IGNORED

This makes me feel physically sick

HollowPoint123

People don't appreciate the things they have. I've been unemployed for over a year now. I'm a teacher and here in NJ it's really hard keeping a job if you're not tenure. I apply on average at least 3 jobs per week for the past 4 months. Last week I had an interview. The principal told me she had 200 resumes for the one job and that I was one of 24 chosen for an interview. She said this week it will be narrowed down to 4. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But before I became a teacher 4 years ago, I always seemed to struggle with low paying jobs, even working for myself for a few years. But I was pretty happy with what I did. I had worked a few years ago for the financial company, AXA/Equitable typing in all the 401k info of clients. I didn't make much money, and got some extra cash with Ebay, which I've been on for 12 years now. WOW! Anyway, anytime we would print something, a header sheet would first print saying who's document was printing. It was pretty much a waste of paper, but at least they recycled. But I decided to keep my header sheets to reuse for Ebay. I literally have a few thousand sheets of paper. I've used them for labels, scrap paper, or other things I needed printed that weren't too important. The reverse side is blank, so I saw an opportunity to save on waste.

Reuse is one important aspect of life. Talking to my neighbor, I found out when my great grandfather bought the house I live in back in the 1940s, he used extra doors and wood from this same neighbor's mother to expand the house I live in. There was no Home Depot or Lowe's to go and get fresh lumber. And of course there wasn't too much money to be buying new lumber.

I saw an episode of History Detectives last week that was from last year. It showed how people in Colorado reused trolley cars and any other wood they could find to build their houses in the 1940s. It wasn't so much about money as it was about supply. The war demanded the resources, so reusing already existing items to build was a necessity.

If we ever get into a crisis once again, people will realize how good they have it.

Phil

Actually these videos are not new and they've been posted on here before by someone else. I can remember watching this at least a year ago. I know these people smash tons of stuff, so I don't think people watching the Atari video is going to enhance their love of taping themselves destroying items.

Phil

My very first sentence was I know there has been a thread about this sort of thing before. But that was the second vid where the sear survived being run over.

People don't appreciate the things they have. I've been unemployed for over a year now. I'm a teacher and here in NJ it's really hard keeping a job if you're not tenure. I apply on average at least 3 jobs per week for the past 4 months. Last week I had an interview. The principal told me she had 200 resumes for the one job and that I was one of 24 chosen for an interview. She said this week it will be narrowed down to 4. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I saw an episode of History Detectives last week that was from last year. It showed how people in Colorado reused trolley cars and any other wood they could find to build their houses in the 1940s. It wasn't so much about money as it was about supply. The war demanded the resources, so reusing already existing items to build was a necessity.

If we ever get into a crisis once again, people will realize how good they have it.

Phil

Phil

I'm sure the best job for you will come along - you just have to keep looking. Perhaps another change of career is in the pipeline.

I know what it's like I was out of work for 5 years from 1990 to 1995. My old job (Senior Computer Operator on IBM S/38 and AS/400) no longer existed (everyone was moving into server client systems). I spent my time updating my skills with college courses (and a nervous breakdown). I remember writin my cv on and old Plus/4 and spending 18 hours one day printing it off on the DPS1101 daisywheel. Took my ears two days to recover. 32 cv's were sent blind to all the computer firms that used System/38s in my area. Got 2 replies.

After over 100 applications I eventually got a job with ICL with their new desktop services division supporting ESCOM PCs (Every System Crashes Onces a Month) then after Escom went bust was moved to the Microsoft support desk. Was ICL for 6 years.

I'm now self employed. I don't make much but enough to keep the bank happy. I beleive in that saying 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'. That doesn't mean I allways go around pulling things out of skips but if it upgrades something then why not. I love collecting old computer stuff. For PC stuff my favoutite piece is a working US (set to UK voltages) Tosh T3100 with disks and manuals. It's not what it is that makes it of value to me - but who owned it originally (a well known tv crime writer, director and producer). I did some work on his newer laptop and managed to he let me have the tosh. Some of the scripts are still on the tiny HD.

Don't fall prey to daytime tv. I assume the trolley cars were scrapped ones. I can imagine the driver seeing a load of people waiting that the stop thinking they were passenger only to find the trolley stripped of wood in under 30secs.

I'm totally against the needless destruction of anything for entertainment purposes.

You must really hate Mythbusters. And Jerry Bruckheimer movies.

I should have used the word 'pointless' instead of 'needless'. No, I like the PoC films (if a bit lenghty and yes I know he's done more). Most thing that get destroyed in films nowadays are cgi or were made specifically for the purpose of being destroyed.

Phil

I'm sure the best job for you will come along - you just have to keep looking. Perhaps another change of career is in the pipeline.

Don't fall prey to daytime tv. I assume the trolley cars were scrapped ones. I can imagine the driver seeing a load of people waiting that the stop thinking they were passenger only to find the trolley stripped of wood in under 30secs.

At 40, changing careers is now out. I spent alot of effort changing careers over the years and finally found something I really like and hopefully can make a difference in the world with the minds of our youth. Plus it cost me a pretty penny to become a teacher with the licenses, fingerprinting, schooling and such.

As for the trolley cars being used for houses, or pieces of houses, yes, they were no longer in service. It was a time when buses were replacing the trolleys so they sold them for like $300 or something for a trolley car. They showed some of the houses that used trolley cars and you'd be amazed at how much room there was. Back then, most people didn't horde stuff like today... like me. :) So you could fit a family of 3 or 4 in 5 rooms easily.

If you think about it, no microwaves, toaster ovens or George Forman grills, only a stove. No dishwasher, only a sink. Appliances themselves did not take up too much room. You didn't have closets full of clothes and shoes. My wife is amazed at how little space people could live in. I'm not. We've gotten used to having a lot of things.

Phil

Phil

At 40, changing careers is now out. I spent alot of effort changing careers over the years and finally found something I really like and hopefully can make a difference in the world with the minds of our youth. Plus it cost me a pretty penny to become a teacher with the licenses, fingerprinting, schooling and such.

If you think about it, no microwaves, toaster ovens or George Forman grills, only a stove. No dishwasher, only a sink. Appliances themselves did not take up too much room. You didn't have closets full of clothes and shoes. My wife is amazed at how little space people could live in. I'm not. We've gotten used to having a lot of things.

Phil

I'm 45 and in my experience at 40 you do feel as your too old. I found that no matter how much I wanted to get out of IT it I always get pulled back into it. It annoys me that nowadays qualifications are classed as more important than experience. Although I have 27 years experience in support I dont have the qualfications to become a data input clerk. Or employers think I'm over qualified. I've been in IT starting with my 2nd job back in 1983 (my first was selling 2600s) and am self taught. I don't mean that learning how to program in basic, cobol and pascal at college was a waste of time but I've hardly ever needed to use that skill. I cannot study. If I'm interested in a subject and cannot find out all I need to know in 3 hours I give up.

I don't want to tell you how to 'suck eggs' but you need to breakdown you skills - being able to teach is a fantastic skill. The ability to get people to listen to not only what you say but what you mean.

A friend of mine had this idea that he could have a collection of old systems - consoles, pcs etc - and get sponsorship to visit schools and give talks on the roots of modern machines. Over here they want to rename everything so what I would call IT schools have to call it ICT - still don't know what it means. See what the curriculum is for IT in your area and see if you can create a need for your services. It would appeal to all ages - the young ones can play on the machines and the older ones can do some simple programming.

You forgot to mention that during the war people didn't have Atrari 2600's either.

I think about the times of the war and how little people did have. My parents are baby boomers. They were born in the late 1940s after the war. I always compared rich to poor. I said my father was rich because he had butter, my mother was poor because she had margarine. I can't tell you how many times she told me she actually went to bed hungry. These kids have it so good. When I was teaching, it was in the inner city with 90%+ Spanish. Almost all of these kids got free lunch in the food program. Thing is, they're walking around with $300 cell phones and $150 sneakers. I have no idea how they beat the system. To date, I still do not nor ever have owned a cell phone. I find no need for it. I may get a disposable one some time down the road, but I've held off for this long. :)

Phil