IGNORED

I made some CV game mockup with ICVGM303

Kiwi

Since when newcoleco made this tool available, I was able make colecovision tileset based off the Colecovision's graphical limitation. ICVGM is one of those art tool tailored for people who likes to draw tilesets. One of the biggest reason why I like this tool is that I love working with limitation. I made some mock-up of Actraiser by using this tool 7 months ago.

Birth of the people, and this picture shows what the ICVGM interface looks like.

post-24767-128194084858_thumb.png

double sized mock-up

post-24767-128194086795_thumb.png

1st action stage

post-24767-12819409107_thumb.png

2nd action stage WIP

post-24767-12819413176_thumb.png

A lot of Actraiser tiles, specially the latest stage, uses 2 colors black then one color. So, when I played this game on the SNES.

Recently, I had a tower defense game in my mind, and I wanted to draw this so I can get a clearer picture what the game would look like. I also wanted to see if the interface on the left side would work. I made the path mostly black because the sprite will be 1 colors.

post-24767-128194107577_thumb.png

I wanted to share these pictures to the forums.

Very cool :cool:

Do you mind sharing if you used sprites for creating the mockups ?

And if yes, where? :)

I haven't made sprites for these mock-up yet. I have in mind what the sprites would look like. Such as the angel sprite would have 3 sprites sandwiched on top of each other to create a 3 color 16x16 sprite while the enemies would have 1 to 3 sprites. For example, the bat enemy would have 2 black sprite, when facing down, with 1 red sprite for his eyes. The bat's eyes would be dropped first or rotated if there's more than 4 sprites on a scan line. That what I am visualizing right now. The action stage would be more difficult to reproduce for the colecovision. I think if you are working with 8x8 sprite mode, I'm guessing there's 4 8x8 sprites per scan line, which would make Megaman games for the CV more difficult. Although, I do have cvgraphictoolkit to help with sprite though.

A quick mock-up with sprites.

post-24767-128198095954_thumb.png

@youki, that style would look awesome with Ghost'n Zombie.

Thanks for the wonderful comments.

Edited by Kiwi

Such as the angel sprite would have 3 sprites sandwiched on top of each other to create a 3 color 16x16 sprite while the enemies would have 1 to 3 sprites.

You do know that the TMS9918 can only display 4 sprites per scanline, right? It's a luxury to even use two sprites for the "hero" sprite.

The tile art does look pretty awesome, though, especially the "shiny" text letters.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin