IGNORED

SpartaDOS X MyIDE Driver

flashjazzcat

That's good news - at least three testers. Motivation is hardly the issue now, though: it's the sheer speed of the hands on the clock which limits what I can get done. I just finished writing the user's manual (1st draft) which includes a quick-start guide (and lots of pictures). Driver looks to be in shape, but I still haven't flashed it to my IntSDX. As I just told Hias: I'm tired now, so I'd better leave the tricky stuff till tomorrow. RC1 is guaranteed to show in less than 24 hours from now! :)

And I managed that deadline... Just. icon_smile.gif

For those not on the beta test list, here's the latest documentation for the driver:

SDX MyIDE User Manual (1.0RC).pdf

SpartaDOS X MyIDE Technical Reference (4th Draft).pdf

Merry Christmas. I'm off back to the darkened room...

Edited by flashjazzcat

And I managed that deadline... Just. icon_smile.gif

For those not on the beta test list, here's the latest documentation for the driver:

SDX MyIDE User Manual (1.0RC).pdf

SpartaDOS X MyIDE Technical Reference (4th Draft).pdf

Merry Christmas. I'm off back to the darkened room...

Can you please PM me the driver. Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I'm off the beta list and can't get back on.

Not to worry... that issue has been dealt with.

Finally found another CF card which works with this interface: Sandisk Ultra II 1GB. Reads are around 2KB/s slower, but writes are considerably faster that with the Transcend cards. The DOS average in RWTEST comes out at 65KB/s. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. Thanks for your interest. Let me dig out the files and I'll send them across to you. In actual fact, the driver (virtually finished, bar any serious bug reports) has been in stagnation for a couple of months. I'm basically waiting for SDX 4.43 to be released, and I'll release the MyIDE-enabled cart images soon after.

Hi. Thanks for your interest. Let me dig out the files and I'll send them across to you. In actual fact, the driver (virtually finished, bar any serious bug reports) has been in stagnation for a couple of months. I'm basically waiting for SDX 4.43 to be released, and I'll release the MyIDE-enabled cart images soon after.

Still waiting for the 4.43 release? I have been following the thread and waiting for the MyIDE cart images...

Frank

It's beeing running quite well on my Transcend MyIDE setup, but I can't figure out why it's not reading my CONFIG.SYS. It reads AUTOEXEC.BAT, but I can't load device drivers in there (at least it doesn't seem to like it) Is there something known about reading CONFIG.SYS from a MyIDE device?

Frank

PM'd...

It's beeing running quite well on my Transcend MyIDE setup, but I can't figure out why it's not reading my CONFIG.SYS. It reads AUTOEXEC.BAT, but I can't load device drivers in there (at least it doesn't seem to like it) Is there something known about reading CONFIG.SYS from a MyIDE device?

This is a known limitation. If you read the documentation, I think it explains the reason. The driver which enables the computer to communicate with the MyIDE interface is loaded via the default CONFIG.SYS on the SDX ROM. Prior to this driver being loaded, the computer has absolutely no means of accessing the hard disk. So, as you can see, it's not possible to load a custom CONFIG.SYS from the hard disk. You can certainly load one from a serial device, however (useful if you want to override the HDD boot process for any reason).

This is a bit of a PITA, but will be circumvented when the SDX Customizer is released. You'll then be able to tailor the default CONFIG.SYS to your requirements, and flash the modified ROM to the SDX cart.

In reality, most of the lines in CONFIG.SYS can quite happily be moved to AUTOEXEC.BAT.

This is one of the disadvantages of any HDD interface which doesn't install itself as a standard PBI handler using the OS routines. I'm not a fan of custom Operating Systems myself, so creating an SDX driver which loads from the cart seemed a unique opportunity to make MyIDE both less invasive and rather more "elegant". I use the system myself every day.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I had read that in the docs, but I thought (hoped) it would load both the default and a custom one. Chaining the two.

I didn't have any luck adding "USE BANKED" in autoexec.bat :-(

This is a known limitation. If you read the documentation, I think it explains the reason. The driver which enables the computer to communicate with the MyIDE interface is loaded via the default CONFIG.SYS on the SDX ROM. Prior to this driver being loaded, the computer has absolutely no means of accessing the hard disk. So, as you can see, it's not possible to load a custom CONFIG.SYS from the hard disk. You can certainly load one from a serial device, however (useful if you want to override the HDD boot process for any reason).

This is a bit of a PITA, but will be circumvented when the SDX Customizer is released. You'll then be able to tailor the default CONFIG.SYS to your requirements, and flash the modified ROM to the SDX cart.

In reality, most of the lines in CONFIG.SYS can quite happily be moved to AUTOEXEC.BAT.

This is one of the disadvantages of any HDD interface which doesn't install itself as a standard PBI handler using the OS routines. I'm not a fan of custom Operating Systems myself, so creating an SDX driver which loads from the cart seemed a unique opportunity to make MyIDE both less invasive and rather more "elegant". I use the system myself every day.

Edited by Frankie

I had read that in the docs, but I thought (hoped) it would load both the default and a custom one. Chaining the two.

I didn't have any luck adding "USE BANKED" in autoexec.bat :-(

No - it would be a nice idea if the default CONFIG.SYS could "chain" another, but of course the purpose of a CONFIG.SYS on disk is to completely override the default.

You won't have any luck with "USE BANKED" in AUTOEXEC.BAT. The command is specific to CONFIG.SYS, and is so fundamental to SDX's memory organization that it must be actioned before any drivers are loaded. I think the supplied ROMs will use banked RAM by default if you have more than 128KB.