IGNORED

Funcoland no longer sucks, EBgames descends into game ghetto

Flojomojo

Let me first say that I've been buying a lot of games used at a record store, online, or at (ptui) Best Buy.

I live in a major metropolitan area, with lots of mall stores like EB. When I went looking for Activision Anthology and Dragon's Lair 3D the other day, I assumed that EB would have lots of copies of both of these. Not only has the store become even more dingy and depressing than before (amazing in its own right), it's impossible to find anything in the mess. As it turns out, their computer showed both of these games "in shipping."

I took a chance on Funcoland after reading here that someone snagged A. Anth. at that store. I know it's under new management, but I still have the vestigial dread of the place from the old days: clueless clerks, unsupervised rugrats, boxes on the wall that had no relation to whether a game was actually in stock.

Now, they have lots of stock, and it's all clearly marked and displayed. I couldn't believe how much better this store has gotten, and how EB has really slid downhill.

At least neither store is no longer the Pokemon HQ they once were.

Would you believe I actually miss the randomness that once was Funcoland??? I think ever since they changed over to Gamestops and are now owned by Barnes & Noble or something like that, they have lost their charm.

Of course, I've been a Funco shopper ever since they were a regional chain almost exclusively in the Twin Cities area...

I haven't been in a Funco now in about 8 months...it has lost its magic...

EB on the other hand, in Columbus at least, are very very nice stores...a little on the cluttered side, but nice nonetheless.

I still prefer the smaller chain stores, especially for new releases, you are going to pay $50 regardless of where you buy the game, may as well support the small guys!!

In the North Carolina area Best Buy is actually the best place to get games, provided you want them on the exact day of release. You just do not shake a stick at a 20$ Metroid Fusion.

EB over here is way overpriced on most of their used stuff (Some games costing as much as new at the store besides it) though Funcoland can actually have some nice things, if you're looking for non-mainstream stuff. Dreamcast, NES carts, etc. I digress, it truly depends on the regional management.

I used to like Electronic Boutique back when the Atari ST was popular. They used to have some original games that came from Europe (at least the EB that I used to go to did). There is one at the local mall that I go to from time to time but it is not the same. It is a good place to buy some used PS games but that is usually all I buy from them.

I called Funcoland looking for Mario Party 2 for the N64....

OK first of all... MARIO PARTY!

Second of all, N64!

Thrid of all, USED!!!

They wanted $35 for it...

Whatever!!! I hate funcoland.  I found it used at Software Etc for $9.99 the same day.

It's all a gamble really. I bought 4 Sega Genesis games at a Funco for $5-$7 each that the Gamers would charge $15-$20 for (CIB). I bought several SMS games at Gamers for $3-$6 each that would go for $15-$20 on eBay. On eBay I got a CIB Tengen Tetris for $25, at Gamers it goes for $85 loose. At EB I bought Sonic 2 for DC brand new for $19.99, which goes for $30+ EVERYWHERE else (eBay, Funco, Gamers). It all comes down to saavy shopping. I wanted a Kirby's Block Ball for GB, but Gamers had it for $19 + tax. I waited and eventually found one at a Software Etc for $12, and with my Funco/GameStop/SE discount card got 10% off of THAT. :D

i second that. the guys at EBX are more than happy to help you with anything, you can ask them about games that your thinking of buying ,or just have a conversation with them. you don't get that sort of treatment at gamestop

Yep,the guys that work there are so cool.And they know what they are talking about.

If you ask a guy at one of these places what have you heard about (insert game title here),here is what they would say:

EBX:Well,I have heard mixed reviews,but I played it last night and it was cool.If you like these kind of games,you'll love it.

GameStop:What?Why don't you go look on the inernet.And buy something or leave.

That is the EBX difference,Patent pending. :D :sad: :roll:

Maybe they were thinking..hmm....how much do you think we can charge for this game and get away with it? They know it is valued lower but if someone wants to buy it a higher price, great for them.

They would be better off at keeping their prices lower and getting more sales than trying to maximize each and every sale. No wonder people prefer EB instead.

I don't like Funcoland, and I don't think there even is an EB near me. My favorite used gaming place is a place called Record Exchange. You can sometimes get good finds there. Since it's more of a CD exchange place, they don't overprice the games(since that's not where most of their profit comes from). Most of their NES games are like $2.99(better than gamestop at least) and they have some good deals on used game systems too.

I don't like Funcoland, and I don't think there even is an EB near me.  My favorite used gaming place is a place called Record Exchange.  You can sometimes get good finds there.  Since it's more of a CD exchange place, they don't overprice the games(since that's not where most of their profit comes from).  Most of their NES games are like $2.99(better than gamestop at least) and they have some good deals on used game systems too.
YES YES YES. We have the Record Exchange here as well -- same chain as yours. I hardly ever go to the "real" software stores now, since everything shows up at half off a few weeks after release.