IGNORED

CTIUG fair in November....

marc.hull

In case some of you US guys (and more adventurous Euro's and Canuk's) don't know the TI Faire is coming up in November. I have been to one and only one but had a pretty decent time of it. I am wondering if any from this group is planning on attending this year and if so perhaps some logistics planning is in order... I assume you all drink beer and enjoy a bit of rabble rousing ;-)....

I've been twice.

The first time was in 2005, I had a ton of hardware (PEBs, monitors, consoles, acoustic modems), books, carts, etc. to give away, so I took it all to the Faire. I was a little miffed when people were pawing through, and walking away with, my stuff even before I was finished bringing it all in from my car. No one had any idea if I was selling or not, but they took stuff anyway. I found the people a little "clicky", i.e. if you didn't already know them, they were not going to have much of a conversation with you. I had never seen a Geneve before either, but I could not get anyone who did bring their Geneve to even give me a small demonstration. There also seemed to be a riff between some of the "old timers", and one selling TI gear was apparently not very welcome there. It really put me out. Personally I don't give a !@#$% what happened to so-and-so 15 or 20 years ago. Get over it or piss off. The TI community seems to really have this "dark side" of grudges and animosity that constantly comes back up and just makes things frustrating and miserable for everyone. It does not seem to have leaked over here to A.A. though, and for that I am grateful.

On a positive note, I did get to meet Ron Reuter at that Faire, and I have beautiful glossy print out he made of the 99/4A mother board. His artwork is fantastic and he had made a bunch of these 11x17 prints to give to people. I framed mine and have used it more than once to locate chips. :-) I also got a game cart I wanted for twenty-five cents from that guy who was selling (the guy who other people did not want there.) He was nice to me, and hell, twenty-five cents for a cart!?!? Anyway, I went to that 2005 Faire early and full of excitement, but left early, a little put out, and rather sad.

My second time was last year (2009) because I found out Tursi was going to be there, so I went specifically to meet him. It was a rather different Faire than before. No one really selling though, which was a bummer, and "that guy who some people didn't want there" was not there. I also got to meet Walid and see the WIP on his RTS game. Jon was also there selling his multi-cart boards, so I picked up a few of those. I didn't even know Jon had made the boards or that he would be there selling at the Faire. It would have been nice to know ahead of time who was going, who would be selling, etc. But I won't complain because I have not volunteered or stepped up (yet) to help make it a better Faire. On the other hand, Hal has never really asked (that I know of), so maybe that's how he wants it to be. There were more demonstrations as well, but it was all in the same room and the demonstrations were back-to-back, so it was hard to talk to people and socialized without interrupting the presenter. And this time around, people seemed to actually want to talk.

I stuck around a little longer too, and participated in the evening events. I left just before the bar-hopping since it was about 10:30pm and I live about 3.5 hours away (and I could not afford the $185 a night to stay in Evanston.)

Depending on who chimes in this year, I might see about coming up really early and staying the night so I can get in the whole day. Personally I'd really like to "talk code" with people and work out some neat software and hardware ideas, projects, etc. Socializing is okay, but it is a lot more fun when you are actually working on something, IMO.

I also think the Faire should be held in conjunction with a few other retro-computer groups around Chicagoland, like the C64 and Atari guys maybe. That would make it a little bigger and more interesting for us all, and promote some cross interest. But, like all things, these are just my opinions.

Matthew

Personally I don't give a !@#$% what happened to so-and-so 15 or 20 years ago. Get over it or piss off. The TI community seems to really have this "dark side" of grudges and animosity that constantly comes back up and just makes things frustrating and miserable for everyone. It does not seem to have leaked over here to A.A. though, and for that I am grateful.

Sure hope we can keep A.A. that way; a clean and safe place :)

I've been staying pretty low at the Y! group lately, because there is just way too much drama for me.

Also too much off topic stuff. Dunno, somehow I get the feeling that each time A.A. is mentioned it seems to be a bad thing.

Jeez, it's not like we want to split the TI community or something.

We just wanna rock and get new cool TI-99/4A software & hardware out there :D

Personally I don't give a !@#$% what happened to so-and-so 15 or 20 years ago. Get over it or piss off. The TI community seems to really have this "dark side" of grudges and animosity that constantly comes back up and just makes things frustrating and miserable for everyone. It does not seem to have leaked over here to A.A. though, and for that I am grateful.

Sure hope we can keep A.A. that way; a clean and safe place :)

I've been staying pretty low at the Y! group lately, because there is just way too much drama for me.

Also too much off topic stuff. Dunno, somehow I get the feeling that each time A.A. is mentioned it seems to be a bad thing.

Jeez, it's not like we want to split the TI community or something.

We just wanna rock and get new cool TI-99/4A software & hardware out there :D

I think the way to look at it perhaps like this...... There are 3 viewpoints in the TI community.

One is that the world came to an end in the eighties group and anything that could have been done, has been done. There are a lot of people who for some reason or another just don't want to move on but would rather reminisce about the good old days. Most of these lurk on the "dash" group and can be heard mumbling nonsense most of the time or coming to each others rescue when one of them puts their foot in their mouth. This group includes the trolls that don't dare come out into the light of day in fear that their protectors won't follow....

Second is that the best is yet to come crowd which I think this group represents. We should always remember though that our works are most definitely built on the backs of those that preceded us (unless you are Tim who is obviously an old codger who was proceeded by no one except maybe Moses ;-). Perhaps we don't always give proper reverence but it seems that those who demand it don't deserve it and those that do deserve it keep humbly quiet. Perhaps the later realize that if you sit on your accomplishments then you are simply sitting and not in the game and it is time to simply watch the show, not talk about what you or someone else did years ago..

The third group is the take it or leave bunch (which I strive to be but sometimes my mouth gets in the way...) These are people who can stomach either side with little effect.

Personally I have decided that the first group simply wears me out and I no longer want to deal with the mutual masturbation and repetitive nonsense that spews from SOME on group 1, so I elected to leave to join the "NO DASH" yahoo group and AA. Pretty good move so far. The NO-DASHers are focused on all aspects of the TI except for the stuff that occurs here, a bit more cerebral but without the gold bars shoved up their asses as on group 1. This group is where I get my gaming and new stuff fix which simply feels good. The combination of the NO-DASHers and the AA gamers seem to get me through without my eyes going red (too much anyhow....)

I would suggest that the AA's and NO-DASHers make their presence known at the fair (if possible of course) and perhaps we can get those that are afraid of new things to maybe lighten up a bit, pull the sticks out of their asses and enjoy the TI stuff instead of the constant rehash of history.... Not that history is bad in of itself but when that is the only thing then it gets a bit dry.

I'll be there at least on Saturday and I hope to see some of you.

I'ld like to go, not sure yet if I will. I will have the Proplay gamepads ready by then if I do go. I don't mess around on the Y! group at all, I even dropped my membership from it. This forum has all the community and support that I was looking for and I'm mainly into programming and this is much more convenient for hashing out problems and showing stuff to others.

I don't understand why they want to think of A.A. as competition but they should embrace the new frontline that can bring in some new life to a computer that is more then deserving of the respect it never had a chance at getting when TI killed it at such a young age and without ever putting up a fight.

What's the date of the fair this year?

Not that history is bad in of itself but when that is the only thing then it gets a bit dry.

I still like to believe there is some history yet to be written about the TI-99. That's the thing about history that some people never get. It never stops moving forward. History is not a static event, it is made up of static events but there is always new events to add to it.

There were more demonstrations as well, but it was all in the same room and the demonstrations were back-to-back, so it was hard to talk to people and socialized without interrupting the presenter. And this time around, people seemed to actually want to talk.

<snip>

Depending on who chimes in this year, I might see about coming up really early and staying the night so I can get in the whole day. Personally I'd really like to "talk code" with people and work out some neat software and hardware ideas, projects, etc. Socializing is okay, but it is a lot more fun when you are actually working on something, IMO.

Matthew

I found last year's presentation component the most annoying and obnoxious aspect of the Faire for the reason you mentioned above. People want to talk, and not just about social things; in that setting it was nearly impossible. I did get to talk with a handful of folks but it was just not a good venue.

The idea of talking about code and projects and fun stuff -- and in detail, nerd-like fashion, is awesome. Before Marcus ponders whether or not Mumm-ra was my great-grandfather, I will say that some of my favorite Faire-of-olde memories were driving (the one I liked the most was the Lima, OH MUG) the day before, moving between hotel rooms sharing code ideas, demoing code that was gonna be showcased at the Faire, and staying up way too late with wonder and amazement at what people had done with this machine.

I don't know if Hal could ensure a second room is available but that doesn't mean we can't try or ask.... Oh, and if you want a Geneve demo, I'd be happy to give ya one. ;)

There were more demonstrations as well, but it was all in the same room and the demonstrations were back-to-back, so it was hard to talk to people and socialized without interrupting the presenter. And this time around, people seemed to actually want to talk.

<snip>

Matthew

I found last year's presentation component the most annoying and obnoxious aspect of the Faire for the reason you mentioned above. People want to talk, and not just about social things; in that setting it was nearly impossible. I did get to talk with a handful of folks but it was just not a good venue.

The idea of talking about code and projects and fun stuff -- and in detail, nerd-like fashion, is awesome. Before Marcus ponders whether or not Mumm-ra was my great-grandfather, I will say that some of my favorite Faire-of-olde memories were driving (the one I liked the most was the Lima, OH MUG) the day before, moving between hotel rooms sharing code ideas, demoing code that was gonna be showcased at the Faire, and staying up way too late with wonder and amazement at what people had done with this machine.

I don't know if Hal could ensure a second room is available but that doesn't mean we can't try or ask.... Oh, and if you want a Geneve demo, I'd be happy to give ya one. ;)

Hal is pretty reasonable, perhaps he would be open to the idea of table only presentations along with just a few 30 minute lectures from the usual suspects. What do you guys think of that kind of format ?

I am still holding out fond hopes that I will have something tangible in hand to take to Chicago in November, and will go and surprise everyone with it. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable getting up and demoing my sandlot crap in front of the Old Guard , much less any of you friendly folks who are miles ahead of me in the skills department, but I'd at least like to have what I'm making available, meet some people, and check the whole thing out.

As for the cliquey aspect of things in some departments, I've gone through all the 'stages of grief' on that one, and come out the other side with a firmer realization that what I do on the 99/4A, I do for myself, and my own sanity and enjoyment. Comments and feedback are awesome, but wishing and hoping for one big unified happy family on this stuff is just futile. Reading back through old Micropendium issues and early newsgroup postings, it doesn't seem to be a new problem at all, and I have too much stuff I *can* fix to worry about, so I've let it go as much as possible.

I also am curious to see if I get any residual attitude from people because I sell TI stuff on ebay. It's come out overtly on "the list" once or twice, to where I'd never dream of setting up a table or attempting to do any 'vending' there.

Short answer: if I finish my project, I'll be there with said project in hand. If not, I probably won't go this year.

I want to go.. perhaps I should take the time to book that now and turn 'want' into 'will do'. ;)

I finally came up with a concept I really want to do.. but the faire is coming so fast it's going to be very hard to get a proof of concept built (especially if my contract at work keeps getting renewed!) ;)

Regarding the talks at last year's faire - I agree that I wanted to socialize and chat and SEE what people brought, too - the plan was a little over half a day of presentations and the rest for that. Unfortunately the library double-booked our room, and we lost the entire morning while some mother's group did playtime with their kids. By the time we got the room and got setup, we only had about 3-4 hours before we had to vacate again. Very frustrating. I'm sure that will be on Hal's mind this year, to make sure we get our allotted time! And perhaps better control the time spent by talkers. My own presentation came up short as my machine was unstable once I got it there (and worked fine again when I got it home, of course. This is apparently a normal curse of that room).

The pub crawl was surprisingly fun - I've never done that before, but the little group we had was fun to hang out with, and we did get to talk about a lot of different things.

I'm probably in. For everyone who *might* go based on a project being done, I'd like to urge you to go even if it is not done (Tursi, InfernalKeith). Personally I'd like to see a project in progress since that's the part that is the most fun, and it still generates a some excitement about the project. You can also talk to people, get some feedback, and ideas about things you may not have thought about.

Personally I have a few projects I'm going to make public in a little while (within a month I hope), and they won't all be done for the Faire, but I think I'm far enough along to be more than the dreaded "vaporware" (or vapor hardware in my case.)

Matthew

I am planning to come--- although perhaps in some way "defeated" in my mind... I had hoped to have a working and playable demo of Beryl Reichardt--- I had hoped to have the manuals and packaging for the SSGC completed, and at least something on the hardware front--- my road-warrior project of a pseudo-TI "laptop" which I never was able to get off the ground. In short, I feel like I really want to go and WILL go if it will be financially possible.... But the last 3-5 months have been one constant road trip in different states and towns and virtually no TI time. Still--- the lure of seeing the Faire, my friends, and the new demos.... I want to be there....

Remember Owen, there are no perfect actions, only perfect intentions. Everyone in this *hobby* is in the same boat, as you can see none of use think our projects will be done by the 2010 Faire.

For me, the aspect I look forward to the most is meeting people from the forums and talking about coding, hardware, projects, etc. You go home with new ideas, new energy, new friends, and strengthened relationships. I only wish that everyone had enough time and money to come, especially our European mates over there, I know that must cost quite a bit (although I have seen flights from Europe to Chicago or Detroit for $250 before... But that is still a lot of money for a hobby.) There is one guy though, who comes every year to represent the European community, but I've never actually figured out who he is. Everyone else seems to already know him, and introductions are practically non-existent (in my limited experiences.) Anyway he seems to make it every year, from Finland I think. Not sure how he does it.

Matthew

<nip>

There is one guy though, who comes every year to represent the European community, but I've never actually figured out who he is. Everyone else seems to already know him, and introductions are practically non-existent (in my limited experiences.) Anyway he seems to make it every year, from Finland I think. Not sure how he does it.

Matthew

That would be Berry Harmsen. Every now and then someone else comes along. For a while, Gerd Weissman (sp?) came along. It used to be that most of the "vendors" wore name tags or put up signs but as the community got smaller, most of the folks knew one another. The dynamic seems to have changed a bit the last year or two -- but old habits die hard.

I have been attending the Faire since 2006 and have always had a great time. I got to meet legendary people I only knew of over the internet, like for example when I finally shook hands with Charlie Good :) And the pre and post Faire festivities are always a blast he he... Think what you want of Hal, but he is one hell of a colourful and entertaining guy, and a good friend to boot!

I will definitely be there this year and hope to see many of you there too! Plan on spending the night though if at all possible: believe me it's usually a very "interesting" experience :)

Walid

I don't think Bill Gaskill posts here to ask him directly, but does he attend the Faire? Right now he's the guy I'd most love to shake hands with, and buy a beer for his contributions and inspiration.

You're kinda high on that list too, Walid, so hopefully I'll see you there. :)

K

Very kind of you:) Bill has attended all the Faires I have been to so far. He always makes fascinating presentations.