IGNORED

My TG-16 reeks of heavy purfume

Koopa64

Does anybody know of a good way to get rid of excess smell? When I first got this TG-16 the purfume made me gag it was that heavy. A long wipedown with rubbing alcohol lessened it, but it wasn't enough. I know this might sound dumb, but would some Febreze and maybe afterwords some more rubbing alcohol more or less eliminate it? Febreze is good with smells from my experience, but I never tried it on plastic.

Honestly, it will just wear off over time. Some of it is embedded in the pores of the plastic. You can wipe the surface off with alcohol, but more of the perfume will come out of the plastic and up to the surface. If it bothers you that much, you can completely disassemble the console and wash the shell with warm water and dish soap. That would help more than an alcohol wipedown will. Other than that, it's just going to take time but it will eventually stop stinking.

Chris

Well you have a point there, these days I don't smell the perfume if the unit near me, just if I purposely smell it. It still bothers me though, because I really dislike that kind of perfume. Me personally, I'd compare this perfume to cigarette smoke, except I'd probably take the smoke instead. Yuck!

Well this is reassuring. I just pulled my TG-16 out from underneath my Atari 7800 after it being there for months and the perfume smell is completely gone! The Turbo just smells like old plastic now (The 7800 must have played a part in that somehow, it has always had a great, vintage smell to it). Thanks for the stink removal suggestions guys, I will definitely try them next time I come across a console that needs cleaning. :D

Scented Garbage bag and a ton of crumpled up news paper. Seal it up for a couple of days. This also gets rid of Smoke smell. :)

This idea works on almost anything, although I usually also put a little box of baking soda in there also.....Morgan

Hmmm I will have to try that next time. :)

Not a helpful post, but something this reminded me of:

About ten years ago I brought my pc to a friends house. He had one of the wall air fresheners so I plugged it in to my power strip. I ended up staying the night and when I was about to leave, noticed the air freshener had sprayed some on the surge itself. Ten years later, the smell is still there since it melted to the power strip.

The way I have taken out those type of odors is placing the item in a plastic box with lid. Putting a box of baking soda in there with the item for a couple of weeks, depends on how strong the smell. Then I put an opened "renuzit" room air freshner in the box for another week. I have removed cigarette smoke, that I find offensive, from things that way.

If it bothers you that much, you can completely disassemble the console and wash the shell with warm water and dish soap.

I used to always do this with all of my second-hand consoles -- it removs nasty odours, accumuulated filth, and whatever else the console has been in contact with prior to its arrival in your home.

Scented Garbage bag and a ton of crumpled up news paper. Seal it up for a couple of days. This also gets rid of Smoke smell. :)

I'll have to try this method. I just received a game in the mail that reeks of cigarettes. Ten seconds out of the bubble mailer and it had stanked the whole room up. I had to immediately isolate it in a ziploc bag.

Another somewhat unrelated post:

As many of us did, I collected Star Wars action figures when the original trilogy was released. One of my figures was the AT-AT Commander (Veers.) Well, to this day he smells of strawberries and I'm convinced that the plastic used to create him was mixed from the same plastic that created the Strawberry Shortcake character (they were both made by Kenner.) :ponder: