IGNORED

Need your opinion

texmex

hello to everyone,

i'm new to the world of atari. since i was a little boy playing with

my game boy i always wondered what it would be like to own

an atari lynx. so yesterday i decided to start a collection.

i bought an atari lynx II (2 years of age), ac/dc adaptor and following

games without box and manual:

rygar

blue lightnig

ninja gaiden

for 50 bucks (thats including shipment).

so my question to you:

did i make a good deal on that?

thanks for your answers.

I would say that's a fair deal, given shipping and depending on the condition of the Lynx. Not super spectacular but fair. Also without looking at the ratings here, I think Ninja Gaiden is also a little on the rarer side (as opposed to the more common Ninja Gaiden 3).

Eric

Welcome to the gaming pleasures of the Lynx. Enjoy it and the joys of true backlit color system. Gamewise I thought you made out ok. Blue Lightening is a must, Rygar is really entertaining and Ninja Gaiden is a good if not spectacular fighter. If you are a gamer on a budget, I recommend these following games that are awesome, yet under $10.00:

Chips Challenge, Rampart, Crystal Caverns, Shanghai, Klax.

I loved Chips Challenge for the Lynx. And Joust totally rocks. I also enjoyed Crystal Mines II, and Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure (which I created many-a-level for...)

I think you got a good deal on it. Lynxes are getting very hard to come by, and they almost constantly sell around $35-40 for the system. Getting an AC adaptor is the best thing you could do if you plan on playing it a lot (they suck batteries) and all three games are quite rare and valued at ~$10-15 apiece.

If you've got a lot of money to spend, make sure to pick up some of the recent homebrew efforts. PONX is easily one of my favorite games, and Sokomania is quite the incredible game too.

If you don't have a lot of money, there are quite a number of Lynx games that were way overcreated. Many of these games are also quite good -- Power Factor, Chip's Challenge, XYBots, Rampart, Pinball Jam, Klax, Crystal Mines II, Robosquash and Tournament Cyberball can all be had for about $5.00 apiece. The only one of those games that I don't particulary care for is Tournament Cyberball.

If you are interested in getting some cheap games for it, the GOAT Store is currently running a special for Lynx games -- Chip's Challenge, Crystal Mines II and Rampart for just $10.00. If you're interested, the link is below :)

http://www.goatstore.com/mon_spec.htm

thank you for the warm welcome. this lynx is awesome.

my next investment will be the "kit case" and a "battery pack".

i read the bat. pack would last up to 20 hours but i remember

my old game gear bat. pack draining after a short time

of using it. what do you think is a realistic time span for the

durability of the bat. pac? i also found a shop in germany

selling atari products "www.atarihq.de". but i'm sure you already

knew that anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of the battery pack. I find my Lynx 2 really can go 4-5 hours on battery, so I use rechargeable AA and carry a spare set -- takes up much less space than the battery pack. I mean, how much battery time do I really need?

By the way, Chips and Crystal Mines do rock if you like puzzle games. Joust, Robotron and Qix are all great arcade ports. Klax is fantastic. Blue Lightening is a lot of fun.

There are some games that are really neat but you may not love the game play. Dracula would be one of those, as well as Warbirds.

And of course you should save your money for Break, coming this summer (hopefully). :wink:

Eric

I respectfully disagree about the battery pack. It is a must if you want to play while travelling by plane, especially with all the downtime atthe airport. It is bulky as it holds 6 (!) D sized batteries but it really provides about 17 hours of play. The battery pack can be found on Ebay for reasonable prices. Heck, I see on Ebay a three accessory pack of the battery, pouch and sun shield for $10.00 not including shipping. Of course the pouch and the kit case are musts.

I agree with Eric's advice on the games. Warbirds is a great two player game, one of the best multiplayer games out there. One player is OK but not as good as the multiplayer. Dracula is a hard puzzle game with really not much replay value. Joust is a must and worth the $20.00 it is worth on Ebay, etc. I have posted various times about Robotron, most recently on the Raiden thread. Graphically, it is about close to the arcade as you are going to get on a handheld. I find the control scheme highly frustrating because you cannot shoot where you want when you want in any method. This is an absolute must for this game, the most pure "twitch" game in history. I shouldn't have to think about how to fire.