IGNORED

Dumbest thing you've heard people say about games/systems

4Ks

Hearing people refer to game carts as "tapes." You could never get it out of their heads that they were not tapes. :roll:

Actually, my parents were more modern. Any video game system - including the gynormous Neo Geo - was a "Nintendo". I still have to Babblefish translate things in my head when they call 1.44 floppies a "hard disk".

Funny! I still meet people who do the same. Just not things they deal with on a daily basis I guess.

Hearing people refer to game carts as "tapes." You could never get it out of their heads that they were not tapes. :roll:

Actually, my parents were more modern. Any video game system - including the gynormous Neo Geo - was a "Nintendo". I still have to Babblefish translate things in my head when they call 1.44 floppies a "hard disk".

Funny! I still meet people who do the same. Just not things they deal with on a daily basis I guess.

If you have younger siblings you'll encounter things like this too. I've had a hard time getting my younger brothers to realize that circuit boards are not "hard disks" (or rather "Festplatten" in German, which you could literally translate to "hard boards" if you really wanted to).

Speaking of "babelfishing in your mind", I regularly get my head spinning when my mother talks about a "file" ("Datei") on the computer, as that could mean anything from a folder, a program window, an actual data file or even just parts of one of those (like one of multiple spreadsheet pages in an Excel document); but I think I've gotten quite good at judging just from the context what it is she is referring to. ;)

Edited by Herbarius

I forgot about that one. The "hard disk" one used to drive me nuts.

i know i am showing my age somewhat 'ere but it's got to be said

best dumbest thing i ever heard

Can you play an atari game in a commodore system (yes, i have heard this one actually) and it's variants for nintendo, sega, sony, veccy, inty etc etc

Edited by carmel_andrews

i know i am showing my age somewhat 'ere but it's got to be said

best dumbest thing i ever heard

Can you play an atari game in a commodore system (yes, i have heard this one actually) and it's variants for nintendo, sega, sony, veccy, inty etc etc

Oh man, great thread !! :cool:

Somewhere (I think in an old British Amiga mag) I read about someone seeing an Amiga, and asking 'What tapes does it play?'

GGGGRRRRRRrrrr..... :x

TolstoyKafkaEvsky's Atari Jaguar review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ykMhv51UI

This?

I think he confused a Saturn with a 32X, he sucks at Tempest, thinks Wolfenstien 3D was released for Genesis, and doesn't understand the difference between a cartridge and a CD. This kid is annoying. I want to punch him in the balls. This kid is completely uninformed and flat out wrong at multiple points and keeps repeating misinformation over and over... I can go on and on while I'm watching this. This shit gets 100,000+ hits? Unbelievable. Jaguar is one of my top five least favorite consoles, and I can't even stand this.

• Like 1

Whenever there's a thread about some specific piece of gaming hardware and somebody feels the need to jump in and remind the discussion that they can just simply play all those games illegally on their psp/dingoo/gp2x. Software-based emulation is not going to be news to most of the forum.

Edited by Reaperman

Whenever there's a thread about some specific piece of gaming hardware and somebody feels the need to jump in and remind the discussion that they can just simply play all those games illegally on their psp/dingoo/gp2x. Software-based emulation is not going to be news to most of the forum.

Yes! that annoys me.

on Hack a Day, someone wrote this comment about someone making a portable Atari 2600

Pointless as you can just get a psp or gameboy or even any iphone/adroid [sic] device to the same effect

TolstoyKafkaEvsky's Atari Jaguar review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ykMhv51UI

This?

I think he confused a Saturn with a 32X, he sucks at Tempest, thinks Wolfenstien 3D was released for Genesis, and doesn't understand the difference between a cartridge and a CD. This kid is annoying. I want to punch him in the balls. This kid is completely uninformed and flat out wrong at multiple points and keeps repeating misinformation over and over... I can go on and on while I'm watching this. This shit gets 100,000+ hits? Unbelievable. Jaguar is one of my top five least favorite consoles, and I can't even stand this.

What kind of a weak bastard can't remove a cartridge from a slot, then complains about it? Muscular development fail.

• Like 1

Without a doubt, the classic line of "video game systems destroy TVs in some way". Nothing gets me more irritated than that. What kind of retarded, arrogant and misinformed idiot do you have to be to think that?

Actually, I think most people who said that line were defending their unhealthy amount of football/soaps/TV viewings by claiming video games were worse. :roll: This is why I tend to keep gaming to myself and never mention it around my distant relatives....

Edited by Koopa64

Cool thread because funny...I've heard lots of dumb things said over the years about systems and games, but the one that stands out in my memory has to be...

Back in 2002 when I had my first apartment, I was flat broke as a joke. During that time I did'nt have much money and one day I got so desperate I went and tried to sell my NES with the 14 games I had at that time ,at some used videogame store. The person behind the counter working there was totally ignorant. First of all she wanted to give me just $10 for everything I had. I was like no way, but the one thing she said that made me start an argument was that she said " The system is'nt 'Loading' properly"....and then I was like please!! "Loading" !?!? Loading my a**!! This is'nt Playstation 2 we're talking about here , this is an old NES for crying out loud!!!! You're supposed to blow in the games and keep trying to make it work DUH!!!!!!! She kept saying my NES was broken too after I had just played it at home to test it out before going to the store.

So I told them off and I ended up not selling my NES that day. Looking back I'm glad I did'nt because I still have the same system.That would have been a mistake. No way was I going give into someone's ignorance for a measly 10 bucks. Surprised they even hired that person in the first place.

Edited by lushgirl_80
  • Like 2

Misuses of the word "bit". Not a big deal, but the casual perversion of this word gets annoying sometimes.

"8 bit graphics" when referring to graphics that are NES style. Color depth on NES sprites is TWO bits. Lots of systems have an 8-bit processor, that doesn't define what the graphics look like.

"First game in the series programmed in 16 bits" - really? It's that small?

"128-bit system" - this is getting ridiculous. I seriously doubt there's an objective reason for assigning this number, people just like to double it every arbitrarily defined "generation". Lets drop the whole "2^n bit" thing and count by 1s. Leave "bit" to mean an actual bit.

===================

Over the top fanboyism is cute from kids, but simultaneously amusing and disturbing from adults. I still remember hearing some guy in his 20's at Fry's ranting with his friends about PS3 vs XBox 360. They just listened quietly, probably knowing he wouldn't shut up until he got it out off his chest.

That's the only time I've heard an adult in real life call a system the "Gaybox 360". He sounded like he was 12. Apparently frustrated by sales numbers up to that point, he explained in bitter triumph that, according to some report, the PS3 had ACTUALLY OUT-SOLD (OMG!) the 360 the previous month by like TWO THOUSAND UNITS!

You'd think he spent his last penny on the damn thing.

"how do you hook this up?"

one of two answers:

its only one plug that you screw in

or

ITS FRIGGIN COLOR CODED FOR RETARDS LIKE YOU!

edit:

Also, "I'm hardcore becuase I play xbox 360"

I HATE the word Hardcore, especially when used with CODMW2 and Xbox360 in the same sentence.

... while i'm at it, haha I got post 69

also, again, megaflops, terraflops, or whatever kinda flippin flops, what are those supposed to mean?

Edited by Tr3vor

"how do you hook this up?"

one of two answers:

its only one plug that you screw in

or

ITS FRIGGIN COLOR CODED FOR RETARDS LIKE YOU!

I got asked that recently, "how do I hook up my DVD player to my TV?". What really blew me away was that they couldn't work out how to do it using a HDMI cable!?! How hard is it to plug in ONE cable, and to select the HDMI Input on the TV?!?

"128-bit system" - this is getting ridiculous. I seriously doubt there's an objective reason for assigning this number, people just like to double it every arbitrarily defined "generation". Lets drop the whole "2^n bit" thing and count by 1s. Leave "bit" to mean an actual bit.

===================

I get your point, but there is a reason they use 2^n and that is either the CPU/GPU itself has 2^n bits of registers or it is the size of the data path on the bus. That is supposed to mean it is faster (since it can supposedly process more data at once and push it on the bus faster), but to be honest, there are a lot of other factors that lead to the overall speed of a machine. In that context, it is about as useful as bogomips. What makes it worse is a lot of vendors misuse it by combining the data path of all chips if it uses several of them or doing some type of elven magic to get the number. It is stupid. Why not measure it something useful like the number of polygons it can display at once or the framerate it can maintain at a certain resolution rendering a particular image. Probably because it would look worse than something else and bigger is better according to marketing.

Cliff...all this bitness/byteness goes back to the missleading advertising stunts the likes of sega/nintendo used to to when advertising their cart games for the nes/snes/sms/md (or genesis to you people), when they used to exclaim that this nes game or that sms game was x megs (or mega) and similarly for their 16 bit offerings (snes/md)...thankfuly this missleading advertising stopped when the cd based consoles like saturn/psx/dc/ps2 was apon us)

Unfortunately though, most companies in the internet service industry namely those that actually provide connection to the internet (be it via cable or fibre optic broadband...or adsl to you people) are trying the same missleading advertising/marketing when describing the speed capablilities of the connection (i.e refering it to as megs or MB, which is the international accepted shortform for megabytes, not megabits) whereas we all know that data transfer speeds using telecoms or datacoms networks are measured in bits and not bytes

furthermore, from what i remember reading on AA, HD (hard drive/hard disk) manufacturers are now playing the same game but in a different way, as we all know, a kb or mb is 1024bytes or 1024kbytes, however....hd manufacturers want to 'confuse' the buying public by reffering to metric/decimal measurements when describing the storage capacity of their drive's ...i.e 1 kilo is not 1024, it is 1000, and similarly 1 meg isn't 1024kb it is 1000kb and so on and so forth...in short, when they say their hard drive has storage capacity of 500 gigs, 500 gig's isn't 500 gigs like you and i might like to think (i,.e according to HD manuf's 500 gigs is 500000000000 to you and i 500 gigs is 536,870,912,000 (some difference as you can see)

like i said elsewhere.....it's all a big con i tell yah, a big con

Edited by carmel_andrews

furthermore, from what i remember reading on AA, HD (hard drive/hard disk) manufacturers are now playing the same game but in a different way, as we all know, a kb or mb is 1024bytes or 1024kbytes, however....hd manufacturers want to 'confuse' the buying public by reffering to metric/decimal measurements when describing the storage capacity of their drive's ...i.e 1 kilo is not 1024, it is 1000, and similarly 1 meg isn't 1024kb it is 1000kb and so on and so forth...in short, when they say their hard drive has storage capacity of 500 gigs, 500 gig's isn't 500 gigs like you and i might like to think (i,.e according to HD manuf's 500 gigs is 500000000000 to you and i 500 gigs is 536,870,912,000 (some difference as you can see)

That however is just a convention, get used to it. Of course some motivation behind it may be to make the drives sound bigger, but well, if you would try to change this convention today it would get even more confusing - They aren't "now" playing the game, they did that from the very beginning. It's only that the bigger the drive capacities get, the more you notice the difference ;)

Furthermore, if you go by SI units, one megabyte IS 1000 kilobytes, one kilobyte IS 1000 byte, regardless of what 30 years of computer literature might tell you. The reasoning is, by their book "kilo" cannot mean anything else than 1000, and "mega" can't mean anything else than 1 million. So what do they propose? The word "kibibyte" for 1024 byte, and a "mebibyte" for 1024 kibibytes. Needless to say, acceptance of that nomenclature is very poor ;)

Edited by Herbarius

Without a doubt, the classic line of "video game systems destroy TVs in some way". Nothing gets me more irritated than that. What kind of retarded, arrogant and misinformed idiot do you have to be to think that?

Actually, I think most people who said that line were defending their unhealthy amount of football/soaps/TV viewings by claiming video games were worse. :roll: This is why I tend to keep gaming to myself and never mention it around my distant relatives....

We'll somehow it can be true. With older tv/monitors or even the early plasma screens of now, a screen can burn in if a single game screen stays on screen for a LONG, LONG periode without any movement. Like backgrounds or single screen games of the early systems. But with todays hardware and fast past gaming it isn't a issue.