IGNORED

Flimbo's Quest and some parallax

José Pereira

Hi to all.

:ponder:

Sometimes I go into this one, alone in the deep of my Dark Chamber...

Sometimes, and some minutes ago was one of that "sometimes"

But now I want to ear some opinions from you.

This is one that even with my G2F and my ideas I can't get anything.

I see how to turn things into 5colour Mode and some DLIs., even our Kid, but what about Enemys (2,3,4 Enemys by Line)? They will always be PF2&PF3 clash...

Re-use PMs, something like Ripper for the Enemys and it could work, but will it flicker much?

Parallax Scrolling doesn't seem to be the BIG PROBLEM, more the Sprites, I think...

From what I am seeing it uses C64 Multicolour CharMode in this way:

AT THE BEGINING BEGINING (just as an example):

Brown

Blue

Pink

C64 colourMap (like PF2&PF3 on A8, different on different Chars):

Black (Trees,...)

Yellow (Trees)

Red (Fruits)

White (some Platforms,...)

Green (Plants)

Bottom Green is replacement of Pink from above, just an A8 DLI.

And now? :? :? :? :?

José Pereira.

I ripped Flimbo's background gfx for my own parallax tests...

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=5313

it uses a fair amount of chars for the background details while on the foreground need less chars... and they are 4 fonts needed with preshifted background gfx. so if you are optimising in G2F or think to enhance stuff bare in mind that you need to flip through 4 chars to get the parallax effect.

I ripped Flimbo's background gfx for my own parallax tests...

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=5313

it uses a fair amount of chars for the background details while on the foreground need less chars... and they are 4 fonts needed with preshifted background gfx. so if you are optimising in G2F or think to enhance stuff bare in mind that you need to flip through 4 chars to get the parallax effect.

Thanks.

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

The Parallax gfxs. acts like large SoftSprites, and indeed 4shapes needed to go changing on the normal Fine Scrolling Chars.

I am playing with a Screen and get a not bad IMHO in a CharMode more DLIs.

Now, if we need to go changing 4times each of the Parallax Gfxs, these are large Soft Sprites.

This make me thinking:

With an already large amount of SoftSprite for Parallax, using more SoftSprites for Player and Enemys with PMs. overlays are out of question (many, many Soft Sprites moving at the same time), or not?

With thisit will only be possible to have "our Kid" using 2Sprites Multicolour (get 3colours, more with a DLI:3colours top on Hat/Head and more 3colours on bottom for the Clothes/Shoes) and the other 2PMs for one Enemy (in the same way to get 3colours).

Than using probably something like a check and see if there's 1more or not PM on that Line (like that Contra/Super Mario Bros Sprites Engine example and/or a Ripper "alike"?

Or could it be possible to go into 2PMs.(PM0&1) overlayin PF0&PF1 for two Enemys at a Line, leaving 1SoftSprite with PM2&3 for our Kid?

This is just some questions, if you can give me some answers.

Probably we never get this one into A8, but just to see what could have been possible.

EMKAY: Just PMs for the Parallax it will not change anything.

You still have PFs. there and most important is that on Parallax Gfxs. the main colours are the same as the front/Fine Scrolling ones.

The better and where you need PMs. in a way or another is for the Players moving around to get different colours.

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

I think that the great lack of A8 is not having more Sprites by Line.

8Sprites like C64, even only one colour and we have 4Multicolour. It were Our Player and 3Enemys by Line.

As I show (others also like Contra, Super Mario Bros.,...)on the Bad DudesvsDragon Ninja with good planing/clever colours/DLIs. we can get better looking on Horizontal scrollers:

post-6517-128422595038_thumb.png

And just see what just 5colours with DLIs. you get:

post-6517-1284226019_thumb.png

Now is the time I would like to ear your opinions.

Some ideas about IMHo I think we already have, but now the Player and the Enemys?

Answers, ideas, thoughts, please?

José Pereira.

EMKAY: Just PMs for the Parallax it will not change anything.

You still have PFs. there and most important is that on Parallax Gfxs. the main colours are the same as the front/Fine Scrolling ones.

The better and where you need PMs. in a way or another is for the Players moving around to get different colours.

Just some small updates:

post-6517-128423028898_thumb.png

José Pereira.

Well, it's the question: Do you want to project the most colours on the screen, or do you want to have the possibility of making a game?