IGNORED

Protos or Repros

horseboy

Stickers match protos, impossible to tell without seeing the PCB's.

That is what I figured. Didn't most protos have lab loaner labels though?

No, many 5200 ones do not. They could also be Best Electronics releases, on real proto PCB's, although I think they used different stickers.

No, many 5200 ones do not. They could also be Best Electronics releases, on real proto PCB's, although I think they used different stickers.

Stickers aside, how could you tell the difference between a legit proto and a BE release?

Edited by horseboy

Stickers aside, how could you tell the difference between a legit proto and a BE release?

Most open 5200 protos, I have seen, have typed stickers on the EPROM's, I doubt Best tried to fake that. Although you never know, considering the fake 2600 Quadrun loaner carts with a real mask ROM inside. :roll:

Hard to tell without looking at the boards. Even when you have a board, it's hard to know if it's the work of Brad from Best or engineers at Atari. Appropriate DMP labels over the eproms favor authenticity. Even for Best protos, this was a very good price. I might have bid just because it was a deal, had I noticed.

Even for Best protos, this was a very good price.

Why would you say that? You can get repros with nice labels of all 4 of the unreleased games and nice copies of the released one's for a fraction of that price.

Same reason someone just paid over $30,000.00 for an empty air raid box. (Some) collectors are whack in the head. :P

As far as the Best protos, I'm not sure anything much over the price of the materials and time for the guy to burn the rom onto the chip is worth the money. From the sounds of it, they are using the identical board and files that were used during the production years, but they were made many years later and therefore as far as I'm concerned fake.

It's no different than the 2600 repros popping up on ebay.

Same reason someone just paid over $30,000.00 for an empty air raid box. (Some) collectors are whack in the head. :P

For the record, that boxed Air Raid did come with an Air Raid cartridge, as well as a molded plastic insert in the box to keep the cartridge in place.

..Al

Ah, well...makes it well worth the money then. :ponder: :P :ponder: