IGNORED

Forum Upgrade coming soon! Some details here...

Albert

Lookin' good! Will this break anything under Mac OS 9?

:D Just kidding...kinda :ponder:

I third the request to view pictures in a less annoying manner. But if there's a way to auto-size images larger than the window to something more reasonable that would work too. And if that GUI animation can be turned off that would be great, too. :)

Lookin' good! Will this break anything under Mac OS 9?

:D Just kidding...kinda :ponder:

I no longer have any Macs capable of running OS 9, so I can't check. :ponder: It's unlikely to look good, at any rate.

I third the request to view pictures in a less annoying manner. But if there's a way to auto-size images larger than the window to something more reasonable that would work too. And if that GUI animation can be turned off that would be great, too. :)

I actually tried disabling the animation initially (I don't like it either) but it broke the viewer aesthetically. I did set the animation speeds to the fastest allowed. The defaults are much slower, and supremely annoying when I encounter them on other sites (the viewer I'm using is pretty common). I do hear what people are saying about A) being able to open pictures in another tab/window easily, B) having the browser window screwed up when a picture is too large that you have to scroll right and C) one more step involved in being able to save a picture (you have to click the "Save" link, if you can find it, in the bottom-right corner of the window).

There are some shortcuts, for instance, you can use the left and right arrows to move quickly through images, and you can hit "Escape" to close the window. It's a tradeoff, it's nice when there are many pictures in a message as you can look through them quickly, but the cons are probably not worth the benefits of viewing an image in the same window.

..Al

I know you said before that we can't block threads we've posted in when we use My Posts, but when the upgrade happens will it become possible to do that? It sure would be nice to click on a thread and block it from My Posts and View New Content.

I know you said before that we can't block threads we've posted in when we use My Posts, but when the upgrade happens will it become possible to do that? It sure would be nice to click on a thread and block it from My Posts and View New Content.

I'm not even sure it's going to work with "View New Content", as the "Block Forums" feature is a third-party modification. I do not yet know if it has been updated to work with the new version of the forum software, since the underlying search system has completely changed from what is running here. I'll look into it.

..Al

I'm not even sure it's going to work with "View New Content", as the "Block Forums" feature is a third-party modification. I do not yet know if it has been updated to work with the new version of the forum software, since the underlying search system has completely changed from what is running here. I'll look into it.

..Al

I recently inquired about this issue in another thread, and you indicated that it was unlikely that the ability to block specific threads from "My Posts" and "View New Content" would ever return.

Are you also saying that the ability to block whole forums might not be possible after the upgrade?

I recently inquired about this issue in another thread, and you indicated that it was unlikely that the ability to block specific threads from "My Posts" and "View New Content" would ever return.

Are you also saying that the ability to block whole forums might not be possible after the upgrade?

You're right, I was confusing blocking threads with blocking specific forums. I'm talking about blocking forums. It looks like the author who created this modification is no longer writing and maintaining mods, so I'm not sure the ability to block forums is going to come back either. Apparently he did convert the mod for IP.Board 3.1.x, but it doesn't apparently work with the Sphinx search engine, which we're using here. Since the author is no longer supporting his mods, it's unlikely he's ever going to update the mod again. So, if we want this functionality here, I'd have to write it myself.

..Al

Mr. AA...Is this in readiness for M$'s blazingly superfast i.e 9

or just go keep googlechrome users happy

This has absolutely nothing to do with web browsers, much less IE9 (which I frankly couldn't care less about--people still use Internet Explorer?) It's about upgrading the forum to the latest version, which brings various improvements and fixes to the forum.

..Al

I have mixed feelings on the new status updates. It's very facebook wall-like (which is fine) but seems to be a cross between chat and the forums. I worry that something useful may get posted and a full discussion entails. Would status updates be archived and searchable? If so, would it be possible to lump them in with a forum search so users won't have to search once in the forums then again for the status updates? Also, would there be an easy way for a moderator to convert a status update into a forum thread if it seemed like a good candidate?

Another thing, I was looking at this link and saw the "Recent Actions" thing on the side. Would there be any way to hide that? It seems really useless and ugly to me. Nobody reads that, do they? :lol:

The thing I love about status updates is it gives us another avenue to post trivial things without cluttering up the forums. :)

I have mixed feelings on the new status updates. It's very facebook wall-like (which is fine) but seems to be a cross between chat and the forums. I worry that something useful may get posted and a full discussion entails. Would status updates be archived and searchable? If so, would it be possible to lump them in with a forum search so users won't have to search once in the forums then again for the status updates? Also, would there be an easy way for a moderator to convert a status update into a forum thread if it seemed like a good candidate?

Those are interesting ideas, especially being able to search the status updates and being able to convert selected updates into a forum thread. I'm sure people have requested the ability to search, so I imagine Invision will add that soon. Converting status updates into a forum thread is a bit more work and I'm not sure we'll see that as a standard feature, but perhaps someone will make an appropriate mod.

Another thing, I was looking at this link and saw the "Recent Actions" thing on the side. Would there be any way to hide that? It seems really useless and ugly to me. Nobody reads that, do they? :lol:

That side bar is also used on profile pages (but only when viewing the "Recent Status Updates" tab). It could be taken out easily enough, but I'll leave it in since the fewer features I modify in the skins, the easier it is for me to maintain several forum skins as well as perform upgrades down the road.

http://community.invisionpower.com/user/155841-fire-man/

The thing I love about status updates is it gives us another avenue to post trivial things without cluttering up the forums. :)

It is interesting, and it will be more interesting to see what happens once we have the ability to reply to specific statuses and maintain a running history of them.

..Al

Keep up the good work Al! You're doing a great job here :)

Encouragement will not be tolerated. After the forum is upgraded, violations will be dealt with using electrical shocks through the keyboard and mouse. It's a technique developed by elite hackers and now it's available to any webmaster who can afford to pay for the forum software.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I have not had a lot of time to work on forum upgrade in the last two weeks. :( But I do have a plan to get back to it starting early next week, and I should be able to get it wrapped up in a week's time once I do so. I'm really eager to get the forum over to the latest version.

..Al

I'm really eager to get the forum over to the latest version.

Just in time for the next upgrade that will be incompatible with all of the work you had to do for this upgrade. You might want to save time and create your own forum software. It might end up being less work. :D

I'm really eager to get the forum over to the latest version.

Just in time for the next upgrade that will be incompatible with all of the work you had to do for this upgrade. You might want to save time and create your own forum software. It might end up being less work. :D

The big problem with the upgrades is the forum skin, which is a royal pain in the neck to update. They do have a new tool that lets you "merge" changes in the skin, but I tried it out and it failed abysmally. However, it should work properly when going to newer versions in the future. The next "significant" version will be 3.2, which they are currently working on and will probably be out before the end of the year. That should be less painful to upgrade to, though. I hope. :D

As time goes on, modifications to the actual software are getting easier to work with, as most new modifications are in the form of "hooks" or "applications" that are installed in the software, as opposed to directly modifying source code. Depending on the changes that take place between versions, these hooks and applications sometimes work, and if not, you can easily disable them until they are updated. Sometimes Invision adds new features to the forum that cancel out existing mods, which is going to be the case with the "My Posts", which is a mod I wrote some time ago. That's one less thing for me to have to worry about "merging" in the future. :)

Once the upgrade is complete, I plan on writing some nice mods myself, and making them available publicly to other forum owners.

..Al

• Like 1