IGNORED

High Score Club 8.04 - Phoenix

Ze_ro

I guess I'm not doing *too* bad for never having really played this game before, but I'm wondering if anyone has some good strategy tips. One problem I'm having is using the shield strategically. I either forget to use it at all, or I accidentally use it at the wrong time. There's nothing to do about that except keep playing and get better at using the shield.

I've managed to figure out how to handle the mother ship-- blast a hole in the bottom, then move over to the left or right to blast holes in the blue shield, then move back to the middle to zap the alien.

But I do have a question about the first two screens. Do most of you take your time on those screens, and try to kill the birds as they dive, so you get more points for them, or do you just blast away at them while they're in formation?

Screens 3 and 4 are where I'm usually getting clobbered the most. I guess I'll do better on them once I get the hang of using the shield, huh?

Any good tips?

Michael

PS -- I've read the tips at the beginning of the thread, but I haven't checked out the older thread from when the game was played before in the HSC. I was just wondering if anyone has any secrets that haven't already been posted?

Edited by SeaGtGruff

I guess I'm not doing *too* bad for never having really played this game before, but I'm wondering if anyone has some good strategy tips. One problem I'm having is using the shield strategically. I either forget to use it at all, or I accidentally use it at the wrong time. There's nothing to do about that except keep playing and get better at using the shield.

I've managed to figure out how to handle the mother ship-- blast a hole in the bottom, then move over to the left or right to blast holes in the blue shield, then move back to the middle to zap the alien.

But I do have a question about the first two screens. Do most of you take your time on those screens, and try to kill the birds as they dive, so you get more points for them, or do you just blast away at them while they're in formation?

Screens 3 and 4 are where I'm usually getting clobbered the most. I guess I'll do better on them once I get the hang of using the shield, huh?

Any good tips?

Michael

PS -- I've read the tips at the beginning of the thread, but I haven't checked out the older thread from when the game was played before in the HSC. I was just wondering if anyone has any secrets that haven't already been posted?

I only use the shield on screens 3 and 4 in crisis situations (e.g. In the corner, three birds overhead, lots of bombs falling). Every time the shield is pulled on, there's a chance that the shield will go away at the same time a bomb is about to crash into the ship. Also, I think these screens are counter-intuitive, in that they require more patience than just shooting a lot. After I clear the bottom three birds, I really pick my shots more.

I just clear screens 1 and 2 as quickly and as carefully as I can. If I lose a ship on one of the first two screens, I don't like myself much after that. Survival is everything.

Of course, right now, this is an 80,000 point strategy. The six figures may have a better way of doing things.

I just clear screens 1 and 2 as quickly and as carefully as I can. If I lose a ship on one of the first two screens, I don't like myself much after that. Survival is everything.

Of course, right now, this is an 80,000 point strategy. The six figures may have a better way of doing things.

I'm the same way. I feel it is a real wasted life to lose one on the first two screens. I knock them out as quickly as I can whether they are diving or not. In the V formation, sometimes I can knock out half of them right off the bat. I can see the strategy of waiting for them to dive to get more points, but that would also increase the risk of losing a life that is needed more on the more difficult screens.

Does anyone else find that the big-winged birds are easier to kill when they have both their wings? You have to hit them in the same spot regardless but for some reason I have a much harder time when their wings are clipped.

I find I'm using the shield a lot more often then when I started. While the shield is on, I hold the joystick to one side so my ship will move immediately after the shield turns off and, hopefully, out of the way of bullets. It's not full-proof but it has worked for me. I also find myself using the shield to take out the final bird, although sometimes they fly in the opposite direction.

ROLLED THE SCORE!!!

:o I don't know whether to congratulate you or thow up! :P Since I don't particularly want to up-chuck all over my keyboard :woozy:, I'll congratulate you.

Congratulations on an unbelievable score! :thumbsup: 8) :party:

Now if I could only make it to 20,000. :roll:

Michael

Thank you very much, Michael! I'm an EXPERT player, and good at PHOENIX!

Edited by oyamafamily

Any good tips?

Michael

I only use the shield on screens 3 and 4 in crisis situations (e.g. In the corner, three birds overhead, lots of bombs falling). Every time the shield is pulled on, there's a chance that the shield will go away at the same time a bomb is about to crash into the ship. Also, I think these screens are counter-intuitive, in that they require more patience than just shooting a lot. After I clear the bottom three birds, I really pick my shots more.

For what it's worth, I just blast through the first 2 screens as quick as possible. The difference in points isn't worth that much to me. The 3rd screen I start with first bird on right, then the 3 lower left ones. The 4th screen I fire just as soon as they appear and score a free kill in the center. Next I go left killing the lowest one as it passes over and kill the top one when it's by itself at upper left. Then, I head right taking out the other 2 low ones. On the mother ship, I just stay near the center firing away till I've got a through lane. Then use the shield and take it out.

Repeat above many times for higher scores. ;)

Might as well add my latest attempt while I'm at it. 210,880

post-25215-128325882969_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

Another good one: 274,340

Might've hit 300k+ if system didn't overheat and crash on screens 3-4. Birds started going through bottom of screen and coming back from top. I'm putting it on ice for one more attempt.

post-25215-128330941931_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

For those little dudes, I just try to kill them as fast as I can but slow down if one swoops to the bottom. I've lost too many lives to close-range double-kills.

I thought I'd already hit my limit when just now I got 268090. I was down to my last life before even breaking 100k, and my last life was lost when my shot went THROUGH a red bird and it crashed into me.

phoenix268k.jpg

Phoenix objects to me trying again after beating my own score, so I'm done.

Edited by Jifremok