IGNORED

Poll: Who has the original heavy sixer ...

Rob Mitchell

I've never seen any of those sticks with the Atari logo on the end intact. I don't think ours lasted over a couple of weeks.

I still have one of the end stickers, but it is not on the joystick. When it fell off, I put it in careful storage. I think I'll probably glue it back on. Some Mod Podge spread real thin should do the trick.

I still have one of the end stickers, but it is not on the joystick.  When it fell off, I put it in careful storage.  I think I'll probably glue it back on.  Some Mod Podge spread real thin should do the trick.

My Atari logo joystick disk is aluminum .. not a sticker ..

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Yes, and it's rectangular and about 2 1/2 cm long and 1/2 cm wide.   ;)

Hmm .. I wonder what you have? The joystick disk I am talking about is hexagonal, 1 cm diameter, and sits on top of the stick shaft.

The one I have is the dimensions described above, but has rounded corners and has Atari written with Mt. Fuji in place of the I. It is indeed aluminum. The reason I referred to it as a sticker is because it was adhered to the joystick using a non-descript sticky substance. It sounds like we are talking about two different things. It is the one of the joysticks that game with my system, though.

The one I have is the dimensions described above, but has rounded corners and has Atari written with Mt. Fuji in place of the I.  It is indeed aluminum.

Where is it stuck to your stick? Does your stick have an indentation at the top of the stick for the hex disk? Does your stick date from 1977?

Pic?

The one I have is the dimensions described above, but has rounded corners and has Atari written with Mt. Fuji in place of the I.  It is indeed aluminum.

Where is it stuck to your stick? Does your stick have an indentation at the top of the stick for the hex disk? Does your stick date from 1977?

Pic?

My sticker is stuck on to the right of the fire button. There is an indentation at the top of my joystick and it does date from 1977 (as does the system).

I never knew there were 4-channel systems made. Wonder if they were only made for a limited area. I have 2 "heavy 6'ers" - one is channel 3 only (SN 73100J), and the other is 2 & 3 (SN 81462521). There's no sticker/marking on the bottom denoting what channel.

Does anyone have a manual that mentions having to use channel 4? The earliest system manual I have is dated 1977 and it mentions having to use channel 3.

I also noticed that the lower case molding is different between them. The channel 3-only system is actually a bit heavier! I high-lighted 2 of the more obvious ones in the following pics (the first 2 are of the channel 3-only model). Besides not having the tv channel switch, the heat sink on the daughter board is also different (red boxed area):

sys1-1.jpg

sys2-1.jpg

sys1-2.jpg

sys2-2.jpg

I also tooks some pics of the original gray ac adapter.

ps1.jpg

ps2.jpg

I've never seen the original joystick - are there any pics of it online somewhere?

I never knew there were 4-channel systems made.  Wonder if they were only made for a limited area.

The Channel 4 units were shipped to cities that have Channel 3 TV stations.

Does anyone have a manual that mentions having to use channel 4?

I doubt it .. When we returned our Ch3 unit to Sears, they exchanged the units and put our Ch3 one in a Sears Video Arcade box that was complete with all items. They said they were going to return it to Atari. I imagine Atari was busily redesigning the VCS for a ch select switch.

I also noticed that the lower case molding is different between them.  The channel 3-only system is actually a bit heavier!

Yup! The heaviest! All the heavy six switchers do not compare to our original 1977 unit!

I've never seen the original joystick - are there any pics of it online somewhere?

Doubt it .. The original 1977 sticks do not say "TOP" and have the indentation on top. Evidently Atari had trouble with the top plate (and this newly described side plate) because both were scrapped quickly.

• 2 months later...

I just scored my first H6 this week. It doesn't have a channel select switch. I don't know what channel it works on because I haven't hooked it up yet. It's in excellent shape, better than any other Atari 2600 console I own. I must say that these consoles are beautiful. Everything about them feels so solid. I particularly like the feel of the switch mechanisms. The H6 has an aesthetic that is missing in later versions.

Anyway...the S/N reads 007621. Do the leading zeros of this serial number get truncated so that the serial number is just 7621? Do the serial numbers reflect the order of manufacture?

I found my "straight six" (my own term... I don't really like "big sexy" for some reason) recently. I have other six switch units, but had no idea that this was _so_ much heavier than the rest. I think that you could probably build a balancing scale with the heavy six outweighing a four switch, vader and junior on the other side!

Mine also doesn't have the channel selector, and my SN is 67972F.

Rob, I know this is an old topic, but wasn't ALL the "Heavy-Sixers" made without a channel select switch on the bottom?

I've had a few, none have ever had a switch or even an opening for a switch.

The one I have currently is serial no. 77419E It didn't work when I bought it, so I am unable to see what channel it works on. The manual for it does say channel 3 thou. I swapped the insides out with a regular 6-switcher, so now it techincally *does* have a channel select switch, although you'd have to take it apart to change it. ;)

Also does anyone have a picture of this sticker? And the piece on the joysticks?

The Channel 4 units were shipped to cities that have Channel 3 TV stations.

I wouldn't say that . If it was a 2/3 unit, and channel 3 is used, then channel 2 will be avaialble. It's FCC requirements, you can not have two broadcast stations on ajoining channels. There has to be a minimum of one channel spacing.

Low power micro broadcasters might have ways around this, but they would also not be a signifigant interference factor unless you lived right next to the guy.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to be reviving this thread but ever since I got my Sears heavy sixer, My curiousity in this model type has peaked.

I've already posted about it but it would be nice to see if anyone else has acquired a heavy sixer since the last post in this thread.

The serial number on my heavy sixer is 30855 with a T at the end.

It's a Sears Video Arcade version though. I do know that they're probably not as popular as the 2600 heavy sixers, but they are nice in their own right.

Mine works on only one channel(no selector switch or hole for one) and it is heavy when compared to my other 2600 models. It has the rounded shape in the back and thicker case. It works like a charm and best of all, I got it for free.

Anyone else who recently got a heavy sixer care to share your info?

By the way, mine is a Sunnyvale model for sure.

• 5 years later...