IGNORED

Juno First 2k

atari2600land

Here's something interesting: Juno First for the 2600 was 32k. I'm trying to squeeze it into 2k just for fun. I'm not going to enter it into the 2010 Minigame Compo because I've already got two 2k entries! Here's what I have so far. Kudos goes to Mike Rideout (aka SeaGtGruff) for making the scrolling code a long time ago (had to search the forums a while to find it.) So, what do you think?

junofirst2k.bas

junofirst2k.bin

I noticed the enemy always appears on the right edge of the screen. Is this how it is supposed to be?

I don't know why that is happening. If you look in the code, I used "(rand/2)+12" which I thought would get a number between 12 and 139.

Think I found the problem. You have in h_g_1:

player1x=(rand/2)+12

I think it should be:

player0x=(rand/2)+12

That was the only place I could find that line in your code. Hope this helps.

If I download your latest source it won't compile. Think it's over 2K.

Here's some bugs I've noticed, but not totally sure how I triggered them:

1. Enemy all the way on right side, I shot, he killed me, my shot appeared OUTSIDE the background to the right in the black area

---- EDIT: I can trigger this every time. Fire before you get killed. Your missile moves to the outside right.

- After enemy dies, there's a few yellow dots at the very top of the screen

Edited by yuppicide

If I download your latest source it won't compile. Think it's over 2K.

The original source wouldn't compile at 2K, either (at least not for me). I figured atari2600land might be using a customized includes file to exclude unneeded includes, like the playfield scrolling routines. When you're trying to fit a bB game inside 2K, the first thing you should look into is making a modified includes file so you can get rid of any "standard" bB routines that you won't be using in your game.

By the way, I wasn't happy with the 3D scrolling effect, so I figured out a different set of numbers that (I think) give a better-looking effect, with each row being roughly twice as tall as the previous row. With the original numbers, each row is roughly 4 lines taller than the previous row, which doesn't look as good. The new numbers produce a shorter playfield-- 31 lines total, as opposed to 41 lines total-- which makes the enemy appear above the horizon.

If it's possible to optimize the code and reclaim enough ROM, it might be nice if the enemy could be drawn so it's smaller when further away, and seems to move slower when further away, then gets larger/faster as it gets closer.

Michael