IGNORED

I must be the world's worst driver :(

Tickled_Pink

Playing Forza online yesterday gave me the feeling that I must be the world's worst driver. It was pretty demoralising to see others with identical cars having fastest laps that were 8 seconds faster than mine, and speeding past me on a straight - all after I'd put in what I thought was a pretty tidy bit of driving.

What the hell am I doing wrong? I tend to stand on the brakes at corners insted of gently pressing them down. Not sure how much of a factor that it. I tried it without anti-lock brakes on a Hot Lap to force myself to touch the brakes and came in the top 29%, which wasn't too bad ... although there were obvious places I lost time.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

The most important part of racing is being able to get out of a corner quickly. Those people that blow by you on the straights are able to get back up to speed a lot quicker out of the corner than you are. They may be using a racing wheel. That will give them a huge advantage right there because they can be a lot smoother in their driving than someone with just the 360 controller.

You generally want all your steering, braking and acceleration movements to be smooth.

Your line into a corner is important because it will help you carry the most momentum through the corner. Also if you're too busy trying to get slown down for the corner you're not going to be in the optimum place at the optimum speed to get out of the corner quickly.

If you want consistency going into corners pick a landmark where you need to start braking and try to use it every time.

Something real life drivers do that these people are also probably doing is using the brake and accelerator at the same time. It's the heal and toe method. Basically using the accelerator while you brake makes the car more stable while braking but that's something I'd worry about later.

I'd bet those people that are 8 seconds faster have wheels, play a lot more than you do and actually tune their car setups.

Even after all that, some people just drive like aliens.

The most important part of racing is being able to get out of a corner quickly. Those people that blow by you on the straights are able to get back up to speed a lot quicker out of the corner than you are. They may be using a racing wheel. That will give them a huge advantage right there because they can be a lot smoother in their driving than someone with just the 360 controller.

You generally want all your steering, braking and acceleration movements to be smooth.

Your line into a corner is important because it will help you carry the most momentum through the corner. Also if you're too busy trying to get slown down for the corner you're not going to be in the optimum place at the optimum speed to get out of the corner quickly.

If you want consistency going into corners pick a landmark where you need to start braking and try to use it every time.

Something real life drivers do that these people are also probably doing is using the brake and accelerator at the same time. It's the heal and toe method. Basically using the accelerator while you brake makes the car more stable while braking but that's something I'd worry about later.

I'd bet those people that are 8 seconds faster have wheels, play a lot more than you do and actually tune their car setups.

Even after all that, some people just drive like aliens.

Thanks. I did find a great guide on IGN (I'll see if I can find it again) which explained the problem I have with braking.

I have been using a wheel (a Logitech) the past week or so. My achilles heel has to be the braking and thinking about it now, it makes a great deal of sense to avoid the wheels locking up as it really drags the revs and momentum down. The problem I have is that with normal gaming pedals there's no feedback. So I'm used to pressing fairly hard against the brake pedal on a real car and need to change my style a bit when driving in Forza.

I had to look up the heel and toe method and found a great vid of Ayrton Senna doing it. Jeez!icon_confused.gif Doesn't look easy. I'll have to look at the vid again to see under what conditions you should use it.

Car tuning is also something I haven't really bothered with. I'm really going to have to go nuts on a couple of cars this week.icon_smile.gif

It also depends on what class race, or if its forced non upgrade class race.

If you go in with a non tuned car in a class race you will get served quite often (because people do upgrade and tune the car to the max for that class, if you are in a forced non upgrade class race then you driving skills are put to the test over who has the best upgrade car setup.

if your car is properly upgraded and tuned then you do not have to rely on driving skills as much.

again it really depends on what class and what type of race you was doing.

on a non upgraded class race i can keep up with the pack and usually ger 2nd or 3rd (sometimes 1st) but they do not leave me.

but most of the times in a class that allows upgrades i will loose quite horribly (depending on what track it is). I came into 1st place only a few times.

Then you have to watch out for the butt holes that like to use you as the brake during a corner or like to spin you out because your passing them.

Edited by madmax2069

Then you have to watch out for the butt holes that like to use you as the brake during a corner or like to spin you out because your passing them.

Those are the ones that really piss me off. Lost my cool big time with one tiny dick the other day who, because I slammed into him after he lost control big time and swerved into my path, he'd ram me from behind. Then after he got past he'd lay in wait for me. I let off steam after the race through the messenger. Fucking asshole.

What got me thinking was the cycled production races, where you all drive the same unmodified cars. My performance compared to the others was pathetic. This week I'm going to try and get some practice in on some hot laps and change my technique.

My technique so far has involved taking care not to crash on the first lap and wait for the inevitable pileup in front of me.icon_mrgreen.gif I have managed second in one race with some decent drivers. My only wins have come on 1-on-1 races with other drivers of similar skill (or lack of).

"it makes a great deal of sense to avoid the wheels locking up as it really drags the revs and momentum down. "

You certainly don't want to be locking up the brakes every corner. That's not how you're supposed to drive and your brakes aren't being very effective if they're locked up. Doing it is greatly increasing your braking distances and reduces your ability to turn into the corner.

It also is going to greatly increase the wear on the tires (Don't think this is modeled in Forza 3) and increase their temperature beyond optimum levels(Which is modeled in the Forza titles).

Another thing that partially explains your slowness in identical cars is many people have developed setups for these titles or downloaded them if they play much multiplayer. You could be in the identical car, but if it's not setup to take advantage of the circuit, you're going to be slower.

Edited by Atariboy

another thing that makes a huge improvement in the straight away is by using manual with clutch, your acceleration will improve by a bit giving you a edge over someone that's using auto or manual without clutch.

Its a PITA to learn but once you do its like night and day.

How do you do a manual with clutch when using a wheel with just two pedals? I have noticed that quite a few of the drivers with the best laps in 'Hot Lap' are using manual with clutch (although I did manage to get into the 'A class' top 1% on the Camino circuit with an Audi R8 5.2 earlier). Car selection on tracks is obviously another thing I need to take more notice of. My upgraded Audi R8 is pretty good on Camino, but is an absolute bitch to drive on Mugello. Just won't stay on the friggin' road. Not sure why.icon_confused.gif

The problem I've found with the Logitech pedals is the lack of force acting against you on the pedals. There's little way of knowing how far you've pressed the brake or throttle. You need to be wearing slippers to even feel them.

There is another problem with the wheel itself. Sometimes I have to pull it out of the Xbox and then put it back in to reset it. After a while it can start having too much play in the centre position, making cars virtually undrivable.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

The problem here is mainly that you're playing online. After the first week of release, pretty much ANY game is filled online by kids who just play that game - all the time - and you're not going to beat them. I've given up on the whole thing, it's just not worth it. Try playing with people you know who have a similar life to yourself.

If you're the industrious type you could probably buy a squash ball and install it under the brake pedal to give it a much more realistic feel. Lots of PC racers do this sort of thing. Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.lugnutsracing.com/pedals.php

It's not for your specific wheel but the principals should be the same.