IGNORED

Bought a Turbografx 16: What should I get for it?

Lendorien

So, I just got a TurboGrafx 16 for fairly cheap. I have no games for it yet. Any suggestions on what to buy? I'm afraid that I don't have a lot of money to spend on it right now, so I'll only be able to get a couple games. Any suggestions?

Edited by Lendorien

I can't play imports yet, but here are some US games that I have and enjoy:

Galaga '90 - Possibly the best game on the system.

Legendary Axe & Legendary Axe II - Sweet hack n' slash action with awesome music.

Ninja Spirit - Cheap ninja-based fun. It's a hack n' slash game like Ninja Gaiden but with some shootery elements.

Splatterhouse - Another hack n' slash game, but much more gross than the others.

Power Golf - Pretty good golf game with great music.

Bonk's Adventure - Sweet platformer.

Bonk's Revenge - Sweet platformer with better graphics.

Blazing Lazers - One of the cheapest shmups on the system.

Alien Crush - Crazy pinball game.

Devil's Crush - Another crazy pinball game.

Bloody Wolf - Rambo-style run n' gun.

Dungeon Explorer - Gauntlet with RPG elements

Neutopia - Blatant Legend of Zelda ripoff, but a good one.

Military Madness - Turn-based futuristic military strategy.

There are other good games, but that's a start, and none of those games is terribly expensive. If you do the region mod, take some pictures of it and send them my way, so that I can write up a how-to article for my website. I'll give you photo-credit.

Chris

Chris

• Like 1

Some great suggestions already that I'll reaffirm and some others off the top of my head I'd consider must haves for the system:

Galaga 90

Legendary Axe (boaf a 'dem)

Devils Crush

Alien Crush

World Class Baseball

Takin' It To The Hoop

R-Type

Blazing Lazers

Military Madness

Ninja Spirit

Splatterhouse (I may get flamed for this, but I always considered this game a kiddie type vid. Too easy/simplistic really. I do like it however).

Power Golf

Aero Blasters

Bomberman (either of 'em)

Dragon Spirit

Sinistron

Super Star Soldier

Raiden

...Bonk's Adventure(s), Air Zonk, Magical Chase may all be good games, but are even obviously more kiddie like - your mileage/taste may vary. I wouldn't pay the outrageous prices some of these titles are fetching though. Same with trying to track down a CD unit for the system. More great shooters & Dracula X come to mind if you really want to get one though. The PC Engine import of Street Fighter II kicks ass too, but good luck finding a 6-button controller for the system. Two buttons is still fun, but the cost is kinda prohibitive just to play Street Fighter on TG-16. Guess it all boils down to your budget and how long your personal WOW factor lasts.

Try some out in emulation first before you drop a ton of cash.

Definitely do this. The TG16 is one of the pricier systems to collect for, so you don't want to drop coin on games that you end up not liking. Magic Engine is a great emulator.

Chris

Funny, I've been doing the same thing since I scored my TurboDuo, only I've been test-driving (and by test-driving, I mean halfway through Neutopia) my games with TurboEngine - it was honestly the first emulator I tried and it gave me no grief.

My favorite game is Battle Royal the wrestling game. Boink 1 and 2 is good and go cheap on Ebay. Battle royal goes for 15 dollars. Taking It To The Hoop is a great basket ball game. Blazing Lazer is also a great game. Fire Pro Wrestling is a great import game. I like both.

Thanks for the great responses. I have to admit that this is the first time I've actually played any TG16 games. I'm quite impressed by the 4 or 5 suggestions I tried in an emulator (Used Ootake instead of Magic as I don't wanna pay money. :P).

It's really a shame that the system didn't get the support it should have. It had some amazing titles.

I really like Devil's Crush. I've had a soft spot for pinball games for ages.

Blazing Lasers is a pretty good shmup too. It makes me sad that the platform didn't really take off in the states.

As for getting a cd-rom drive... maybe some day.

I'm not collecting seriously for the TG16, so dropping serious cash is not what I'm looking to do. It's a shame that the TG16 is so hard to collect for.

Edited by Lendorien

I love mine. I like the Hue Cards/Turbo Chip Cards they made. Hudson original called them Bee Cards. They were made for the MSX computers by Mitsubishi Plastics Inc. The Hue Cards have 38 pins and Bee Cards have 32 pins. They were also thicker. They were so popular that Hudson did a prototype board with custom chips on it. They wanted a game machine built around the technology. They just needed finical backing to mass produce it. it just happen that NEC wanted to jump into the video game market. They were the best company in Japan. They made the first computers phone radios etcc.... They was going to call Husand But Hudson called them first.

They had the first CD ROM game machine. It would not work with out the Hue card unit. The CD card allowed you to cheat like a game shark. It had a memory unit built in to save you game progress. The Hue card unit had a booster that allowed red white and blue composite wires to be used for a better picture and to save your game. The Cd's had cut scenes and had long and beautiful game play. The graphics was great to. The Hue card is 16 bit graphics but 8 bit game play. It used 2 custom chips compared to Nintendo's custom chip built on one board. Some times certain games used the sound chip for to get some unique game play effects. They made a microphone and karaoke machine to go under it. it played Cd's and had built in graphics for that.

Nintendo saw it in 86 3 years after the Famicom came out. They just asked what are you doing. Making a game machine. NEC just said it a karaoke machine that plays a few games on Hue Cards. which was true because a CD game was not finished yet. Then they saw it again at the biggest video game show in the day. A precursor to E3. When Nintendo was finally away they only allowed the press in. They was shocked to see a game on CD. They was just one draw back the loading times on the CD was long. Especially the cut scenes. Nintendo called NEC and asked for parts to buy to make Famicom machines. See Nintendo used them to supply parts for the game systems like chips etccc...... NEC kindly said no. Were in the video business now.

Nintendo then herd of the CD game and a few Hue card games. NEC and Hudson quickly signed all the video game company's to a contract to make games. Namco was first. Nintendo called all the developers and said we need to redo your contracts. They did not want them to make games for the machine. They was shocked to learn about the contracts. That why back in the day a game on their machine was not on another machine. They made the company's sign contracts to their advantage. Both machine had great games though. They also made them sign contracts to state that if NEC brought it to any where in the world they would not make games for it except Japan. Because the had already signed contracts for that. The willingly signed because that they had all the money in the Famicom plus Nintendo System's around the world. Plus they never thought NEC would allow it made outside Japan. NEC when asked about that said no. It was never going to be sold anywhere but Japan. They were testing the waters so to speak.

Then came Sega. They had made a machine in Europe called the Sega Mark 1. It was a Atari clone. It did very well. NEC gave them a tour of the plant were the PC Engine was made. The places the made it wanted one NEC said no way. Workers wanted one for their kids. The put the CD out at a 700 dollars. A hefty price tag at the time. The Hue Card machine at 250 dollars. 30 more dollars cheaper than the Famicom. The gamble paid off. Japan never wanted a cartage again. They sold enough CD machines to get by. The PC Engine was small but compact. It was the size of a portable CD player but a little smaller. So to avoid a law suit the quickly bought the rights to use the dpad. But made it different. It looked like it was not finished being cut out yet. So Nintendo could not say they riped them off. Turned the start into run and kept the select button. Change The 2 button's were called 1 and 2. Nintendo had a arcade stick with rapid fire built in. They also built one. But also put rapid fire on the stander controller's. The machines had one controller shipped with the machine. But you could unplug them unlike the Famacom in Japan.

They did a heavily add and market campaign. And also had great research and market development. They found out what appealed to people. They even asked ordinary people what they dislike and like about their games and machines. They liked the games made for the Japan market only the best. It appealed to their culture and beliefs. Before Nintendo came along got a lot of games based of movies and ideas from other country's. They really liked the games that was just made for Japan only. It was created by the Japanese to appeal to them. It had their ideas and taste. Example in Segas Alex In Miracle World it has a man eating out of boiled cabbage his rice and food. In the American game he eats something else. Why we would not understand that or got the reference.

Before Nintendo was Atari, Intellvision, and the Gpec 32 a Emerson Arcadia 2001 clone. The Gpec left the most lasting expression on them because of the games were just for them. They were Japan exclusives with what they really wanted. Nintendo did a few games like that but most were able to be played anywhere. Sega quickly made a few games for the PC Engine. They made a lot of cash. NEC knew how to advertise and deliver a product that people wanted in games and machines. Husdon knew the American market. Nintendo had no competition. Because Atari had released a old game machine that was put out right as the video game crashed acquired. 200 was sold at Toys R Us back in the day. They released it because of Nintendo machine. It had great games and was a great machine. But compared to the Nintendo was outdated. But it played more games because it played the 2600 games.

Husdon knew the 7800 was not selling well but enough to fill the void. It's just Americans wanted Nintendo graphics and game play plus they loved that robot that came with the machine. Atari had game contracts because of it computers systems that sold really well. Also they had contracts dating back to the 2600. the 7800 was a great machine. It even used a few computers products rebuilt for it like the light guns.

Husond said the time was right to go oversees and compete with Nintendo. NEC agreed. But had a big problem. The contracts said the games were made for the Japanese market only. They redid their contracts. Most would not because they signed with Nintendo a kept their word. But Namco and a few others got around that some how. The first game they released was PAC Land. Most told NEC of the contracts they signed with Nintendo. And also said when asked if you would sell out side of Japan you sad no. England is begging for it because of a factory you got over their.

NEC promised Husond and a new company Working Designers control of the American market. They went to America and showed it at the biggest video game show. America made them change it due to interference and a few small issues it had. As they was working on the redesigned Sega that had released Master System promised the American market a new machine. Sega was smart. the released it all over the whole world. Cloned the Hue Card. NEC knew the Japan market. Cartoons showed PC Engine adds. They broke down Japan into sections. researched the lay out of each sections. Had the proper displays in the stores. Sold a little more than the Famicom ever did. But did not understand any other place in the world.

The did a redesigned and made the white PC Engine black and had 2 model's. Also redesigned the CD unit. The reason was it could be made cheaper to sell. Plus had better loading times. Plus the Hue Card unit could sell for the same as Nintendo unit in American. Nintendo realized their costly mistake and made more of the type of games that Japan liked. to sell more units. It worked they sold almost just as much as NEC. It was war.

Sega needed money real quick. They finally sold to Tonka toy company to mass produce the Master System in America plus help the debt the had from the Mark 1. Also they had some debt because of realizing the Master System into a few countries that had it. Tonka just did not understand video games. at all. The made few quick changes to the unit redesigned it. Made a cool gun light gun for it. D glasses yes D glasses they was first to release it for a game machine. Not Sony. A steering wheel that was cool. Did they sell well in Japan? Yes and no. Japan had 3 video games machines. Sega was last in place. NEC was in first place but not by much because Nintendo caught back up. Plus the may have had a bad year and a half in Japan but made up for it because sells around around.

In America they was king. On TV every show talked about Nintendo. News talked about the video game boom. Atari released the Lynx the best hand held ever. Nintendo released the Game boy. Answer me this. How did black and white kill color. How did Nintendo win that war. Sega came in like a flood. They were like Nintendo. Had a huge library of arcade games behind them. Some developer's did not jump on board because of the contracts with Nintendo. Sega and Nintendo had a war. But not at first. It was a little verbal talk. Atari made games on Nintendo and bypassed the lock out chip. Nintendo sued. Jack was upset he passed on the Nintendo machine. He thought games were dead over here. Only computer games would sell. and boy did they ever. But the timing was right for a new machine. We played what ever was left over from the crash.

Nintendo made developers sign contracts for 8 games only. Some got around that by changing the name of a few group of people in the company like Konmia did with ultra. Nintendo knew it but did not say a word about it. They stooped what happened in the early 80's you asked permission. They help you with technical issues. They did things like a developer's kit. They did things right. But also did things to hurt Atari like contracts stating games for them could not be on the computers and various game machines. They made stores put their display stands out where they wonted. Example Atari could not haver their display in front of Nintendo's. You had to put the others away from them or their displays was first Atari was second Sega was third if they was side by by side.

Nintendo had a buy back options. Some stores sold Nintendo only because of that. Some sold Nintendo plus Atari. Some sold All 3. It was according to what sold well. Tonka did the best the could but Sega never felt they put their hart and soul behind it. NEC made the Turbo Grafix black. It really was a PC Engine. Just longer and the wires stretched out. The biggest challenge was the CD unit. It was finally decide to put in in the back. EMG heavily covered the PC Engine and praised it for coming over here. CNN and other shows did reports the unit. Only because of it's technology. The media covered the game machines well back then. A tech show on PBS showed it off and praised it as well. But because of the contracts had very few games for it. It was sold at Circuity City, Sears's, Badges, Eb, Radio Shack. Sadly most stores had Nintendo, plus Sega or Atari. Nintendo went to work on a new machine called the Super Nintendo. Sega worked on Genies.

NEC in Japan Worked on 6 different controllers and redesigns tp make the CD unit cheaper and have better graphics. All though you could not notice them. It also worked on the loading times. It came to America a few months latter at a price tag of 399.99. No pack in game. It was a portable CD player but had no way of being one because of no battery compartment. It need to be plugged in the CD holder for it to work. A few music CD,s had videos on them that only worked in the Turbo CD unit. exclusive music videos. NEC final started releasing games and machines all over the whole world. A little to late. Only Europe made them a lot of cash. Because of the factory over there. NEC made the first wireless controllers in the 8 bit era. A TV for Japan only that popped up and was used exclusive for the PC Engine. NEC based the American market on their success in Japan. It was a failure. What worked in Japan did not work over here. They never let Husond and Working Designer have the full range of control as promised. Although Keith Apla Courage was a good game it did not show the machine Capability's. It had 14 different shaped controller's in Japan and great technology but the games was lacking in America but not Japan. those 500 games were great.

Sega released the Genesis and Nintendo released the Super. Nintendo also went to court with 3 developers including Atari for by passing the lock out chip. Remember the infomerical Hulk Hogan was on playing and advertising games for the Nintendo. Made by Bunch games. They also got the Atari versions of Teteris stopped. 5 great things came out of that lawsuit. Nintendo's tricks got exposed. Any game could be realized on any system, Nintendo's files got to be public, game company's could make games for any system they wished, and they could make any number of games for each systems. Nintendo changed their policy's. So they would have just as many games a sega. Nintendo had Mario as a mascot. Sega changed mascots to a hedgehog Named Sonic. NEC finally had one as well. A comic book came out in PC Engine monthly called PC Genjin He defeated King Drool and saved his princes. So they made a game off of it. The games came slowly. They went to work on a new machine to compete with the Supper Nintendo and Sega Genesis. It was called a Supper Grafix. It also only had 7 games made for it. It's enhancements were 4 times of ram work for the CPU, a second chip with its on video ram, a priority controller chip that controls both chips and has them work together in various ways. 2 independently scrolling back ground layers. It software was 110 us dollars. but it can work and play every game NEC had so it has 700 titles for it. It was shaped like a car engine.

It released the Turbo Duo to compete with Nintendo and Sega. It is basically a Turbo Grafix with the CD built in one unit with Supper System Bios. It was released in Japan as 2 different models. One middle released had head phone jack and a locking door the other did not. The American unit had K ram on the mother board. It cost 299. The CD unit was reduced to 150 in price. It offered a card that turned it into a Duo. By making have K of ram. They also used Johnny Turbo advertise the machine. Sega released the Sega CD to compete with Duo. Nintendo went with Sony to prototype a machine the left Sony for the ill fated Phillips CDI. They thought Philip's would really help them out. Plus they created the first video games in America. The machine was a failure. Costing Phillips up to a billion dollars in losses. At least that what was reported. No CD machine for Nintendo. Johnny made fun of Sega stopping kids from buying the SEGA CD. But in the comic adds Sega was named FEKA. Johhny claimed the console could not work alone. sega never said it could. NEC Started TTI. They put the DUO on every TV show they could. Advertised on nickelodeon. Put a 2 hour video out showing the DUO. Gamers said make games for it. Developer's said no!!!! They don't buy games for it. They mostly took Hue Card games and remde them into CD games.

Finally the had a new mascot. Air Zoink. The best game ever. Boinks cousin in the future. It was a shump. It played like Blazing Lazer's. He flew like Supper Man. It had the best graphics great game play. But it did not help the system. They released the game Fighting Street. Nintendo was angry. It had the exclusive rights to see the game on their console first. Sega a few months later. Capcom said you do this is Fighting Street. It was made before Street Fighter. It sold 30 thousand CD units. They made people by the CD unit just for that game. It was almost like the arcade but a few graphics missing and smaller sprites. At the same time Atari had the Jaguar and CD unit. 3DO also Had a CD unit. But 3 different prices. Because the allowed 3 company's make the machine. Sony showed a prototype of the Playstation and the graphics. The game was Ridge Racer. They also showed a early build of Battle Arena Toshiden. Sega cam out with the Sega Saturn.

NEC was more scared of the DO than any thing and quickly pulled out of the American market. They also said the knew the American market better than we did. They passed on Mortal Combat for the CD unit. Why? They said Americans are sick of fighting games and RPG'S. The last game for the DUO was Madden Football.It was the best version I've ever seen . It was sold on the web site Turbo Zone Direct and still is sold on the new site bought by a scum bucket. don't buy from him.

NEC was not done yet though. They released the Shuttle in Japan. It was sold to children who did not know who to use the PC Engine. It was shaped like a space shuttle. It has also been cloned. They released the ultra rare Vista. It looked like a beautiful cable box. It is the best looking system I have ever seen and I want one. Over 900 games total.

Then NEC released their last console ever. It looked like A computer CPU. Just like we have now. It's name is PC-FX. It was a 32 bit system that failed. It had great full motion video though.

I said all that to said this. I studied the history of NEC and Gaming. They have won mutiple awards for their contributions to video gaming. If the market back then would have been a Fair playing filed. They could have been the best video game machine of all time. They was the Xbox in the 8 bit day. Had it all but lost it all with stupid business decisions. Plus Nintendo did not help the situation any. They was the Atari of Japan. They still make games for the machine right now as I type. So I'll tell my opinion. Because this thread is my opinion. It is the 5Th greatest game machine of all time. Atari 2600 first. Atari Jaguar second. PS third. Intellvision 4Th. PC Engine aka Turbo Grafix 5Th.

The US stuff has been well covered, but Military Madness is still one of the best strategy games ever made. Love that game. Silent Debuggers is a great, underappreciated FPS. Creepy too.

But get a CD drive. It's region free, and as long as you have the right card (which can get pricey for the System 3.0 needed to play SuperCD games, but it's a one time expense), you can play hundreds of import games. This system was crazy popular overseas, and the import games are often staggeringly good.

A few imports I like:

Dracula X: This thing is a work of art. Hardcore, beautiful, non linear, and classic CV at it's finest. It's legendary for a reason.

Macross Eternal Love Saga: Remember Robotech? How about an awesome Strategy game where you command Veritechs and the SDF against the Zentradi/Zentran, all with great cut scenes and music

Salamander & Gradius: A+ conversions of A+ shooters.

Sapphire: Another (really damn rare) shooter (get the repro) that is outstanding. Looks like a Playstation era game. Needs the fairly cheap Arcade Card to play though.

Mad Stalker: Awesome mech based brawler that's tough as nails. Really damned fun. Also takes the arcade card.

Populous: One of the best versions of this excellent game. It's still as fun as ever.

Lots more where that came from.

I told the history of the machine. I like studying the history of things. I just said it was the XBox of it's day. How Nintendo screwed them and Atari with catch 22 and contracts. Just told the history of it. Just told of the different version's of the machines and some of the stupid decision's NEC made.

I was sleepy when I wrote it. I spelled some words wrong.

Edited by NBC

If you want to know anything about the pc engine (and variants) lendorien, you won't go far wrong in asking either jboypacman or wcw mark

Very true. Jboyand I bump into each other a lot over on pcenginefx.com

In fact, if you are interested in the tg16/pce, trhat is the forum to be on. Nice folks too.

I told the history of the machine. I like studying the history of things. I just said it was the XBox of it's day. How Nintendo screwed them and Atari with catch 22 and contracts. Just told the history of it. Just told of the different version's of the machines and some of the stupid decision's NEC made.

I suggest taking some No-Doze before attempting such a long post again. Informative, yes, but it's hard to believe that someone who knows so much about NEC and the TurboGrafx would misspell some of the things you did.

Hudson, not Husand, Husdon, or Husond.

HuCard, not Hue Card.

TurboGrafx, not Turbo Grafix.

Bonk, not Boink.

Air Zonk, not Air Zoink.

There are other minor misspellings, but if you're going to talk about the TG-16, these are pretty big ones to misspell. I actually thought for a bit that Husand was a different company and Googled it to see if there was such an entity. No dice. I agree, there is some great information in there for someone who hasn't done research themselves, but it's just hard to read.

I'm really not trying to be an ass, but... well... wake up dude!

• Like 2

I suggest taking some No-Doze before attempting such a long post again. Informative, yes, but it's hard to believe that someone who knows so much about NEC and the TurboGrafx would misspell some of the things you did.

Hudson, not Husand, Husdon, or Husond.

HuCard, not Hue Card.

TurboGrafx, not Turbo Grafix.

Bonk, not Boink.

Air Zonk, not Air Zoink.

There are other minor misspellings, but if you're going to talk about the TG-16, these are pretty big ones to misspell. I actually thought for a bit that Husand was a different company and Googled it to see if there was such an entity. No dice. I agree, there is some great information in there for someone who hasn't done research themselves, but it's just hard to read.

I'm really not trying to be an ass, but... well... wake up dude!

I think he already got the message that his writing was a bit off. Seriously. Let it go. Stuff like this is just trolling.

In any case, any PC engine games I should look for? Japanese ones, that is?

Edited by Lendorien