IGNORED

bB Super Mario phase 1 complete

jbs30000

default.bas.bin

OK, I finally completed the first step in making a bB Super Mario Bros game. Horizontal scrolling.

I couldn't figure out how to use vblank to stop the occasional screen flicker because when I played with it it caused non-stop scrolling.

So, anyway, if you're interested then start the game, press the fire button, and hold the joystick to the right and the screen will scroll through world 1-1 (the only level I'm going to do in this game).

Yeah, the graphics aren't great, and I had to take out the clouds and background plants so it's just ground, pipes or stairs, and blocks. The hollow blocks are the power up blocks and if I could work with a better screen resolution would have question marks in them. So the solid blocks are blocks that just break apart when giant Mario hits them.

Although I ran into a whole slew of strange problems, like a rem line being too long causing the compiler to crash, this was probably the easiest part. I still have to put in code to move Mario, place and move enemies, be able to detect if he hits a block with a mushroom or something else in it, and so on. It's going to be tough to make a working game, but I have some ideas I'll try. Fingers crossed everybody.

Looks great so far, although there's a couple of problems. First, on the title screen Mario moves faster than the screen. Second, what's with the flashing?

1. The title screen isn't part of the game.

2. The flashing has to do with the scrolling. There's a command I mentioned called vblank which is supposed to help, but when I tried using it I had problems. When I add Mario they'll be less flicker because just pushing the joystick right won't automatically scroll. Mario will have to be at the far right of the screen and not have a pipe or steps in front of him before the screen scrolls.