IGNORED

Starting to collect! My stuff...

ydcl

Hi all,

Just started to get into the hobby of collecting classic games. I am aiming to collect mostly Atari stuff at first. Give my gallery a look and some tips and advice would be nice and welcomed.

Also, what is the best way to preserve your games?

Here is the link to my gallery:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=27292&do=view_album&album=567

Nice collection. As far as preserving your games and keeping them you can do some of the following:

Put individual games inside of sandwich baggies.

Store them in plastic totes and avoid cardboard boxes.

Keep them in a room that doesn't have extreme changes in temperature.

Keep them out of the sun, because it will fade everything.

I'm sure others will join in with tons more tips for you.

Nice collection. As far as preserving your games and keeping them you can do some of the following:

Put individual games inside of sandwich baggies.

Store them in plastic totes and avoid cardboard boxes.

Keep them in a room that doesn't have extreme changes in temperature.

Keep them out of the sun, because it will fade everything.

I'm sure others will join in with tons more tips for you.

Thank you for the tips. I will get some sandwich bags for them.

What about cardboard boxes is so bad for the games?

It depends on WHERE you store them.

Baggies are unnecessary if you keep them in, say, your spare bedroom. I've had a bookshelf of loose carts for ... like twenty years, and I owned my original stuff for 30. Never had a lick of trouble. Had 'em in a cardboard box under the bed for a decade until I put them on a shelf.

Atari carts are tough as nails. The only time I'd be using baggies is if you have to keep them out in the garage. Temperature and moisture are your main enemies.

Keep them in a nice, temperature controlled room and you'll be fine. No extra upkeep needed :)

Nice start to the collection too. It's a really fun hobby. :thumbsup:

I use this for all of my carts (5200, Jag, 7800, 2600. It seems to fit everything perfectly. Protects, displays nicely, conserves space, drawers are completely removable:

http://www.staples.com/Iris-6-Drawer-Organizer/product_809574?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Office_Supplies%3ETotes_%26_Drawer_Storage-_-809574-116117&cid=CSE:GoogleBase:Office_Supplies:Totes_%26_Drawer_Storage:809574:116117

I use this for all of my carts (5200, Jag, 7800, 2600. It seems to fit everything perfectly. Protects, displays nicely, conserves space, drawers are completely removable:

http://www.staples.com/Iris-6-Drawer-Organizer/product_809574?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Office_Supplies%3ETotes_%26_Drawer_Storage-_-809574-116117&cid=CSE:GoogleBase:Office_Supplies:Totes_%26_Drawer_Storage:809574:116117

That looks like a great storage compartment! You can fit many different systems games there. Thanks!