IGNORED

Atari 2600 Hardware Mod for remote console switches

Pioneer4x4

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't mucked with it for a while, it is ready to solder in, but got side tracked. I had to clean up my work area in the basement last week when we lost power for 2 days. I spent some of last week and most of last weekend wiring up a transfer panel for my generator. That was a lot of work and very interesting/rewarding. If anyone has a generator, and the spare cash, it is worth the $300 or so to have it hard wired safely into the house, intstead of running extension cords everywhere.

Anyway, which 2600 should I wire it into, my Vader or the JR? Which one is more in need of better controls? (Assuming the JR has room) I was going to put it in the Vader, but I like how the JR fits in a shoe box with controller and harmony, one box gaming.

I say the Vader so I'll know how it will fit in my 4-switcher, lol.

LOL, That was my original intention anyway, since it is the most modern looking of the original style. I even kicked around putting it in a 7800 and it might make it so the pause button works as a color/bw for 2600 games. THAT would be a real use, get the best of all worlds. I wish I had a dupe console, but I have 1 of each Atari only.

heavy 6

light 6

light 4

vader 4

jr

I'm also putting the pause kit in, and WOW is it small!

• 2 months later...

OK, I haven't done anything since getting the circuit working and instead of soldering everything to a board I finally ordered some sockets for the pic chip. Does anyone know what a good easy to use circuit layout program would be? And how much are getting actual circuit boards printed and drilled? I have tried doing it myself in the past and sucked at it.

• 1 month later...

Effing sockets FINALLY arrived on WED, will break out the soldering iron this weekend while waiting for the Steelers to hopefully win on Sunday!

Assuming this deal works, I would like to make actual boards if they aren't a gazillion $ each. Can someone steer me in a good direction? I tend to do circuits like a program, in my head and change as I go, no pre drawings. SO I really don't have a good starting point to make a nice looking layout.

• 1 month later...

Guess what, finally an update. I soldered it all together based on my horrible memory, and after hours I got it working again. I have it running off of the 2600's 5v, and it can be reprogrammed in circuit, actually reprogrammed while in a game! The keypad detection and routines seem to work %100, but the joystick/Track and Field controllers are detecting OK, but only the fire button is being read correctly. I know it has something to do with the ports for controller pins 1-4 being set as output during initialazation, but wanting to be used as input for stick directions. I am fairly sure that it is all software to work out, and I am actually enjoying that part.

I REALLY should have made a diagram of my circuit. My solder PCB was not the same layout as the solderless breadboard I worked it out on and I made several mistakes transferring it.

This is how the button assignments are now, they can be changed easily just by reprogramming.

post-25375-12999913554_thumb.jpg

But as of now, it is soldered in to a Vader's board and using 5 buttons on a keyboard controller (any of the 12 button jobs work) I can play Phasor Patrol with this as an additional controller.

post-25375-129999139174_thumb.jpg

The only things left are

1) Install pause kit and trigger it with circuit.

2) Install latching relay for main power and trigger it with circuit. (I will also need to add a 5v voltage regulator to power circuit seperately) This will enable "rebooting" of the 2600 from the keypad, mainly for use with the AMAZING Harmony cart.

3) Work out bug with Joystick controller.

4) Mount everything in actual console.

5) Make a real schematic and layout a REAL PCB.

I'd post pictures, but it is just a board with a 28 pin chip, a couple resistors, and a mass of wires. 9 going to controller port, 3 going to serial port, 7 going to 2600 main board so far.

And a video is kinda usless since it doesn't do anything that flipping switches on the 2600 doesn't already do. I'll make a video once it can pause, and reboot the Harmony.

Ideally I want to put this in a Jr, since they are so nice except for the sucky switches and buttons which will no longer be needed, but I don't think it will fit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Very cool mod! I'd definitely be interested in something like this for my set-up. Being able to control those functions from across my living room would be awesome. Not to mention the fact that it'd make accessing the map screen and baiting the Marshmallow Man in Ghostbusters way easier (both being accessed by the difficulty switches)!

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on the site for about 2 months, mainly too busy and kinda forgot about it as a daily check, and this is the first place I went. Glad to see there is some interest. I have acquired a couple new games recently, so maybe i'll get back into it, soon.