IGNORED

List of C compilers available for the 8-bit

tjb

The only C compilers I know of for the Atari 8-bit machines (the ones hosted on the machine itself) are:

Deep Blue C originally from APX and later Antic

Lightspeed C from Clearstar Softtechnologies (Apparently B & C Computervisions acquired the rights to this one at some point - I picked up a copy from them a while back)

C/65 (from OSS?)

I want to say there was an "Ace C" that was some derivative of Deep Blue C (or vice versa) but I can't recall for sure. Are there any others? Of those only C/65 generates native code (assembler source actually). I must admit I'm a little disappointed that the Atari 8-bits didn't have more C compilers available. It seems like the C64 had some really good native code producing compilers. I was always wondering why we didn't. Thoughts?

tjb

The only C compilers I know of for the Atari 8-bit machines (the ones hosted on the machine itself) are:

Lightspeed C from Clearstar Softtechnologies (Apparently B & C Computervisions acquired the rights to this one at some point - I picked up a copy from them a while back)

C/65 (from OSS?)

I want to say there was an "Ace C" that was some derivative of Deep Blue C (or vice versa) but I can't recall for sure. Are there any others? Of those only C/65 generates native code (assembler source actually). I must admit I'm a little disappointed that the Atari 8-bits didn't have more C compilers available. It seems like the C64 had some really good native code producing compilers. I was always wondering why we didn't. Thoughts?

tjb

Here you casn find a list of programming languages with references:

http://gury.atari8.info/html_category/s_computer_languages.htm

-Devwebcl

C/65 (from OSS?)

tjb

Here you casn find a list of programming languages with references:

http://gury.atari8.i...r_languages.htm

-Devwebcl

Wow, that's great! Thanks!

tjb

Don't forget CC65 (the PD one) - that was distinct from C/65, wasn't it? I fancy recompiling that with a few optimisations if I can find the source code; should run fast with an HDD.

That's the one from Page 6 magazine, correct? It was published with sources? Did it produce native code (directly or indirectly)?

tjb

That's the one from Page 6 magazine, correct? It was published with sources? Did it produce native code (directly or indirectly)?

That's the one:

ds111.zip

It compiles to RA65 assembler code, then pure 6502 binary. What C compiler on the PC would be best to rebuild this? I fancy adding double-buffered I/O and such like (the I/O was single byte and way slow under SpartaDOS X with the library turned off).

Edited by flashjazzcat

sounds like a make-work project. icon_smile.gif Why wouldn't you be cross-developing on a modern machine?

I am, but I'd love to do some development on real hardware. All I ever used to use the Atari for was writing software so my current projects are kind of a means without an end. CC65 was pretty capable, just slow...

That's the one:

ds111.zip

It compiles to RA65 assembler code, then pure 6502 binary. What C compiler on the PC would be best to rebuild this? I fancy adding double-buffered I/O and such like (the I/O was single byte and way slow under SpartaDOS X with the library turned off).

I was looking over the disks in the distribution and it looks like the C sources for the compiler itself are included. Is that to say that CC65 can be used to build itself? I wasn't sure what you meant when you asked which PC-based compiler would be best but now I take it you are referring to a PC-based cross-compiler to rebuild the entire suite of apps? I also noticed quite a bit of assembler source much of which I would imagine would be the RTL sources but I wonder if the initial "bootstrap" version of the compiler is included as well?

tjb

I was looking over the disks in the distribution and it looks like the C sources for the compiler itself are included. Is that to say that CC65 can be used to build itself?

Yes, that's why doing some amendments is an attractive proposition. I once rather crazily attempted to use CC65 to recompile itself on a 130XE with an XF551 disk drive over a decade ago, and the experience was neither pleasant nor in any way successful! I don't believe it would be possible now, either.

I wasn't sure what you meant when you asked which PC-based compiler would be best but now I take it you are referring to a PC-based cross-compiler to rebuild the entire suite of apps? I also noticed quite a bit of assembler source much of which I would imagine would be the RTL sources but I wonder if the initial "bootstrap" version of the compiler is included as well?

Absolutely: I just wondered which would be the cross-compiler of choice. I think there are a few source files missing in the distribution I posted. I have the original floppies and I'm going to check through them when I get a chance.