IGNORED

Emulating the A8 on Nintendo DS

Rybags

I've got the possibility to buy a DS.

The area of interest for me would be homebrew and emulation.

So, how is the emulation for A8 in particular, and other older platforms on the DS?

Unfortunately PokeyDS isn't updated since 2007.

Old thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/117042-looks-promising-pokeyds/page__p__1412566__hl__nds__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=1412566

If you want emulation get a Dingoo, the DS is not powerful enough for most emulators IMO

I agree.

Dingoo is cheap and very portable too.

Perhaps the screen is a little small (at least for >40 years old eyes).

agreed, shame the rumored A330 does not address this

If you want emulation get a Dingoo, the DS is not powerful enough for most emulators IMO

I agree.

For all the above reasons, this is why in that old thread I recommended using the psp at the time. The alternatives are not as good.

I agree.

For all the above reasons, this is why in that old thread I recommended using the psp at the time. The alternatives are not as good.

but the PSP is too big (well to fit in any of my pockets anyway)and the control on the PSP still sucks

Oh well, I've taken the plunge.

Getting kinda bored with Golf on the mobile phone, so it'll open up some more options.

I love the DS. I've only fooled with Pokey DS for a few minutes - enough to smile since it was cool just to see. I haven't used it much and expect little. But the DS (DS Lite is my choice) is my favorite portable. I don't have time (nor inclination) to get into heavy-duty portable gaming, so I'm not really interested in getting a PSP but I think they're cool. If I want to play deep games I use a regular TV console. The puzzle games and classic coin-ops are where it's at for me, and the DS Lite is my favorite because of the GBA slot, for which I have puzzle games and coin-ops galore - some of the GBA coin-op compilations are preferred (by me) than the DS counterparts. Used DS games are cheap. I don't know if flashcarts are still available, and I don't know if they work on the newer iterations (DSi, DSi XL) either. I already owned most of the DS games I like to play when I got a "M3 DS Real" flashcart, which seems to diminish battery life over "real" games. If I put the 4 "Advance Wars" games (2 GBA, 2 DS) in the bag with the DS I don't need anything else to occupy airplane time at all. The lack of the GBA slot has turned me from DSi/XL; how can I play Advance Wars 1 & 2 on that? Too bad, I wouldn't give piss for the SD slot they substituted.

There are also clear plastic "shells" that perfectly fit the DS Lite and keep it like brand new. With a screen protector on the bottom screen, mine looks like it did the day it was bought, after 2-3 years of being tossed into bags. That's worth something, if you're particular about hating scratched console surfaces and detests damaged screens.

I don't know if flashcarts are still available, and I don't know if they work on the newer iterations (DSi, DSi XL) either. I already owned most of the DS games I like to play when I got a "M3 DS Real" flashcart, which seems to diminish battery life over "real" games. If I put the 4 "Advance Wars" games (2 GBA, 2 DS) in the bag with the DS I don't need anything else to occupy airplane time at all. The lack of the GBA slot has turned me from DSi/XL; how can I play Advance Wars 1 & 2 on that? Too bad, I wouldn't give piss for the SD slot they substituted.

I have a DSi XL and I can confirm that Acekard 2i works on it. The only program I've had issues with is DSOrganizer.

There is a GBA emulator for the DSi, but it requires another card called "iplayer" which is apparently made to run homebrews and media.

I have a DSi XL and I can confirm that Acekard 2i works on it. The only program I've had issues with is DSOrganizer.

There is a GBA emulator for the DSi, but it requires another card called "iplayer" which is apparently made to run homebrews and media.

Thanks for the info! But is it possible the DSi/XL will do an auto-firmware update - either from an online connection, or a forced-update from a new game cartridge, that would lock it out anytime? I think (I do not claim to know however) I read that's possible, and the DS Lite is non-upgradable so it'll never be a problem.....which is why I'm surprised they still sell the DS lite with the price cut on the DSi to $150.

From the pic, it's hard to tell where the iPlayer plugs in? Assuming it's the SD slot? Hmmmm.....maybe DSi XL in my future one day, then...heh heh if it would play the GBA games that way! All of this kind of stuff is MUCH harder to get, since places like Deal Extreme even quit carrying them. I think Nintendo's done a hell of a job of crushing the sellers of these devices, if they even have the unscrupulous Chinese sellers running scared and quitting the biz.

I sure hope they don't do something like an auto-firmware update, but I can see that it might be feasible. I have complete faith in the cleverness of those who make these things possible. Right now, my Acekard plays because my DSi thinks it's Danny Phantom. I'm cool with that, so long as it works.

The iPlayer is a slot 1 device. From the sound of it, they're specifically to support homebrew and video and won't support ROMs. Probably in a bid to make themselves more acceptable to the big company?

I found this Acekard from a Canadian company, but the iPlayer has links to dealers selling their stuff.

I bought a DS Lite for emulation, but I found that the Atari 8 and 16-bit emulators just struggled too much on the DS's slow processor. The 2600 emulation is good, but it's been so long I can't remember if I was using Stella or...was there another one?

But it's fantastic for emulating older Nintendo products. NES, SNES, GB, GBA emus all work fantastic, as does the Sega Genesis emulator.

In the end, I found myself playing actual DS games more than emulators, so I'm happy with what I've got.

I keep watching how the Pandora handheld progresses, but between the DS and my netbook, I'm pretty well covered.

The last I used the Atari 8-bit emulator for the DS it was almost at playable speed, but not quite 100%.

The author then went on to port a bunch of other emus, but never went back to finish what he started sadly.

As for the DS not having the Beef to pull off full speed emulation...

Well I can play Turbo GFX 16 (PC Engine) games on it perfectly, so I don't see why the Atari 8-Bit emulator couldn't be updated to faster either.

Playing Yoomp! on the DSiXL would be grand! :)

The last I used the Atari 8-bit emulator for the DS it was almost at playable speed, but not quite 100%.

The author then went on to port a bunch of other emus, but never went back to finish what he started sadly.

Well I can play Turbo GFX 16 (PC Engine) games on it perfectly, so I don't see why the Atari 8-Bit emulator couldn't be updated to faster either.

I have a DSi XL, how does this emulator work-- can I just run off the SD card or do I need some special card?

I have a DSi XL, how does this emulator work-- can I just run off the SD card or do I need some special card?

you need a special card, not sure what works on the XL's though

These guys still carry an extensive collection of those cartridges for the DS (GamerSection) I assume they will ship to the US. Right now they are incredibly cheap as well!

I play with PokeyDS on my kids DS every now and then - having the keyboard available at all times makes it much more usable than other implementations. My biggest complaint is with the crappy sound. I'd be willing to make a donation in order to encourage the author to resume work on it - anyone else?

Edited by jacobus

you need a special card, not sure what works on the XL's though

The XL has the SD card slot (which I have yet to use) and the normal ROM slot. There's the R4I card that allows running other games downloaded into SD cards that plug into the R4I card.

Divya: I use the R4i SDHC 1.4, but I'm sure about any other card should work too, unless you upgraded to Nintendo's latest firmware, then you have to be selective on what card you buy as they all don't currently work atm.

I haven't upgraded but there's built-in internet so if it did it automatically I am not aware of it. It's a recent purchase so if there's a way to tell which firmware is in there, let me know.