IGNORED

The Last Word 4: Disk or Cart?

flashjazzcat

Cart or disk?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Last Word 4.0 reside on...

• A cartridge
    • A disk

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Doesn't anybody use cassettes anymore? ;)

Nope - nor 300 baud modems. I love my little Atari, but with 60K/sec disc transfers and 9600 baud modems I have no patience for such stuff.

I often load from cassette when I'm testing tapes before creating .cas images. The tones from the TV take me right back to my childhood when I used to sit patiently and wait 20 minutes for Bounty Bob Strikes Back to load from tape.

Err, yeah thinking about it I'm with you Stephen :D

Nope - nor 300 baud modems. I love my little Atari, but with 60K/sec disc transfers and 9600 baud modems I have no patience for such stuff.

I often load from cassette when I'm testing tapes before creating .cas images. The tones from the TV take me right back to my childhood when I used to sit patiently and wait 20 minutes for Bounty Bob Strikes Back to load from tape.

The first game I ever got for the 8 bit was Salmon Run on cassette. I later also got Legionnaire on cassette. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

The first game I ever got for the 8 bit was Salmon Run on cassette. I later also got Legionnaire on cassette. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Well in the case of BBSB I wasn't exagerating. Seriously, pick up a copy of the US Gold release or the Americana rerelease on tape and time it ;)

I agree that some games load a lot faster. Both of the titles you mention require only 16K machines so I guess there was less data to load than BBSB which needed a 64Kb machine.

The biggest fun was when you'd get to the 1 minute to go stage (the US Gold release had a handy count down timer) and then the magic words would appear on the screen "Load Error". AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGG :x :x :x

EDIT: You're right !!! Just tried BBSB and the countdown is only 14 mins! So plus the inital loader that's 15 minutes not 20. Guess my memory was playing tricks. Still if you asked my kids to wait 15 minutes for a PS3 or Wii game to load there would be a revolution :D

Edited by spookt

• 3 months later...