IGNORED

intSDX: Replaces OS or Basic Chip?

Dropcheck

While I don't have an internal SpartaDOS-X it doesn't replace either the OS or BASIC chips from what I have read. The intSDX upgrade just ties into the signals used by both, plus additional signals, and operates basically the same as an external SDX cartridge of the same release would. The intSDX upgrade also retains the pass-through feature of the original SDX cartridge on the cartridge slot.

This upgrade makes the newer SpartaDOS-X releases available to those who don't have, or are unwilling to modify, an original SDX cartridge. The benefits are that the size of the ROM has been doubled to allow updating/adding features, the flash version also allows for easy updating when desired.

This website, in addition to the internal upgrade, also gives instructions on modifying/building standalone SDX cartridges, unfortunately only in polish, as well as image files for flashing into either of the Atarimax Maxflash cartridges. The Maxflash cartridges, and any other standalone SDX cartridge without a pass-through connector, would be unable to be used with another cartridge.

Bill

That cleared up some hazziness. Thanks!

I'm thinking about how I can streamline the connections. Seems like there are all those address and data lines that are just begging to be connected to a header on a pcb that can be dropped into either the OS or Antic sockets. That site seems to indicate the address lines need to come from the Antic chip, but couldn't they also come from the OS socket? :?

I'm thinking about how I can streamline the connections. Seems like there are all those address and data lines that are just begging to be connected to a header on a pcb that can be dropped into either the OS or Antic sockets. That site seems to indicate the address lines need to come from the Antic chip, but couldn't they also come from the OS socket?

Surely that's what Lotharek's IntSDX module does. It gives you a 4-in-1 OS EPROM as well as SDX, and it drops striaght into the OS socket. It just needs about eight additional jumpers running to various hook-up points on the mainboard. I have three of these units and I'm very happy with them.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Antic and the CPU are the only sockets that provide the full address bus. PBI has it also.

Granted. :)

Basic and the OS sockets only provide the lower range of bits needed to address them (8 and 16K worth).

But according to the schematic here I only need the 8 data and 16 address lines for the intSDX mod. :)

Surely that's what Lotharek's IntSDX module does. It gives you a 4-in-1 OS EPROM as well as SDX, and it drops striaght into the OS socket. It just needs about eight additional jumpers running to various hook-up points on the mainboard. I have three of these units and I'm very happy with them.

Now why did you have to go and prevent me from spending a completely useless week's toil in Eagle to create a pcb that would incorporate the intSDX and 4in1 OS chip mod? You didn't have to tell me someone else had already done it. I could have felt completely stupid discovering that. :lol:

Thanks flashjazzcat I'll check his site out. :)

Now why did you have to go and prevent me from spending a completely useless week's toil in Eagle to create a pcb that would incorporate the intSDX and 4in1 OS chip mod? You didn't have to tell me someone else had already done it. I could have felt completely stupid discovering that. icon_lol.gif

Thanks flashjazzcat I'll check his site out. icon_smile.gif

No problem - glad to save you a bit of time!

If you have a GAL programmer and EPROM burner, just buy a bare PCB from Lotharek. They're very inexpensive and a cynch to build (providing you can solder SMT components).

Edited by flashjazzcat

I'm thinking about how I can streamline the connections. Seems like there are all those address and data lines that are just begging to be connected to a header on a pcb that can be dropped into either the OS or Antic sockets. That site seems to indicate the address lines need to come from the Antic chip, but couldn't they also come from the OS socket?

You are correct, I had forgotten about Lotharek's combination multi-OS/intSDX upgrade. There is also the yet to be released Candle Ultimate 1MB upgrade.