IGNORED

Metroid Prime vs. Fusion

kisrael

Just trying to make a new Metroid thread, sorry for whatever role I played in bringing the other one to an untimely end.

Anyway, what do you think of Metroid Prime vs. Metroid Fusion?

I have to admit, at first, when I was in the store, I found I had a bit more enthusiasm for Fusion than Prime (not enough to make me buy a GBA, but we'll see once the gamecube adaptor is out.) It just seemed cool to have such an old school revival.

Now that me and my gaming buddy are halfway through it, Prime is starting to grow on me, though I'm worried it's going to get too difficult and generally be a pain in the a** to slog through. Already we had a hard enough time On that first big Phazon Mine adventure, and now we're trying to figure out if we're doing the right thing in the metroids that come after that.

So which one captures your interest more? I know there are a lot of classic gamers on this site, so...

Heh, was curious about what might be in the works for Retrop Studios-- looks like their website hasn't been updated since early 1999! Guess they've been too busy on Metroid...

As I've said, I wasn't initially impressed with Prime, but playing Fusion has now got me all hyped to eventually play "the 3D version".

Heh, and like people have said, it definately captures the feel of the original.

In fact, it's changed how I feel about a lot of the enemies in the original...it's kind of weird: one the one hand, I know that many of the enemies in Prime are the way they are as kind of an homage to the original, that's where they got their inspiration and various design details. But because a 3D world is "more real" in some sense, I think subconsciously I'm thinking "ok, Prime is how these creatures *really* are, but it's neat that the original Metroid did such a good job of representing them in 2D" I know that's backwards, that the 3D is a version of the 2D, not the other way around, but still, it's a feeling I end up with.

Yeah, I think Fusion is getting the reputation of being a bit on the short side...people like more of an epic feel for their gme of the year...

...speaking of which, I really gotta try Vice City some day, hit up some friend with a PS2. I like the idea of an active world going on behind the scenes that even GTA and GTA2 had. (Admittedly, that's something Prime doesn't do, it's true to the enemy respawning spirit of the original. I think of all the wonders of the chozo or amazing technologies in that universe, the ability for bad guys to be reborn again and again is right up there! But once we start to think about that, we have to start thinking about how curious it is in that world is poised just at the top of Samus's abilities...random halfpipes, big pits of water that always have some kind of stairway out, etc etc...doesn't stop it from being a great great game though.)

Yeah, I think Fusion is getting the reputation of being a bit on the short side...people like more of an epic feel for their gme of the year...

...speaking of which, I really gotta try Vice City some day, hit up some friend with a PS2.  I like the idea of an active world going on behind the scenes that even GTA and GTA2 had. (Admittedly, that's something Prime doesn't do, it's true to the enemy respawning spirit of the original. I think of all the wonders of the chozo or amazing technologies in that universe, the ability for bad guys to be reborn again and again is right up there! But once we start to think about that, we have to start thinking about how curious it is in that world is poised just at the top of Samus's abilities...random halfpipes, big pits of water that always have some kind of stairway out, etc etc...doesn't stop it from being a great great game though.)

the "inconcistancies" in metroid primes worlds can all be related to one thing... its a damn video game. of course the enemies come back, if they didnt, the game would be broing as hell. all of the things you would never see in a real world are there because its a video game!

...doesn't stop it from being a great great game though.)

the "inconcistancies" in metroid primes worlds can all be related to one thing... its a damn video game. of course the enemies come back, if they didnt, the game would be broing as hell. all of the things you would never see in a real world are there because its a video game!

I know, you shouldn't let too much realism get in the way of having a good game.

But that's one thing I liked about DOOM and DOOM 2 that few polygon based FPS have captured (except the ones that are trying to be hyper realistic, and I don't like those very much)--dead bodies stuck around, and so you can tell where you'd been by all the dead bodies. (That's 'cause everything was a sprite. and a system can put up thousands of sprites without breaking a sweat.)

But DOOM didn't have as much as a exploration/backtracking vibe as Metroid, and when you did backtrack, they'd have to do stuff like new big closet doors that would open to reveal the next wave of monsters to attack.

But that's one thing I liked about DOOM and DOOM 2 that few polygon based FPS have captured (except the ones that are trying to be hyper realistic, and I don't like those very much)--dead bodies stuck around, and so you can tell where you'd been by all the dead bodies. (That's 'cause everything was a sprite. and a system can put up thousands of sprites without breaking a sweat.)

But DOOM didn't have as much as a exploration/backtracking vibe as Metroid, and when you did backtrack, they'd have to do stuff like new big closet doors that would open to reveal the next wave of monsters to attack.

its amazing to me that a metroid game is able to compare to doom! thats one thing i never expected! :!:

its amazing to me that a metroid game is able to compare to doom! thats one thing i never expected!  :!:

Well, I'm full of surprises.

My friend said something to me I hadn't heard before, that the reason Samus rolled up into a ball in the original game is that they couldn't get a decent crawl animation going...anyone ever heard anything about that?

its amazing to me that a metroid game is able to compare to doom! thats one thing i never expected!  :!:

Well, I'm full of surprises.

My friend said something to me I hadn't heard before, that the reason Samus rolled up into a ball in the original game is that they couldn't get a decent crawl animation going...anyone ever heard anything about that?

I find that hard to believe... how hard would a crawl animation be??? It existed on several other NES games... and rolling into a ball was an ability you had to earn to reach other sections of the map... were they going to make it that you had to find the ability to crawl to reach those sections????

:-)

Rumors :-)