IGNORED

Chuckwagon boxed?

Chris Leach

Um, did anybody notice the shipping?

Bidding starts at $250, I think any bidder that is willing to buy this for that price or above is gonna want to have better shipping than $6 can buy.

$6 for Priority Mail is very reasonable to me. Given the lightweight nature of the item, I could pack it very securely and ship it with DC for just slightly under $6 (or more if insurance is added).

Bidding starts at $250, I think any bidder that is willing to buy this for that price or above is gonna want to have better shipping than $6 can buy.

$6 for Priority Mail is very reasonable to me. Given the lightweight nature of the item, I could pack it very securely and ship it with DC for just slightly under $6 (or more if insurance is added).

That's what I was thinking. The box could be packaged in a sturdy Priority box and shipped for less than $6. Are you referring to insurance?

Is this auction yours?

Not sure what the big deal is, the shipping was declared Priority Mail. Go to www.usps.com and plug in the numbers. USPS, UPS, FedEx, they're all going to treat the package equally.

Is this auction yours?

Nope.

That's what I was thinking. The box could be packaged in a sturdy Priority box and shipped for less than $6. Are you referring to insurance?

Depending on the final value, adding insurance would increase the cost of postage, since the cost to insure is related to the declared value of the item.

Depending on the final value, adding insurance would increase the cost of postage, since the cost to insure is related to the declared value of the item.

Oh yeah, I know this, been on ebay since '99. I was actually wondering if nathanallan was saying that 6 bucks wouldn't be sufficient because of the added fee of insurance. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh yeah, I know this, been on ebay since '99. I was actually wondering if nathanallan was saying that 6 bucks wouldn't be sufficient because of the added fee of insurance. Sorry for the confusion.

I think some sellers are no longer offering insurance, but if this was my auction, I would go ahead and pay for insurance out of the auction proceeds. It would only be a few bucks against any potential damage that might happen.

ebay actually doesn't allow sellers to offer optional insurance for an additional fee anymore. I don't understand why but I rarely do with ebay anymore.

Yes, and you can thank all the a$$hole sellers that would charge inflated "insurance" fees and pocket the difference (or sometimes not even buy insurance, which happened to me twice I think). Of course, eBay is pushing their own ShipCover insurance now, and they still discuss insurance with USPS and UPS: http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/shipping-insurance.html

ebay actually doesn't allow sellers to offer optional insurance for an additional fee anymore. I don't understand why but I rarely do with ebay anymore.

eBay soon is getting into the insurance business. They will be offering insurance that is cheaper that USPS.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/shippinginsurancelabels.html

There also is insurance from shipsaver.

http://applications.ebay.com/selling?ViewEAppDetails&appType=1&appId=insurance.inkfrog.com

I haven't used either service but I would be interested in insurance cheaper than USPS offers. I typically eat the cost of insurance for the more expenseive items that I sell. I have shipped thousands of items and I am only aware of one package that has gone missing but I still feel better having insurance for an expensive item.

I think you guys are mis-understanding him. To me it sounds like he thinks shipping should cost MORE since $6 will just cover basic priority with DC. My guess is he means anyone spending $250+ dollors on something would like to have it packaged better/insurance/etc..

I think you guys are mis-understanding him. To me it sounds like he thinks shipping should cost MORE since $6 will just cover basic priority with DC. My guess is he means anyone spending $250+ dollors on something would like to have it packaged better/insurance/etc..

I don't think I'm misunderstanding him. I do think that he thinks shipping should cost MORE than $6, and I'm saying that isn't necessarily the case. Is the issue Priority Mail + DC or is it how it will be packaged? Because I can ship an extremely well packaged item that weighs under 1 pound to California (pretty much the farthest distance from me, closer zones would be cheaper) for $6.25 via PM w/ DC (or save 11 cents buying online at USPS). The added cost of insurance is something that a responsible and interested buyer should ask about in advance. As a responsible seller, I would add it just to be safe.

I'm sure before an educated collector paid, he could specify the method.

Better to make one's preferences known before even bidding through a polite inquiry to the seller; the seller is not obligated to accommodate shipping requests that alter what is in the auction description after the auction is over.

I don't think I'm misunderstanding him. I do think that he thinks shipping should cost MORE than $6, and I'm saying that isn't necessarily the case. Is the issue Priority Mail + DC or is it how it will be packaged? Because I can ship an extremely well packaged item that weighs under 1 pound to California (pretty much the farthest distance from me, closer zones would be cheaper) for $6.25 via PM w/ DC (or save 11 cents buying online at USPS). The added cost of insurance is something that a responsible and interested buyer should ask about in advance. As a responsible seller, I would add it just to be safe.

You don't need to convince me, I think $6 is fine personally. I just thought you guys misunderstood him but infact it was ME that misunderstood you guys.....and now back to our regular scheduled program ;)