IGNORED

Activision Anthology Grand Challenge

Tempest

Has anyone unlocked every patch, commerical, and play mode in the new Activision Anthology? I'm attempting to do so and I'm about half way there (just got all four Starmaster patches tonight). I think it would be cool to have a contest to see who can do it first (just for bragging rights I suppose).

One thing I can't figure out is what unlocks some of the play modes. Sometimes it seems to be a very high score and other times it seems to be random. I've tried everything to unlock Cosmic Commuter and Skiing's play modes with no luck.

Tempest

Has anyone unlocked every patch, commerical, and play mode in the new Activision Anthology?  I'm attempting to do so and I'm about half way there (just got all four Starmaster patches tonight).  I think it would be cool to have a contest to see who can do it first (just for bragging rights I suppose).

One thing I can't figure out is what unlocks some of the play modes.  Sometimes it seems to be a very high score and other times it seems to be random.  I've tried everything to unlock Cosmic Commuter and Skiing's play modes with no luck.  

Tempest

Ditto. I'll be damned if I can figure out what constitutes an unlock on Barnstorming, Sky Jinks, or Skiing.

Has anyone unlocked every patch, commerical, and play mode in the new Activision Anthology?  I'm attempting to do so and I'm about half way there (just got all four Starmaster patches tonight).  I think it would be cool to have a contest to see who can do it first (just for bragging rights I suppose).

One thing I can't figure out is what unlocks some of the play modes.  Sometimes it seems to be a very high score and other times it seems to be random.  I've tried everything to unlock Cosmic Commuter and Skiing's play modes with no luck.  

Tempest

I would attempt this if I could spend 18 hrs a day playing ;)

I think Tempest will be the first to unlock all the codes. But whoever it is, I think it would be great to compile a list to see what it takes to unlock all the different locations. I don't think I will be able to unlock some of them since I am not good enough with some of the games but it would be nice to know what to shoot for.

Good luck Tempest :)

I unlocked a bunch of patches and got a lot of the commercials for the "earlier" games 1981-82. One thing that would have made this game perfect would be the ability to enter and save high scores...oh well.

Some games are brutal, I played laser blast for about 20 minutes and all I got was a patch. (man I hate that game).

One things for sure, this is the best emulated ATARI compilation I've ever seen on a console. A definite must have.

I'm pretty close to unlocking everything, I still need:

Skiing: Play mode?

Barnstorming: Patch (even though I qualified it gave me the commercial only!)

Gran Prix: Patch (I suck at this!)

Spider Fighter: Patch (Even though I qualified!)

Starmaster: Play mode?

Crackpots: Play mode?

Decathlon: Silver patch (I unlocked the gold with the pole vault bug)

Cosmic Commuter: Play mode?

HERO: Play mode?

River Raid 2: Play mode?

Anyone know how to unlock these?

Tempest

Or even GameCube is reasonable... for some reason I like the GC... but I have an strange grudge againsed Sony for some reason... probably because if anyone is going to sink my beloved XBox it will be Sony, not Nintendo... and I just can't give money to the company that will more than likely do that.

Or even GameCube is reasonable... for some reason I like the GC... but I have an strange grudge againsed Sony for some reason... probably because if anyone is going to sink my beloved XBox it will be Sony, not Nintendo... and I just can't give money to the company that will more than likely do that.

Just like Nintendo ended Atari's ten year domination of the video game industy (back in 1985 which would you rather have had: a 7800 or a Nintendo or later on a Super Nintendo or Jaguar??), it makes perfect sense that someone will ultimately kill off Nintendo. Personally, I'd rather it be Sony than the juggernaut that is Microsoft. It's simply the natural order of the video game industry.[/i]

It sucks soooo much that this is only a PS2 deal... I want to play this a great deal, but I can't justify buying a PS2 just for it.

You could sign up and try to win a Sony Playstation2. There is a contest going on right now. Here is the address to sign up:

http://208.251.6.166/signin.asp

Good luck! :)

Tempest,

I just got a few more patches notably the Crackpots patch. I am begining to notice that some games require you to score a lot of points while others only require a low number of points. Pretty odd.

I'm begining to wonder if there is a website or something that lists everything that is on this DVD, hopefully someone will do a FAQ and post it on Gamefaqs.com

That was weird with the Space Shuttle patches. Tempest was right when he mentioned that they are pretty much given to you without you having to do much. The same thing for Private Eye level 3. It is given to you without you having to do much.

I wish a few other games were like this. There are some games that I am not any good at and will probably never see any of the added features.

I think they did that on purpose. That is part of the challenge. To figure out what you need to do to unlock certain features. I did manage to unlock the Spider Fighter Patch but Tempest has tried to do what I indicated and it did not work for him so it must have been something else that I was just lucky to stumble on.

I'm going to play Boxing as soon as I hit "submit." Some of these patches ARE really easy -- Pitfall running to the left is waaaay too simple. Starmaster isn't bad either. I'm going to keep my eye on GameFAQS for more on this game. :wink:

And Cupcakus, console war or not, you really need a PS2. It's the 2600 of the present. Can't play REZ on anything else ... well, except the Dreamcast. Can't play VF4 on anything else .....

Last night I sat down with Activision Anthology and committed myself to attempting something I hadn't tried since the early 80s, scoring 1,000,000 in Laser Blast. Last time I tried I got to 500,000 or so points and then Michael Jackson's Thriller came on the radio and screwed my rhythm all to hell.

The game patch unlocks at 10,000. The 1,000,000 patch unlocks at 100,000. There is a commercial that unlocks as well. For me it unlocked after a particularly horrid game where I only scored 2,700.

Anyway, I can now proudly say that I finally beat game variation 4. After a VERY LOOONG game (I never used pause), the score turned all into exclamation points after I killed one more enemy past the 999,990 mark.

Dragster just seems to give the patch for free. I have yet to even get off the start line in that game.

I've already got the stuff unlocked for Seaquest. Damn, if I had known that game was that much fun I would have definitely tried to get it back in the day.

Spider Fighter is being elusive for me too. But I think Spider Fighter kicks ass, so I'll keep trying. Its another game I wish I had gotten way back when.

Kaboom has unlocks at 150 or so (commercial) and 300 (patch). This is good because I was never very proficient at the original and the emulated version is basically unplayable. Get your bucket in the corner for a second and then try to move it out, you'll see what I mean.

Freeway unlocks a patch if you play difficulty 7 and get 10 points. I don't know how you unlock the commercial.

I have several other things unlocked. I can't seem to get anything unlocked for the race type games though.

As good as the Activision anthology is, it seems that the patch system was not given too much thought. Some are just way too easy to get and others are very difficult. I hope that they eventually print out a list of what is required to do what but given how long the activision anthology site has been down, I am not going to hold my breath.

For Fishing Derby, just beat the computer player. This unlocks Distortion Mode.

For Skiing, the commercial unlocks with a time of 38 seconds or so on game 1. The activision ski team patch unlocks on game 3 with a time of 36 seconds or so.

For Ice Hockey, the commercial unlocks when you score 4 points on game 1. The All Star Hockey patch unlocks when you can defeat the computer on game 1. Ice Hockey rocks, BTW.

For Spider Fighter I got the patch. This is what I think happens: the last two digits of your score (tens and ones digits) have to match the current minutes on the PS2 clock. My score was 4520, and after letting the game sit on attract mode for a while, I got the patch. I went to look at the PS2 clock after a couple of minutes and it read 2:22. There's my theory on the matter.