IGNORED

Need some help - Atari 800

Jon S

There's a few threads in the forums about this. Did you try searching? ;)

The main culprit is *usually* oxidisation of the key contacts. I think there's a thread in one of the stickies at the top of the topic list about it, but one quick and easy fix is to keep hitting the same key over and over again for a while (pretend you're playing your fave arcade game and that key is fire). It may suddenly start to work. If this is the case then dirty or oxidised contacts are probably the problem.

Edited by spookt

The main culprit is *usually* oxidisation of the key contacts. I think there's a thread in one of the stickies at the top of the topic list about it, but one quick and easy fix is to keep hitting the same key over and over again for a while (pretend you're playing your fave arcade game and that key is fire). It may suddenly start to work. If this is the case then dirty or oxidised contacts are probably the problem.

you are right... the keyboard is the culprit. I have a Mitsumi keyboard which uses a mylar membrane. the keys themselves are connected to a flexible plastic post which is terminated to a conductive material. when the keys are pressed, the conductive material contacts copper wires on the mylar. the only key that worked on the keyboard was the #7 key, all the others keys do not work. I am trying to remove the mylar sheet to clean all the copper wires with an eraser or contact cleaner but the mylar is glued somewhat to the bottom of the keyboard. I can peel some of it away but the mylar begins to rip in some areas. Is there an easier way to do this?

you are right... the keyboard is the culprit. I have a Mitsumi keyboard which uses a mylar membrane. the keys themselves are connected to a flexible plastic post which is terminated to a conductive material. when the keys are pressed, the conductive material contacts copper wires on the mylar. the only key that worked on the keyboard was the #7 key, all the others keys do not work. I am trying to remove the mylar sheet to clean all the copper wires with an eraser or contact cleaner but the mylar is glued somewhat to the bottom of the keyboard. I can peel some of it away but the mylar begins to rip in some areas. Is there an easier way to do this?

why not buy a brand new keyboard? It's only $25 american currency! :D

There's some info on 1200XL keyboard repair in post 6 of this thread. The procedure is probably similar. But as qix_maniac says B&C and Best still sell brand new keyboards for not much money which may be a whole lot easier.

I followed the 1200XL keyboard thread and did the same to my Atari 800... it now works perfectly...

I used to work at a computer store in the 80s that dealt with the Atari. When they folded, I was able to get their entire inventory of parts... I ended up with a couple of 600XLs, a few 800XLs, a 1200XL, a 130XE and about four 800s NIB. I also got their entire inventory of partsm tons of CPUs, GTIAs , POKEYS and ANTIC chips. Also a couple of 1050 and 810 drives, three 850 interfaces. Unfortunately, when i got into IBM PCs, my wife had me dump everything. I had service manuals, just about every game imaginable... Man, I really wish i did not toss the lot... I had a small home and it was taking too much space... I wanted to keep just a 800 and a 800XL system and the software but no dice.... karma.

Now I am getting back into Atari, trying to buy what I can find. All my Atari friends tossed their systems. I gotta start from scratch.