IGNORED

New mouse project!

ggn

Hello,

Me and a few friends are thinking about initiating a project to make a batch of mice for the ST, Amiga and Jaguar.

But instead of making an adapter and selling it, we thought we'd simplify things a bit: What we are planning to do is to buy a batch of PS/2 optical mice, removing the PS/2 cord, inserting the adapter logic inside the mouse, and installing a standard 9-pin cord. In our opinion, this makes for a neater solution than having 2-3 adapters in order to get to the computer's port.

The mice we're thinking of using are Logitech optical PS/2 like these:

(image disabled - I'm not allowed to use pics on this board, from what it tells me! Just see http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!BrHnplQB2k~$(KGrHqEOKjsEuZcfpNpUBLyWQERkPg~~_35.GIF :))

(the actual model is subject to change, it will depend on the actual quantity we will want to buy and also the source).

The design we're going to use is this (thanks Groovybee!), but with the difference of using a better firmware, which gives smoother movement. If you're aware of this design, you'll know that there is a way to have a selector switch for ST/Amiga, but we decided that in order to keep things as simple as possible, we'll hardwire either one or the other. Also, since an ST mouse can be wired to be used for the Jaguar, we can also make mice with a 15 D-SUB end, ready to be plugged in.

What we'd like from people would be initially to see if there's interest in this. We'd like you to just express your interest and how many devices you would like. This is because we cannot estimate the price (it will depend on a few factors). But we would like to gauge interest in this.

After a couple of weeks, we'll count the number of devices people would be willing to buy and announce the price (we hope to keep it low, we're not in it for the money).

So that's what this is all about. Any people interested? Please reply below stating how many devices you would like and of what type (ST/Amiga/Jaguar). Also, feel free to ask questions, we'll be more than happy to reply!

Edited by ggn
  • Like 2

If memory serves me, Techie Alison offered (and still offers?) practically same thing.

There are some pics on Atari forum, with MS mouses modded ...

But this is inside the mouse.... I have a PEST on my MSTE and it's damn ugly!!

Much prefer a slinky unraped mouse.

Grz

Edited by Grazey

I think my peST is an old one in need of an update... every few minutes it goes bonkers so I have to jump to keyboard control. It usually rights itself shortly afterwards but as it is now it totally kills any creativity as you lose your train of thought or the flow of what you're doing.

Err, anyway, I think I posted over at the dbug forum, I want 2 ST ones & a Jaguar one as long as the Jaguar one can work with Matthias' stuff.

just my 2 cents...

Amiga/ST switch would be a plus and probably lower overall costs of making them since a single model would fit both systems. i don´t have an amiga and don´t plan to, so this is really an impartial opinion as it can be... :)

Also, would it not be possible to have 9 pin and 15 pin conectors and the end or a 9-to-15 pin adapter (there are ones that are really thin and it´s almost like it´s not there)?

this way a single mouse would fit all, really... i have a Jaguar and STe and though it would not stop me from getting a mouse to each (depending on price), it would be nice to know that the day one died, i still had another one to cover...

i will follow this topic...