IGNORED

SPECTRA2 development thread

retroclouds

Where is the latest source / documentation posted? I can't find anything in the thread, but then again it would not be the first time I missed something right in front of me...

It isn't available yet. I sent the document to Owen only so that he could review it for me.

If you are interested I can send you the latest version via a PM. I'm still working on the official release.

Nothing major though (putting Owens changes in, adding a table of contents, etc).

Filip--- if you'd like, I would be happy to finish the documentation--- I got started but never finished... I think I covered about a third of the text in my first crack at it.... I've been very busy lately, I've really only had about a week worth of good "home" time in the last month and I've been really focused on putting some miles behind me with Beryl. :)

BTW, in reading through your documents while editing, I noticed that your organization is quite easy to follow and I very much like your included source. It makes all the difference in the world when trying to understand abstract concepts. Great read. :)

• 1 year later...

Any word on the work for getting this to work with gcc?

Guess that won't happen. I took a look at doing that over a year ago. Binding it to gcc would require a lot of context switching, due to the way spectra2 handles parameter passing.

To be honest nothing much has happened in the last year. I do have a minor updated version that handles RLE compression (used that for Tutankham) and has some enhanced routines, but no documentation at this time.

From time to time I have been thinking about implementing some kind of "high-level" language that outputs assembly language and using spectra2 as its underlying runtime.

This would allow you to write high-level and still being able to run the final program as a cartrdige (no memory expansion required). Just ideas at this stage though....

Edited by retroclouds

• 2 years later...

Is there any way to increase the speed of the sound list player beyond the 1/60th second per line? I have some sound effects that would need at least double-speed to replicate the sound of the arcade. Otherwise, I get to figure out how to trim down and truncate the effect.

Is there any way to increase the speed of the sound list player beyond the 1/60th second per line? I have some sound effects that would need at least double-speed to replicate the sound of the arcade. Otherwise, I get to figure out how to trim down and truncate the effect.

You could probably run the sound player manually from the "user hook" (See documentation for details). Dunno if you would able to get it to run on a stable interval. Guest that would need some testing.

I've got an idea, but will be opening an own thread for that ;-)

• Like 1