IGNORED

Today's Games Reminagined as 8- and 16-Bit

That article makes no sense. Sure graphics aren't everything but 2d top-down racing games generally suck. An 8 bit Mirror's Edge would just be missing the whole point of it being in 3d. Any modern FPS turned 8 bit would be ass and Guitar Hero would be very limited. I do agree though that basically any turn based RPG minus graphics would be the same damn game.

Edited by STICH666

That article makes no sense. Sure graphics aren't everything but 2d top-down racing games generally suck. An 8 bit Mirror's Edge would just be missing the whole point of it being in 3d. Any modern FPS turned 8 bit would be ass and Guitar Hero would be very limited. I do agree though that basically any turn based RPG minus graphics would be the same damn game.

the article makes perfect sense to me. Many of those games looked like tons of fun, and as they likely would have appeared 15+ years ago.

Really it'd be hard for me to disagree more with that post. Especially about top-down racing games sucking.

Edited by Reaperman

Meh I guess to each his own. If this is saying that games would have been better as 8 or 16 bit then I completely disagree but if this is saying how they would have looked like if they were released back then, then that's pretty cool. I do want that Super Smash Bros.

Halo certainly made a good transition from modern to old 8 bit. Most shooters would probably go the top down rout.

I agree that many top down racers sucked, but that was useually to fast, to big a charaterds, and uninspired gameplay fault, not that that type of game can't be fun. RCproam was awesome, so was Micromachines. And some of the monster truck games showd the whole playfield at once and were mostly cool.

actually I was thinking about it, and it wasn't too long ago these kinds of transitions happened.

here's star wars episode 1 racer n64 and gbc

thumbnailp.jpgthumbnail2p.jpg

Yep, And they would release the actual 8/16 bit versions of games while 32/64 bits were hitting consoles, Duke Nukem comes to mind. Side scrolling would be good for shooters too.

Then there's modern games with old playstile. Like the Star Trek games that are top down and remind me a lot of things like sinistar...with modern graphics.

Since the GBA died though, it's not likely to find many old school 2d games now. Not that they cant' be done, New Super Mario DS, and Geomatry wars proved that....

2d top-down racing games generally suck.

Seems many people disagree, or it wouldn't have been so succesful a genre (and - at least on portable consoles - it still is, if I'm not mistaken) - even long after the "invention" of cockpit or "chase cam" view

Edited by Herbarius

That Smash Bros. would have been lookign better had it been given a Streets of Rage 2 or Golden Axe 2 treatment; Guitar Hero has already been done on a released platform in Brazil afaik, called Guitar Idol (but it's expensive to import and needs to be tweaked/odded for US tv sets).

Liking this, I love the 8 and 16 bit platforms.

I've always wondered why Nintendo doesn't do a 2D Smash Bros like that for the DS/DSi. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

It's not like the console game actually uses 3 dimensions in any meaningful way.

Most likely because it's easier to animate 3D characters and they already had a suite of rendered 3D characters that they could just plop in. I think that's why I appreciate pixel artwork and animation better than 3D stuff. In 3D, all you have to do is render a character once. Animation is simply a matter of telling an arm to go from point 'A' to point 'B'. The 3D engine takes care of the in-between stuff. With pixel art, each face of an animation has to be explicitly drawn. As much as I like New Super Mario Bros, I would much rather have seen the characters and environments drawn as pixel art rather than 3D on a 2D plane.

I may be jaded or I may just be old-school when it comes to this stuff but I am not impressed with 3D-rendered characters. The Starcraft II trailer did nothing for me. I'm the same way with movies. The new Star Wars movies feel disposable to me because most of the sets exist on hard drives. I had zero desire to see the new Clash of the Titans yet I would love to see the original next time I get a chance.

2d top-down racing games generally suck.

Seems many people disagree, or it wouldn't have been so succesful a genre (and - at least on portable consoles - it still is, if I'm not mistaken) - even long after the "invention" of cockpit or "chase cam" view

Heh. I love RC Pro-am for the NES and GB. Course, that's more an isometric view.