defender's good. Just played a few games.

Edit: It seems to benefit from a little joystick smashing at first to get calibrated. Same thing with Ms. Pac-Man.

Edited by atariguy1021

Tried Defender and can confirm that it works fine. For any game where there may be any horizontal/vertical shifting of the player, the pots easily allow zeroing/centering.

To help support a reproduction or remake of the 5200 Redemption I am willing to buy 4.

I think people who really want this to happen, if they can must dig deep down into their pockets and support this initiative.

We can't expect those who would go through all the hard work to produce these to do it unless they have a decent budget to work from.

Right now I am willing to pay about $100 per adapter. Why because I really want one and I really want this to happen.

The one thing I really don't like about collecting homebrew (games/adapters/devices) is when someone comes out with a great game or device and for whatever reason decides, that's it no more can be made.

It really sucks for people like me and others who have joined the Atari retro scene late.

Edited by Protestari
  • Like 1

For those who may be interested, here are some of my results with different controllers

I've tried a standard 2600 joystick and an Epyx 500XJ joystick and they work great (no second button obviously)

For Sega controllers, I have 4 different kinds I was able to try. I don't know their actual 'Sega names' but my results were as follows:

1) 3 button Controller, A-B-C Red Lettering, Letters on Buttons, "Trigger" word across top of 3 buttons - Didn't seem to work. Not sure If I just have a couple of bad ones or not.

2) 3 Button Controller, A-B-C printed in grey along top buttons, letters also on buttons have no extra color/paint for lettering (or mine has faded), "Trigger" word along the bottom of the buttons - Works great, B-C buttons 'seem' to be the 2 different buttons from a 5200 joystick

3) 6 Button controller, controller seems smallish, 3 grey buttons along top of the 3 A-B-C buttons - Works like #2 above

4) Quickshot For Professional Players, Model QS-162, Maverick 3 (http://segaretro.org/Maverick_3) - Works great like #2 above

I PMed Albert a few weeks ago saying I'd be interested in doing a minor redesign and re-release of the 5200 Redemption, but have yet to hear back. I don't want to step on any toes by releasing effectively the same thing with the same name (5200 RedemptionII ?). Or, by releasing the same thing with a different name.

With his permission (and maybe a schematic), I could probably have a batch done by christmas, then I could have it as a regularly stocked item after that. No kickstarter required :grin:

My very rough price figures put it in the $75-90 range.

• Like 2

I PMed Albert a few weeks ago saying I'd be interested in doing a minor redesign and re-release of the 5200 Redemption, but have yet to hear back. I don't want to step on any toes by releasing effectively the same thing with the same name (5200 RedemptionII ?). Or, by releasing the same thing with a different name.

With his permission (and maybe a schematic), I could probably have a batch done by christmas, then I could have it as a regularly stocked item after that. No kickstarter required :grin:

My very rough price figures put it in the $75-90 range.

Very interested. Keep us updated.

Sorry, I completely missed your PM. I just went back and responded to it.

..Al

Built three more over the weekend, all of these units are spoken for. I've decided to go ahead and build a run of these. I'll have 12 additional units for sale hopefully by the end of the month, currently waiting on more keypads. I've settled on a price of $85 shipped in the continental US for AtariAge users. If you would like me to put you down for one send me a PM, no payment required until I'm ready to ship. If there's insufficient interest by way of this thread, I will put them up for sale in the Marketplace and Ebay once I have them all ready to go.

post-26765-0-88452200-1413247133_thumb.jpg post-26765-0-89198900-1413247146_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi, Just wanted to give some feedback so far on atariguy1021's Masterplay clones. I have purchased two of the clones and as I just recently started collecting for the 5200 these are the games I have tried so far.

I started with Berzerk. The clones were very easy to calibrate once done the Sega Gen 3 button Controller works great.

Did not have to do any more calibration, Pac-Man and Joust worked fine.

So if your a fan of the Sega Gen 3 button Controller and want to play games on your 5200 that work best with a digital controller get this clone now.

As I said I have purchased 2 so far and intend to get 2 more.

I will test more games as I buy them and let you know how they work with the clone and the Sega Gen 3 button Controller.

I think its important to support our members initiatives.

Until there is a better solution available I am very happy with my purchase.

Edited by Protestari

Built three more over the weekend, all of these units are spoken for. I've decided to go ahead and build a run of these. I'll have 12 additional units for sale hopefully by the end of the month, currently waiting on more keypads. I've settled on a price of $85 shipped in the continental US for AtariAge users. If you would like me to put you down for one send me a PM, no payment required until I'm ready to ship. If there's insufficient interest by way of this thread, I will put them up for sale in the Marketplace and Ebay once I have them all ready to go.

attachicon.gifIMG_0858 (640x437).jpg attachicon.gifIMG_0839 (640x479).jpg

I purchased one of low_budget's original units and it is great. I use it most often with my battlestation II. I also have a masterplay and am able to use both sticks of the battlestaion II for robotron. It looks as though you have made some improvments to the original design. If I didn't already have one I'd buy one of yours.

I also have one of low_budgets original masterplay clones with black box and white keypad. But I can't figure out how to adjust the V and H. It always great at fisrt but is out of alignment now and I can't get it right no matter what direction I put them. Pacman is all goofed up now. Wont go one direction and goes another direction than I asked.

Does anyone remember how the V and H was supposed to be? Both UP or Horizontal? Or another direction? I can't figure it out.

I also have one of low_budgets original masterplay clones with black box and white keypad. But I can't figure out how to adjust the V and H. It always great at fisrt but is out of alignment now and I can't get it right no matter what direction I put them. Pacman is all goofed up now. Wont go one direction and goes another direction than I asked.

Does anyone remember how the V and H was supposed to be? Both UP or Horizontal? Or another direction? I can't figure it out.

mine has two holes in the side with flat head screws inside for the adjustments

mine has two holes in the side with flat head screws inside for the adjustments

I know that, mine has the 2 screws also. In the second post here first reply you can see my photos. There are 2 holes and he blue V nad H you can see it. Its just like yours.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/192363-masterplay-clone/

What I'm not sure is what direction to adjust the screws? How to keep it? "-" or "|"? Or something else?

Edited by 0078265317

What I'm not sure is what direction to adjust the screws? How to keep it? "-" or "|"? Or something else?

I don't have one of the units that low_budget built, but I'll walk you through how I adjust the ones that I build. I tried to make the adjustment as intuitive as possible on mine with vertical adjustment on the left (CCW is up, CW is down) and horizontal adjustment on the right (CCW is left, CW is right). I don't know which pot is which on yours nor do I know which way to rotate to get the desired result. Fire up a cart and fiddle with the screws to figure out which is the horizontal and vertical adjustment, also make note of which direction (CW or CCW) yields an up or down, left or right adjustment

I recommend using a game like Berzerk to calibrate. A game where you can move the character in all four directions without having to press any buttons is ideal, don't use a game like Pac-Man which moves regardless of whether or not you're pushing on the joystick. . Simply adjust the pots until the character, the stick man in Berzerk, doesn't move on its own. If he goes to the right without pressing the joystick, adjust the horizontal dial to the left direction until he stops. If he goes up without pressing the joystick, adjust the vertical dial in the down direction until he stops. Once you find that sweet spot where the character doesn't move you're good to go, usually only requiring a minor adjustment on occasion with different games.

I think I got it. Its mostly horizontal both pots. I have pics here so you can what it looks like.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/192363-masterplay-clone/

Anyhow good idea atariguy1021, but I don't have bezerk to test. It is also kinda expensive on ebay. But these are the ones I do have.

2 qbert. 1 messed one and one good.

frogger

missle command

kangaroo

2 super breakout

2 galaxian

jungle hunt

centipede

pacman

pole position

star raiders

digdug